Once Staunch 2A Sopporter Inroduces Anti Gun Bill
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Once Staunch 2A Sopporter Inroduces Anti Gun Bill

Once Staunch 2A Sopporter Inroduces Anti Gun Bill

Is this bill really anti 2A? It only requires reporting lost or stolen guns something a truly responsible gun owner would do anyway. While I don't agree with the extent of punishment allowed I'm kind of on the border about this one. Opinions?

New Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy Introduces Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Gun Reporting

Personal Responsibility

Seems like a no-brainer. I don't see it as a 2A issue. Once the gun is missing or stolen it no longer is a RTKBA issue, it has moved into a law enforcement issue. As a responsible gun ownerI feel it is my duty to repport a missing gun to help recover it as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Seems like a no-brainer. I don't see it as a 2A issue. Once the gun is missing or stolen it no longer is a RTKBA issue, it has moved into a law enforcement issue. As a responsible gun ownerI feel it is my duty to repport a missing gun to help recover it as quickly as possible.
    It can also save your @ss (or help it) if the gun is used in a felony and the gun is recovered, but the shooter is not captured.

Then there's the insurance part.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Is this bill really anti 2A? It only requires reporting lost or stolen guns something a truly responsible gun owner would do anyway. While I don't agree with the extent of punishment allowed I'm kind of on the border about this one. Opinions?

New Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy Introduces Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Gun Reporting
    I know of this one. I agree that people should be smart and contact LEO asap on any lost or stolen guns. That should be common sense to anyone wanting to own a gun, but unfortunately there are those out there who drive cars and should not be allowed to either. I am always leary of anything coming from McCarthy on guns. That b_ _ ch is anti-gun thru and thru!

C'mon! Use your heads, guys. If someone breaks into my house and steals ANYTHING, I"m calling the cops. Ditto if someone breaks into my vehicle. All well and good. But making it a crime to fail to report a stolen GUN? Gee! What if I fail to report a stolen TV? A stolen laptop? A stolen baseball bat - now there's a threat to society.

Yep! I don't want anyone stealing a gun from me and committing a crime with it. But a law that sends you to jail or permits a big fine? Every time the government gets involved in gun legislation, it's not only bad, it's wrong. Period!
    -= Piece Corps =-

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    C'mon! Use your heads, guys. If someone breaks into my house and steals ANYTHING, I"m calling the cops. Ditto if someone breaks into my vehicle. All well and good. But making it a crime to fail to report a stolen GUN? Gee! What if I fail to report a stolen TV? A stolen laptop? A stolen baseball bat - now there's a threat to society.

Yep! I don't want anyone stealing a gun from me and committing a crime with it. But a law that sends you to jail or permits a big fine? Every time the government gets involved in gun legislation, it's not only bad, it's wrong. Period!
    X2! Smaller government is better government, and fewer regs tend to be better regs.

It seems to be another form of trying to leglislate common sense.
    This is not too dissimilar from the government telling restaurants that they have to post nutrition information on menus and menuboards, just in case you didn't realize that fast food is generally unhealthy!

My assumption is that this type of legislation can become an open door for more distinct anti-gun legislation.

I haven't read this bill so I don't know the details. But, some of the bills in the past (that I did read) have included an unreasonable time requirement. For instance, one I recall required that the gun be reported stolen within 72 hours. PERIOD. So, if you're on vacation and somebody breaks into your home and you report it as soon as you return you may be charged. If the gun was stolen 72 hours before you returned and discovered it, the wording in the law made you guilty of failure to report. The authors of the bill did this on purpose. When asked about it they blithely stated that gun owners should be required to know if their guns are stolen.

It's just another unreasonable law.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I see that some saw the same possible flaws in this law that I did. Unreasonable punishment for failure to report (up to one year in jail) and a short (72 hour) time limit to make the report. While I agree that this law shouldn't be required, if you think about it no law should be required. To me it's just common sense to report stolen or lost firearms but then it's common sense not to do many things that are currently crimes.

I've never stumbled upon a lost firearm, not sure if anyone else has. Heck if there that prevalent, you think we should have a "Search for your lost Weapon Day" Nationwide? Or maybe "Find that 9 mil day and be a winner"!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast