Eliminate the Electoral College. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the Electoral College.

Personally, I'm all for going with the popular vote during elections. With everything computerized anyway tallying the popular vote would be just as easy as the electoral vote. It also gives a much better idea of where a candidate actually stood in the election. Someone could get elected by electoral vote and have an overwhelming majority but when the popular vote is looked at it shows that they may actually be only a few percentage points apart. It would also result in personal votes counting more since there would be no "college" to decide a close race.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Personally, I'm all for going with the popular vote during elections. With everything computerized anyway tallying the popular vote would be just as easy as the electoral vote. It also gives a much better idea of where a candidate actually stood in the election. Someone could get elected by electoral vote and have an overwhelming majority but when the popular vote is looked at it shows that they may actually be only a few percentage points apart. It would also result in personal votes counting more since there would be no "college" to decide a close race.
    This premise sounds good, RW, but in point of fact, I'd like less people voting than more. My oldest son did not vote 1.5 years ago because he claimed not to be informed enough. I was irritated that he did not keep up (he's a college-educated professional, fwiw) but was impressed with his integrity. Too many people who do not know the issues and who glom off the system will vote for whomever will give them stuff and I see this increasing, if the electoral college was abolished. I know this is an elitist position and I'll take the flak for it.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

4. Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Except no one would campaign (or listen to) in any state between the Appalachians and the Rockies. The electoral college gives representation to the states with a lower populations.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I still contend the Electoral College like the Second Amendment is timeless...

Just imagine if we went with popular vote and then Obama & Company gave Amnesty to the 47 million and counting Illegal Aliens...

Part of being founded as a Constitutional Republic vs. the Mob-Rule Democracy, (not withstanding liberal, progressive politicians, media talking heads and Obama loving forum infiltrators...), the Liberals teaching school and writing text books say we are, is to ensure that the majority's do not trample the rights of the minority's, through Coercion ...

FEDERALIST No. 68

The Mode of Electing the President
    From the New York Packet.
    Friday, March 14, 1788.

In the Federalist Papers #68 ...
    Hamilton and the other founders believed that the electors would be able to insure that only a qualified person becomes President. They believed that with the Electoral College no one would be able to manipulate the citizenry. It would act as check on an electorate that might be duped. Hamilton and the other founders did not trust the population to make the right choice. The founders also believed that the Electoral College had the advantage of being a group that met only once and thus could not be manipulated over time by foreign governments or others.
    Federalist Papers: FEDERALIST No. 68

Also, I want to emphatically state NOTHING COMPUTERIZED IS 100% SAFE...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    This premise sounds good, RW, but in point of fact, I'd like less people voting than more. My oldest son did not vote 1.5 years ago because he claimed not to be informed enough. I was irritated that he did not keep up (he's a college-educated professional, fwiw) but was impressed with his integrity. Too many people who do not know the issues and who glom off the system will vote for whomever will give them stuff and I see this increasing, if the electoral college was abolished. I know this is an elitist position and I'll take the flak for it.
    I don't really think there would be a change in how many voted, just how they're tabulated. Those who vote now would continue to vote and those who fail their civic duty would continue to do so. The problem with the electoral college is that they don't actually have to vote for the candidate with the highest popular vote. They can basically vote for whichever candidate they desire. Yes they would probably be voted out in upcoming elections but the damage would already be done. Now for the real question. Will the electoral system be removed? Not hardly. Constitutional change is, fortunately, not an easy undertaking.

Well, if not being banned yet qualifies me to form an opinion, then I'll weigh in. Yeah, don't mess with the electoral college. Forcing the election to popular vote will, I think, serve to negate the input of a large section of the country (e.g., where I live in flyover country). And, it will further aggravate election fraud, I think. Imagine the dead who will gain the vote!
    Every-time Mayor Daley II is up for reelection, and the race might be close, the dead climb from their graves, and walk to the polling places.

Mayor Daley I organized the Chicago vote for ever system.

In 1960, Daley guaranteed JFK Illinois.
    Daley's minions picked up all the residents of skid rows, and drove them in vans around to several polling places.
    All they had to do was vote 27 times in exchange for a meal or two, a ten dollar bill, pack of Lucky's and a bottle of muscatel.

What a great country we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I don't really think there would be a change in how many voted, just how they're tabulated. Those who vote now would continue to vote and those who fail their civic duty would continue to do so. The problem with the electoral college is that they don't actually have to vote for the candidate with the highest popular vote. They can basically vote for whichever candidate they desire. Yes they would probably be voted out in upcoming elections but the damage would already be done. Now for the real question. Will the electoral system be removed? Not hardly. Constitutional change is, fortunately, not an easy undertaking.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I was kinda daydreaming thinking how the word would go out how everyone's vote NOW counted, and the mechanism being changed to enable the popular vote, would result in larger numbers. A bit presumptious on my part, for sure.

OTOH, what about "flyover" country being ignored? Wouldn't politicians focus on the more populous states, cities, etc.? (as others have opined in this thread?)
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Exclamation that means that Chicacago LA and NYC...

that means that Chicacago LA and NYC...Control the country. Sorry not today! I'd like to see one electoral vote per county. It would give the farmers a voice.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Yeah, you're probably right. I was kinda daydreaming thinking how the word would go out how everyone's vote NOW counted, and the mechanism being changed to enable the popular vote, would result in larger numbers. A bit presumptious on my part, for sure.

OTOH, what about "flyover" country being ignored? Wouldn't politicians focus on the more populous states, cities, etc.? (as others have opined in this thread?)
    Good question. Depending on the popular vote could mean that every vote would count in a close race. Does this mean that campaigns would happen everywhere? I don't know. Do they take place everywhere now? There are small communities that get overlooked in current campaigns and the most money is spent in the states with the biggest electoral votes. Would anything really change? Your guess is as good as mine.

Bohemian I agree that the Constitution is a timeless document that deserves our full protection. Changes, if any, should be done with great care and fully examined. Amendments have been added in fairly modern times thus making changes, they just have to be considered with great thought.

Of course the current administration...saturated as it is with Liberal Democrats with pretty much a bullet-proof majority...wants to institute this change at this time. Same as they want to institute the Line Item Veto at this time...because it benefits them. Where were they years ago when President Reagan wanted the Line Item Veto? If it's a good idea now, why wasn't it a good idea then? Because it didn't benefit them then!

The fact is that if we abandon the Electoral College, then Boston, New York, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, maybe Seattle and a handful of other large cities - mostly Liberal - will decide the election. Iowa, North and South Dakota, Kansas and the like will never see another National candidate. Why should they? Their votes won't count enough to carry the day.

The Electoral College is fine...it's the way it's been (and is being) manipulated that's screwing things up! Don't you remember the rumblings about "trading" electoral college votes from region to region to ensure the "desired result" during the last Presidential election? Why weren't those people thrown in jail and had their Elector status stripped from them immediately??

The framers of our Constitution were interesting men...Giants!...the intellectual Michaelangelo's and DaVinci's of their time during an intellectual renaissance. Judging from the crop we have available to us currently, they're hard pressed to find. These twits who believe they know better and can second-guess the way the Constitution works should go back to school...maybe especially those who consider themselves "Constitutional Professors".

We should leave the Electoral College in place. Instead of bagging it, let's straighten it out so it works the way it's supposed to and get on with the business of running the country...not running it into the ground!

As an aside question, I would ask this: If I raised chickens for a living, why would I consult with a pack of foxes to determine how I would provide security for the henhouse? Why would I buy into that natural and obvious conflict of interest?

With that in mind...why do we have a pack of Lawyers deciding what our laws will be? Why do we have a bunch of bankers deciding what the economy will do? I know that they "know" the subject, but they also know how to manipulate the subject, mostly to their own advantage.

Just asking...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast