My two cents...an editorial - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My two cents...an editorial

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    When Jesus was confronted with corruption He acted swiftly. He over turned the tables and declared not in my Father's house!
    When He was confronted with the possibility of his disciples being in danger...He advised them to arm themselves.
    When He was confronted with temptation He told satan to get thee behind me (get bent, get lost etc.)
    When asked the really tough questions He always responded with wisdom and courage. He spoke directly to the situations and really did not give two hoots what the powers that be had to say about it.
    Jesus expressed his thoughts and view points without sinning.
    I wish I was that cool under pressure but I am not.
    What would Jesus do?
    He would tell us straight up what we are doing wrong. What we need to do to fix ourselves and then let us choose our own path.

I like that Jewish carpenter! He is a man's man!
    To illustrate with the saying about turning the other cheek: it specifies that the person has been struck on the right cheek. How can you be struck on the right cheek? As Wink emphasizes, you have to act this out in order to get the point: you can be struck on the right cheek only by an overhand blow with the left hand, or with a backhand blow from the right hand. (Try it).

But in that world, people did not use the left hand to strike people. It was reserved for "unseemly" uses. Thus, being struck on the right cheek meant that one had been backhanded with the right hand. Given the social customs of the day, a backhand blow was the way a superior hit an inferior, whereas one fought social equals with fists.

This means the saying presupposes a setting in which a superior is beating a peasant. What should the peasant do? "Turn the other cheek." What would be the effect? The only way the superior could continue the beating would be with an overhand blow with the fist--which would have meant treating the peasant as an equal.

Perhaps the beating would not have been stopped by this. But for the superior, it would at the very least have been disconcerting: he could continue the beating only by treating the peasant as a social peer. As Wink puts it, the peasant was in effect saying, "I am your equal. I refuse to be humiliated anymore." That is not all. The sayings about "going the second mile" and "giving your cloak to one who sues you for your coat" make a similar point: they suggest creative non-violent ways of protesting oppression.

Roman law permitted soldiers to force civilians to carry their gear for one mile, but because of abuses stringently prohibited more than one mile.

If they ask you to do that, Jesus says, go ahead; but then carry their gear a second mile. Put them in a disconcerting situation: either they risk getting in trouble, or they will have to wrestle their gear back from you.

Under civil law, a coat could be confiscated for non-payment of debt. For the poor, the coat often also served as a blanket at night. In that world, the only other garment typically worn by a peasant was an inner garment, a cloak. So if they take your coat, Jesus says, give them your cloak as well. "Strip naked," as Wink puts it. Show them what the system is doing to you. Moreover, in that world, nakedness shamed the person who observed it.

Thus, these sayings from the Sermon on the Mount, these seemingly mild sayings, are actually potent ways of confounding and exposing injustice. King and Gandhi may not have been aware of the finer points of modern Biblical scholarship, but they were no doubt clear that Jesus was counseling a radical new way of empowering the underclass.

And so, those little verses from the Gospel of Matthew are the foundation upon which King and Gandhi built their world-moving campaigns for social justice.Main NavigationHomeEmbracing AngerLong Live ImpermanenceNo Birth, No DeathTurning the Other Cheek
    Righteous personal conduct interpretation
    There is a third school of thought in regard to this passage. Jesus was not changing the meaning of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" but restoring it to the original context. Jesus starts his statement with "you have heard it said" which means that he was clarifying a misconception, as opposed to "it is written" which would be a reference to scripture. The common misconception seems to be that people were using Exodus 21:24-25 (the guidelines for a magistrate to punish convicted offenders) as a justification for personal vengeance. In this context, the command to "turn the other cheek" would not be a command to allow someone to beat or rob a person, but a command not to take vengeance.

Some point out that Jesus said "he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one" from Luke 22:36 and the Old Testament laws regarding killing in self-defense to support this view. However, even Luke 22:36 could have been figurative as in Luke 22:38 the disciples point out that they have two swords among the twelve of them, to which Jesus replies "That is enough." If Jesus meant his statement to be taken literally then twelve swords would have been required, not two.

PRO-LIFE FROM CONCEPTION TO NATURAL DEATH
    TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN. HOLY BIBLE]

3. The only thing I am optimistic about is that "the Government will rest on His Shoulders" one day, His being the Lord Jesus Christ. Just my opinion (belief), but the USA is under the Judgement of God and I agree with a previous post that is basically my opinion as well, "it's over"! That being said, I am committed to being the, with God's help, the best I can be for Him while I'm here.

Our Country for the most part is asleep to the fact: (the following is not mine but I agree):

"Obama has a ruthless quest for power. He did not come to Washington to make something out of himself, but rather to change everything, including dismantling capitalism. He can't be straightforward on his ambitions, as the public would not go along. He has a heavy hand, and wants to level the playing field with income redistribution and punishment to the achievers of society. He would like to model the USA to Great Britain or Canada."

Tyranny is his rule. Deception is his constant plan for he the masses by Washington and the puppet media who have no clue what freedom is and what they are losing and helping to take from us as they promote him and worship hims rather than report what he is doing to this country. Then there is the real possiblity the most of them have no idea what he is doing.

Really would be interesting to know how many Government trolls are on board USACarry and other like forums. Only God knows how much longer we have to type or speak freely and believe me they know who we are and where we are. That being said,

Matthew 10:28

Take Care Yall
    Stay Safe

Boze
    If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan, "The time for Choosing" October 1964

It sure is a great time to be alive! I feel so blessed to be living in these End Times. It's always exciting to wake up every morning, turn on the news and be a witness to God's Word being fulfilled in the current events of each day. Personally, I find whats happening in our country and the world today very comforting, because the Lord said that there would be great perplexity in these Last Days, and everything would wax worse and worse until He returned. Because God's Word and His promises are truth, I'd be greatly concerned if things started to get better. If you're a Christian, cheer up, look up, because we're going up!
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    There are days when I'm optimistic, but more often I'm pessimistic. Today is one of the latter. True patriotic statesmen are so rare and the majority of them don't have the financial wealth to run independently of special interest groups, and thus not be indebted to said groups. I am among those who believe that Puppetmasters (the global elite) are running world events and steering all nations toward the New World Order. IMO, no one will be "chosen", for either party, to run for President without their blessing. Will that keep me from voting? Obsolutely NOT! As long as I have any freedoms, I will exercise them until they are ripped out of my hands!

As to the question posed, WWJD? IMO, politically He would do nothing. The stage is set, the drama has begun...God's final plan is taking shape. Interpersonally, He will do everything to see that "none are lost"...and He looks to us Christians to be His ambassadors in this endeavor.

Prepare for the anti-Christian troll attack!
    agree with you totally. they've been working toward the NWO for a loooong time... and now they are so close. and I am so disgusted with each passing day hearing all the new garbage that this so called administration is trying to cram down our throats. puppet masters are crazy active!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    It sure is a great time to be alive! I feel so blessed to be living in these End Times. It's always exciting to wake up every morning, turn on the news and be a witness to God's Word being fulfilled in the current events of each day. Personally, I find whats happening in our country and the world today very comforting, because the Lord said that there would be great perplexity in these Last Days, and everything would wax worse and worse until He returned. Because God's Word and His promises are truth, I'd be greatly concerned if things started to get better. If you're a Christian, cheer up, look up, because we're going up!
    Interesting point of view. There's a lot to be said for being excited about this. I agree with you, but part of me is worried about some of the people who don't have the right direction. I guess that's what separates us, though.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    When Jesus was confronted with corruption He acted swiftly. He over turned the tables and declared not in my Father's house!
    When He was confronted with the possibility of his disciples being in danger...He advised them to arm themselves.
    When He was confronted with temptation He told satan to get thee behind me (get bent, get lost etc.)
    When asked the really tough questions He always responded with wisdom and courage. He spoke directly to the situations and really did not give two hoots what the powers that be had to say about it.
    Jesus expressed his thoughts and view points without sinning.
    I wish I was that cool under pressure but I am not.
    What would Jesus do?
    He would tell us straight up what we are doing wrong. What we need to do to fix ourselves and then let us choose our own path.

I like that Jewish carpenter! He is a man's man!
    That was the best post I have read in a very long time! Thank you festus, it was uplifting!
    Never argue with an idiot. First they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience!

As I have written before, I'm looking froward to the mansion in heaven. I will however, bring the tent along for camping trips.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

You're right, of course, and I've said so before. But, I will still go down fighting, if need be. I'll just have to work on doing so cheerfully! It's gonna take awhile to get there for me; I'm still fighting the urge to heave a brick thru the TV when our Muslim-in-Chief is on.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    You're right, of course, and I've said so before. But, I will still go down fighting, if need be. I'll just have to work on doing so cheerfully! It's gonna take awhile to get there for me; I'm still fighting the urge to heave a brick thru the TV when our Muslim-in-Chief is on.
    Just remember scripture tells us "in all things give thanks" but it does not say we have to be thankful "for all things". We can be thankful in the midst of all the trials and tribulation that is coming our way. Thankful in spite of the circumstances. We do not have to pretend that we are thankful that we are suffering because of them however.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Just remember scripture tells us "in all things give thanks" but it does not say we have to be thankful "for all things". We can be thankful in the midst of all the trials and tribulation that is coming our way. Thankful in spite of the circumstances. We do not have to pretend that we are thankful that we are suffering because of them however.
    Amen...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast