A Brief History of World Gun Control - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Brief History of World Gun Control

If we want to use logic to convince others our views are correct we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard and verify the information we read before using it or perpetuating it. Just because it's on the internet and we like what it has to say does not make it true. Trust but verify I believe is the saying.
    +10+ jclnuke. I have in the past looked up the supposed quote of Japanese officer that is credited with voicing that they should not invade the USA because Americans are well armed. The only thing I came up with was it was more myth than fact.
    Yes we must hold ourselves to higher standards or risk looking like idiots, which the gun grabbers already think we are, or just uneducated and dishonest about the need for the 2A.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Well, your right that the facts need to be correct, otherwise we gun owners will sound like idiots. I think we have to agree with the point that, usually, stronger gun control leads to higher crime rates.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    If we want to use logic to convince others our views are correct we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard and verify the information we read before using it or perpetuating it. Just because it's on the internet and we like what it has to say does not make it true. Trust but verify I believe is the saying.
    +10+ jclnuke. I have in the past looked up the supposed quote of Japanese officer that is credited with voicing that they should not invade the USA because Americans are well armed. The only thing I came up with was it was more myth than fact.
    Yes we must hold ourselves to higher standards or risk looking like idiots, which the gun grabbers already think we are, or just uneducated and dishonest about the need for the 2A.
    Shoulda looked a little harder, it took me about 30 seconds to find it.

WikiAnswers - Who said invasion would be foolish Gun behind every blade of grass

There's some irony for ya, LOL. People tell me look things up before I say they're true, then you look something up and find it's false when it's true.

One of my all time favorite quotes was said by Dresden James.

When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

So... were supposed to fact check every nuance of every statement for fear of saying something wrong, while the anti gun lobby just makes up bull every day and sells it hook line and sinker to the masses. Hanging ourselves with red tape isn't how to win a war.

I think it's OK to be a little wrong once in a while.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Browse > Home / The FactCheck Wire / Misquoting Yamamoto
    Misquoting Yamamoto

May 11, 2009

Advocates of gun rights often argue that in World War II Japan was deterred from invading the U.S. mainland by a fear of American citizens with guns in their closets. They frequently quote Japan’s Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto as saying: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    But this quote is unsubstantiated and almost certainly bogus, even though it has been repeated thousands of times in various Internet postings. There is no record of the commander in chief of Japan’s wartime fleet ever saying it.
    How do we know? We contacted Donald M. Goldstein, sometimes called "the dean of Pearl Harbor historians." Among his many books are "The Pearl Harbor Papers: Inside the Japanese Plans" (1993) and the best-selling "At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor" (1981). He is a professor at the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Pittsburgh. He told us the supposed Yamamoto quote is "bogus."
    In an exchange of e-mails he said:
    Prof. Goldstein: I have never seen it in writing. It has been attributed to the Prange files [the files of the late Gordon W. Prange, chief historian on the staff of Gen. Douglas MacArthur] but no one had ever seen it or cited it from where they got it. Some people say that it came from our work but I never said it. … As of today it is bogus until someone can cite when and where.

While I would agrue that fact check.org is a "liberal" organization I will go with Professor Goldstein's challenge. Oldowl >>> Take more then 30 seconds to produce that info. Take a whole minute. Hope this doesn't cause you to make another smug, smarmy comment. YES WE DO HAVE TO BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD! Otherwise we would be JUST LIKE THEM!
    BTW the Yamamoto quote about "awakening a sleeping giant" is pure "Hollywood"! Sorry if that bursts a bubble or two!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Browse > Home / The FactCheck Wire / Misquoting Yamamoto
    Misquoting Yamamoto

May 11, 2009

Advocates of gun rights often argue that in World War II Japan was deterred from invading the U.S. mainland by a fear of American citizens with guns in their closets. They frequently quote Japan’s Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto as saying: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    But this quote is unsubstantiated and almost certainly bogus, even though it has been repeated thousands of times in various Internet postings. There is no record of the commander in chief of Japan’s wartime fleet ever saying it.
    How do we know? We contacted Donald M. Goldstein, sometimes called "the dean of Pearl Harbor historians." Among his many books are "The Pearl Harbor Papers: Inside the Japanese Plans" (1993) and the best-selling "At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor" (1981). He is a professor at the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Pittsburgh. He told us the supposed Yamamoto quote is "bogus."
    In an exchange of e-mails he said:
    Prof. Goldstein: I have never seen it in writing. It has been attributed to the Prange files [the files of the late Gordon W. Prange, chief historian on the staff of Gen. Douglas MacArthur] but no one had ever seen it or cited it from where they got it. Some people say that it came from our work but I never said it. … As of today it is bogus until someone can cite when and where.

While I would agrue that fact check.org is a "liberal" organization I will go with Professor Goldstein's challenge. Oldowl >>> Take more then 30 seconds to produce that info. Take a whole minute. Hope this doesn't cause you to make another smug, smarmy comment. YES WE DO HAVE TO BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD! Otherwise we would be JUST LIKE THEM!
    BTW the Yamamoto quote about "awakening a sleeping giant" is pure "Hollywood"! Sorry if that bursts a bubble or two!
    How would it be "Substantiated"? Goldsein said he'd never seen it in writing. I've seen it in writing several times just in this thread. What the heck is he talking about? Who would have had to write it? Yamamoto? That would mean that JFK never said "Ask not what your country can do for you," because he didn't write it down? "One small step for man?" Who has to write that down? I don't get it.

So that leaves us pretty much with one person here saying the article was wrong because SNOPES said so, and another saying SNOPES had this Yamamoto thing wrong when I looked it up there?

Maybe we should have an Approved List of fact check sources.

If we have to PROVE every tidbit of information nobody will ever post anything.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the progressives and anti gun lobby are making stuff up by the truck load, not giving a hoot about any standards, and winning the war. They are going to hold US to a higher standard? Sounds like a double standard. I'm not sure I care to play that game.

Oldowl.. Yes they do make stuff up. Would you rather be part of an argument where there is no honestly or credibility? As for me I want to be as right (correct) as possible so that if an honest person that is not sure what he thinks of the 2A I don't want to lose him or his vote because of some false statement by people who support the 2A. The truth always wins out. Be patient or be less then honest and be wrong.
    As far as Kennedy.. I saw it on TV live when I was a kid.
    Don't get carried away with the literal "written down" he meant from credible verifiable source. Just because you see something quoted many times in many places on the internet doesn't make it true. Enough of that stuff.
    The important thing is that the truth or closest to it wins every time. That's how you change hearts and minds. Hope I changed yours about the importance of being truthful and as accurate about something as important as the 2A

I fully understand your point. But I respectfully submit that you are delusional if you really believe "Truth wins out every time." It does NOT. And I agree with you fully that we would both like it to be that way. The world is full of evil, and when I feel that I am on the side of righteousness, and somebody attacks me, my family, friends or country, I will pull out a stick. If they pull out a knife, I'll use a gun. I have studied more than a few martial arts, and the common denominator is, there's no such thing as a fair fight. You do whatever is necessary to win. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

When the progressive propaganda is hitting us from every direction, I'm not going to worry about having every little detail right as long as the message is essentially correct and makes the point.

Truly sorry if that disappoints you. You have the right to disagree with me. And I'll stand by YOU to the end to protect your right to disagree with me. When either of us loses that right we're no longer free, and I don't really care what I have to do to protect our freedom.

In the everyday rhetoric and writing I am correct. When things get physical I agree with you. When there is time be correct and as accurate as possible. If not just be on the right side of the issue. When things get physical there are no rules!

Works for me. But where do you draw the line? If I have to spend 8 hours a day at it, I want my own talk show.

11. Brilliant sir ; no other words need be said . God Bless !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12