Obama Bans 100,000 Guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama Bans 100,000 Guns

Flood the market! I need an inexpensive M1!
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Not exactly sure on the Import regulations seeing that this would be US Goods return. Going to have to look into it. If they were given to the ROK, they would have been under a DOD/State Dept License. Don't believe return goods would require such license although commodity class would dictate a unique Entry. Dam capitalist ideas swirling round my gray matter......... The rest of the story to come!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Flood the market! I need an inexpensive M1!
    I agree, I would love to have an M1, even in 60% condition!

Gun Ban Obama & Company's Latest Shenanigans ...

Interesting how Obama & Company can actually get away with classifying something that was 100% Designed & Manufactured in the United States AS a foreign IMPORT...

We are so long overdue for repealing the 1934 NFA, 1968 GCA, 1986 So-Called FOPA, Brady Bills ad nauseum, Gun Free School Zones Legislation, So-Called NICS Improvement & BATFE Reform legislation, Concealed Carry Legislation, etc...

We need to RE-BOOT THE CONSTITUTION...

Take us back to the Unabridged Second Amendment...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Update On Gun Ban Obama & Company's M1 Garand & M1 Carbine Ban

State Department Squirms On Garand And Carbine Imports

Friday, September 03, 2010

A lot of things have changed in the federal government since President Harry S. Truman put his famous "the buck stops here" sign on his desk. This week, Fox News reported that it couldn't get a straight answer from the State Department about its decision in March to disapprove the importation of more than 800,000 M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea.

According to Fox, the State Department claimed that the rifles might be used "for illicit purposes." But when asked to explain, State passed the buck to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which passed it to the Department of Justice, which passed it back to the State Department.

The anti-gun Brady Campaign didn't hesitate to give Fox an answer, however. "Guns that can take high-capacity magazines are a threat to public safety," the group's Dennis Henigan told reporter Maxim Lott.

Of course, Henigan's response was factually flawed. The M1 Garand does not "take" a "high-capacity" magazine; its magazine is built in, and holds only eight rounds. That's three fewer than the 11 rounds necessary for a magazine to be restricted as a "large capacity" magazine under California's law, which the Brady Campaign calls a "model for the nation," or the federal ban of 1994-2004 (which the group still advocates as a fall-back position in the event that Congress doesn't impose something more severe).

Since sales of imported firearms are subject to the national instant background check, Henigan's position was also hypocritical. To justify not letting the M1s and carbines into the U.S., Henigan essentially took the position that the instant check is not enough to protect public safety. But at other times, Brady takes the position that public safety requires us to impose the same instant checks on sales of firearms by people who are not dealers.

Finally, the "public safety" fear of these guns is irrational. Today, Americans own more Garands and carbines than ever before. We also own more semi-automatic rifles in general than ever before, and more self-defense handguns with standard magazines that hold more than 10 rounds than ever before. Yet despite gun ban groups' predictions, the nation's violent crime rate is at a 35-year low.

NRA-ILA :: State Department Squirms On Garand And Carbine Imports

Is Harry Reid pro-gun or anti-gun?
    You Decide

Remember, Remember The Second Of November 2010 !
    Fire Congress - Take Back The Republic !

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

I'd like an M-1 Carbine myself. There is a gunsmith that can convert an M-1 Carbine to 50AE. That would be a seriously cool general use carbine.

Guys I'm not trying to stir S*** up but, I would trust anything that comes from a paper call The Korea Times. Thats like trusting something from The Iranian Gazette. Now that being said, last time I was at a Gun Show a couple of the venders were packed up to their a**es in M1's and they were going for $400. To me that's not that bad of a price.

Quote Originally Posted by dobleceroseite View Post
    Guys I'm not trying to stir S*** up but, I would trust anything that comes from a paper call The Korea Times. Thats like trusting something from The Iranian Gazette. Now that being said, last time I was at a Gun Show a couple of the venders were packed up to their a**es in M1's and they were going for $400. To me that's not that bad of a price.
    I can see your point, fact checking of any news media outlet is important, IMHO. And again, I would like to see the importation aproved. Help out an ally, get the opportunity to purchase some firearms that may be of historical interest, I call that win-win.

Gun Ban Obama & Companies backdoor gun ban

Gun Ban Obama & Companies backdoor gun ban

President Obama is afraid of the M1 Garand, the U.S. rifle that helped win World War II, defeating Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. Administration officials earlier this year moved to block the government of South Korea from selling vintage U.S. made M1 Garands and M1 carbines to eager stateside collectors.

Read About It: The Washington Times

Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

By Maxim Lott
    Published September 01, 2010
    | FoxNews.com

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.
    "The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."
    FOXNews.com - Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

Obama import ban on rifles confirmed...
    The Volokh Conspiracy » Obama import ban on rifles confirmed

Blog Entries

Pray for Obama

"Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8".

"Let his days be few; and let another take his office"
    Last edited by Debray; 09-11-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Quote:
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast