SC Gun Law and Lack of Gun Ownership Transfer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SC Gun Law and Lack of Gun Ownership Transfer

Hey Islander: Your reply is the most obvious "iron clad" method for protection but since it is not required by law I think the use of a personal picture ID (drivers license) is solid and does save you the charges from an FFL. By the way, since you live nearby, who do you use as an FFL?--name, phone, address would be helpful.
    Wow--finally got on a thread where everyone was helpful and polite without the animosity and personal attacks that seem to follow so many threads. I guess it really is only a few members but it seems like everyone is mad at something and it takes away from the real purpose of this forum. At least they put politics and religion into their own sweet corner of the forum so they can all fight with each other and leave the rest of us alone with their seemingly endless personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Islander: Your reply is the most obvious "iron clad" method for protection but since it is not required by law I think the use of a personal picture ID (drivers license) is solid and does save you the charges from an FFL. By the way, since you live nearby, who do you use as an FFL?--name, phone, address would be helpful.
    Wow--finally got on a thread where everyone was helpful and polite without the animosity and personal attacks that seem to follow so many threads. I guess it really is only a few members but it seems like everyone is mad at something and it takes away from the real purpose of this forum. At least they put politics and religion into their own sweet corner of the forum so they can all fight with each other and leave the rest of us alone with their seemingly endless personal attacks.
    KC,

This was an interesting thread. I have to admit that when I first read it, I thought that it might be a bit of a hot button topic. But once I started thinking about my own thoughts on this (hadn't really thought about it before), I realized how good a question this was.

For my FFL, I use Henry Bryant of HHB Guns. He is EXCELLENT. Very professional, with a CQB training background. He was a Coast Gaurd man, boarding and inspecting ships on the high seas. He also was a CQB instructor. He now has his own excellent gun and FFL business. Henry is a good, honest man. $15 per FFL transfer.

Henry Bryant
    [email protected]
    Home

He does business out of his home on Wilson Steet, right down the road from Oscar's restaurant.

I have seen this question posted before on other boards and the responses run the gamut from good idea to use a FFL to don't sak don't tell and anyone than does is unAmerican and is anti-gun. I recently bought a gun from a FFL at a gun show, went through all the forms (no NICS with a CWP), got home and realized I didn't get any kind of receipt. The name of the dealer is on the box but that is it. I would never sell or buy a gun from an individual without some kind of verifiable record or at least know the person well. It is too easy for what seemed like a good deal to bite you in the butt in just a short while.

Hey Islander: I also have had Henry Bryant obtain firearms for me under his FFL and I agree, Henry is a nice guy and, if his bad back has not caused him to retire, serves with the Coast Guard. Anyone reading Islander's reply, you will not go wrong having Henry supply you with your firearm needs as a FFL dealer.

6. When an FFL takes in a gun, they are not required to obtain a copy of the ID of the person bringing in the gun. They are only required to record the name and address of the person transferring the gun to them. They are not required to even examine ID, let alone copy it or record the ID number. If the government does not require FFLs to take such actions, I don't see the need to take such actions in a private sale.

In a private sale I will not ask, nor will I provide or allow to be recorded a copy of my ID or my ID number. You can see it, to verify my age and state of residence and address if you so desire. But I will not provide to a private buyer information which I am not required to provide to an FFL, nor will allow a private party to record my ID number or obtain a copy of my ID if they are selling the gun. I won't give my ID information to Joe Schmoe off the street, regardless of if he is selling me a firearm or not.

The applicable regulation, BTW, is 27 CFR 478.125:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

(e) Firearms receipt and disposition by dealers. Except as provided in 478.124a with respect to alternate records for the receipt and disposition of firearms by dealers, each licensed dealer shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms. In addition, before commencing or continuing a firearms business, each licensed dealer shall inventory the firearms possessed for such business and shall record same in the record required by this paragraph. The record required by this paragraph shall be maintained in bound form under the format prescribed below. The purchase or other acquisition of a firearm shall, except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, be recorded not later than the close of the next business day following the date of such purchase or acquisition. The record shall show the date of receipt, the name and address or the name and license number of the person from whom received, the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model, serial number, type, and the caliber or gauge of the firearm.

I'm with mappow.
    I want a BoS of some type and the sellers ID.

I was reading a thread somewhere on another forum where a guy bought a handgun from a "little" known but trusted source. He did not get a BoS or seller ID and later found out the hard way it was stolen years earlier. (Hard lesson learned, lots of $$$ and PCW lost)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12