Should citizen militias secure our border? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Should citizen militias secure our border?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

42 72.41%
  • NO

12 20.69%
  • UNDECIDED

4 6.90%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should citizen militias secure our border?

Right there with ya, Bo. This bullsh#t has gotta CEASE, one way or the other.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

I would join you guys also but still feel there needs to be some sort of controls in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I would join you guys also but still feel there needs to be some sort of controls in place.
    That's why I believe the govs need to call up the guard. That way the guard can oversee the civilian militias.

Hey Bo- You and JJ don't forget us guys in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    That's why I believe the govs need to call up the guard. That way the guard can oversee the civilian militias.

Hey Bo- You and JJ don't forget us guys in SC.
    Here's the thing you might be overlooking...

The Fed traditionally and constitutionally never had authority over the National Guard...

The National Guard is/was supposed to be under the control of the state’s legislature/governor...

The Active Duty Military on the other hand is under the direction of the President (short-term) and Congress long-term...

Further...

The Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. ß 1385) passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction, with the intention (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) of substantially limiting the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (today the Army, Navy, Air Force, and State National Guard forces when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.
    The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act.
    Source:
    Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO...
    The Ideal Situation is that the Fed secures the border (build the damm fence that was already funded by congress years ago; yet somehow has failed to come to fruition...)
    Additionally, rotate active-duty U.S. military at the various border/near border bases in the southern border-states for the sole purpose of building/maintaining/securing the (Duncan Hunter Style) border/fence itself; we already know a multitude of well-known middle-eastern terrorists have crossed via our OPEN SOUTHERN BORDER UNMOLESTED WITH EASE...

IF the fed will not build the dam fence IT IS the applicable Governor(s) & State Legislatures DUTY & RESPONSIBILITY to SECURE the borders of their respective sovereign states as they see fit, in a manner to effectively secure the safety & property of its law-abiding citizens...
    FAILING THAT...
    It is the moral & civil duty of every able-bodied, law-abiding citizen of applicable state to form a citizen’s militia for the purposes of securing their safety and property...

We cannot... NO must not give police powers to the fed...

We are setting dangerous precedent by allowing the fed to send the "States" National Guard to the border...
    Thus violating the constitution & Posse Comitatus at minimum...

Duncan Hunter Style Fence That Has Eliminated Illegal Alien Crossings At What Was Once The Number One Illegal Alien Crossing Point In The Country...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Good post as usual Bo.

I was implying that the state governors call up their G troops (not on "active" duty) to help secure the border and train civilian militiamen.
    (I think they would be within their rights to do so wouldn't they?)

BTW; I agree 110% with you on limiting the feds involvement. Build the fence and untie the hands of the states on the border.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Good post as usual Bo.

I was implying that the state governors call up their G troops (not on "active" duty) to help secure the border and train civilian militiamen.
    (I think they would be within their rights to do so wouldn't they?)

BTW; I agree 110% with you on limiting the feds involvement. Build the fence and untie the hands of the states on the border.
    no problem... btw ... I feel for you S.C. folks...

RINO, Amnesty Loving Lindsey Graham (R-SC) as one of your two U.S. Senators... and you don't have the chance to dump em... until 2012...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Posse Comitus only limits the Feds and Active Duty military, NOT the National Guard under direction of the Governor (which the state would have to pay the bills).

Plus "Law Enforcement" duties has nothing to do with stopping foriegn invaders.

BOTH Sherrif Joe Arpaio and Sheriff Paul Babeu (maricopa and Pinal Counties in AZ ) Will take ALL of the volunteers that want to join their "Posse" to round up these illegals.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Governors lose in power struggle over National Guard

ALSO:

The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 forbids U.S. troops from being deployed on American soil for law enforcement. "The one exception is provided by the Insurrection Act of 1807, which lets the president use the military only for the purpose of putting down rebellions or enforcing constitutional rights if state authorities fail to do so. Under that law, the president can declare an insurrection and call in the armed forces. The act has been invoked only a handful of times in the past 50 years, including in 1957 to desegregate schools and in 1992 during riots in south central Los Angeles after the acquittal of police accused of beating Rodney King.

Friday, January 12, 2007
    Governors lose in power struggle over National Guard
    By Kavan Peterson, Staff Writer
    To the dismay of the nationís governors, the White House now will be empowered to go over a governorís head and call up National Guard troops to aid a state in time of natural disasters or other public emergencies. Up to now, governors were the sole commanders in chief of citizen soldiers in local Guard units during emergencies within the state.

A conflict over who should control Guard units arose in the days after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. President Bush sought to federalize control of Guardsmen in Louisiana in the chaos after the hurricane, but Gov. Kathleen Blanco (D) refused to relinquish command.

Over objections from all 50 governors, Congress in October tweaked the 200-year-old Insurrection Act to empower the hand of the president in future stateside emergencies. In a letter to Congress, the governors called the change "a dramatic expansion of federal authority during natural disasters that could cause confusion in the command-and-control of the National Guard and interfere with states' ability to respond to natural disasters within their borders."
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    no problem... btw ... I feel for you S.C. folks...

RINO, Amnesty Loving Lindsey Graham (R-SC) as one of your two U.S. Senators... and you don't have the chance to dump em... until 2012...
    Don't forget BHO "left" hand man; Rep James Clyburn (D). He's up for re-election this year and I know they're a whole lot of us going to the polls to put him out to pasture.

@chroode-
    Thanks for the extra info. (I'm not a knowledgeble guy when it comes to these things. BUT, I'm learning; thanks to forums like this.)

BTW;
    I wish I could volunteer to help AZ or TX.

I am undecided but I can't think of a better way to start a war. Texas actually has a state militia that is totally separate from the National Guard or Army Reserve. Perhaps they could be called up but, as chroode posited it would very likely lead to armed conflict
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast