Don't Know If I Can Believe Him - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Know If I Can Believe Him

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    I don't understand why everyone thinks it's ok to vote a former mayor into presidential office. He was a MAYOR! What qualifies him to lead this country?

I am however for shooting him out of a cannon.
    As a leader, I think Rudy has proven himself quite admirably. I really don't see how anyone could fault him for his performance in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

However, I also don't see how anyone could view him as a constitutional "originalist." His record, especially on 2nd Amendment issues, doesn't support that notion at all, and his current attempts to assert his status as such makes it clear to me that he can be just as phony and dishonest as any other run-of-the-mill politician.

He loses my support based on his record on issues that are important to me, not on his performance as mayor or D.A. or business owner, all three of which I think should work in his favor towards his qualifications to be President. I don't particularly want career politicians as my only choices for national office. Mayors or City Council members, business owners or even street-sweepers, anyone who can think and articulate a clear vision for America's future is fine with me, as long as that vision adheres strictly to an originalist view of what role government should have in our lives.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I don't particularly want career politicians as my only choices for national office. Mayors or City Council members, business owners or even street-sweepers, anyone who can think and articulate a clear vision for America's future is fine with me, as long as that vision adheres strictly to an originalist view of what role government should have in our lives.

Blues
    Well there is Obama which is a Jr. Senator (not much political experiance at all) that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and hasn't really done anything at all. I am still waiting for a nobody to come into the race and state here is what i stand for, if I don't accomplish it in 4 years or go against anything I am elected on then don't vote for me again!!!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

True 'nuff about Obama being inexperienced. However, I do think he articulates his positions pretty clearly, which is exactly why he could never earn my vote. I don't perceive his platform as having any basis whatsoever in originalist constitutional theory. That's what disqualifies him, not his inexperience.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

+1

That's a pretty sober analysis. Hardly any politicians in this election cycle are interested in preserving the constitution. Candidates on all sides are ready to gut the bill of rights, they just can't agree on which ones to destroy first.

True 'nuff about Obama being inexperienced. However, I do think he articulates his positions pretty clearly, which is exactly why he could never earn my vote. I don't perceive his platform as having any basis whatsoever in originalist constitutional theory. That's what disqualifies him, not his inexperience.

Blues

6. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    As a leader, I think Rudy has proven himself quite admirably. I really don't see how anyone could fault him for his performance in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

I hear this all the time from him. What exactly did he do?

He did a competent job as mayor for the few months remaining in his tenure as mayor, following the 9/11 disaster. However, there are plenty of competent mayors in the United States, and I don't see why his city getting attacked should be a reason to elect him president.

He may have a little more experience than his opponents, in using Terrorism to further his political career. I'd prefer our candidate to win on good domestic policies and adherence to the constitution. I'm not hearing any of that from Rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bado View Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn View Post
    I have yet to see evidence of any reason for an "R" next to his name.
    Totally Agree...
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Bado View Post
    Well, first of all, my statement has nothing whatsoever to do with what he says about himself. I've actually never heard him say this "all the time" or otherwise anyway. Regardless, the statement is based solely on my own perceptions and observations.

Secondly, this challenge sounds like it's coming from the perspective that I'm supporting Giuliani for President, which, clearly, I am not. This thread is about his qualifications for President, isn't it?

That said, to answer the question directly, he led. He was a calming influence, he delegated well, he was involved and he has faced every criticism that has been leveled at him in the intervening years. I am not a supporter of him for President, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. I don't cite his record on reducing crime in a credit-giving way, because one of the biggest reasons he was even marginally successful at it was his use of unconstitutional laws concerning gun ownership and gun uses. Even on that score though, he faces his criticisms and challenges head on. All in all, I find that quite admirable, even though I find the laws that he inherited and utilized unconstitutional and, frankly, reprehensible.

I guess my question would be, if one finds my statement that I think he handled himself quite admirably in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 invalid or inaccurate analysis, what didn't he do that you think he should've?

Blues
    Last edited by BluesStringer; 09-30-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Thumbs up Rudy Giuliani for President in 2008?

IF...

He wins the nomination...

Something I pray to god does not happen ever...

Which if we do not want to happen we need to vote in the primaries and encourage our friends, neighbors and peers, etc., to do the same...

Primaries statistically have terrible voter turn outs from all parties...

This is obviously a huge problem...

I personally think it is going to be Hillary "Billary" Clinton against whomever wins the republican nomination...

The two canidates that I think are the best to support the 2nd Amendment are Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee, problem with these two is it appears they do not currently have a big enough following to win the nomination; Ron Paul has another thing against him in that he comes off like a left wing nut job when he says bring all our troops home from every where in the world, stop helping anybody in any country for any reason and only worry about things that happen on U.S. soil...

Don't get me wrong at face value this sounds good, but the facts are that we have to take a proactive approach on terrorism (George W. Bush 1st President in U.S. History to have the intestinal fortitude to take a proactive approach on terrorism) and when a defenseless country or region is being annihilated by terrorists or starvation; I think we need to step up to the plate... Just like if you saw some woman being attacked, you would come to her aid armed or not... (preferably armed)

So with that said in my opinion Mike Huckabee would be the single best candidate; and in the debates thus far he comes off quite well and he has a proven track record when it comes to opposing gun control in any form...
    But until now, Mike Huckabee was virtually unknown to much of the U.S. which is a problem for him; although if we can get the word around AND we vote in the primaries he could certainly do the job well.

Mike Huckabee's opposition if Newt Gingrich does not get into it would be Rudy as every body remembers how well Rudy handled things following 911 in NYC; and I commend him for that; when it comes to gun control he gets thumbs down based on his track record; unless it comes down to putting one of the democrats in the white house or Rudy...
    He is definitely the lesser of two evils...

Mike Huckabee's opposition might also be Fred Thompson; but read up on both Newt Gingrich and Fred Thompson and you will find that they both have let the 2nd Amendment and gun owners down and have the record to prove it... Despite their obvious media support for the NRA and campaigning at local gun shows around the country...

To re-iterate only Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul have a 100% pro-gun record and Mike Huckabee will get my vote in the primary on January 19th, 2008 here in Nevada because of his other positions in addition to having a zero tolerance policy for 2nd amendment infringement of any kind; that I have been able to find thus far...

Semper Fidelis

Support the Amendment/Repeal of the Class III Weapons ban of civilian manufacture and ownership (FOPA/NFA 1986) (This is a great ongoing thread from 2004-2007)
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=117748&page=2

Mike Huckabee:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/

Ron Paul:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Newt Gingrich
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Newt_Gingrich.htm

http://thinknewt.blogspot.com/

Fred Thompson:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Fred_Thompson.htm

http://fred08.com/
    Last edited by Bohemian; 09-30-2007 at 11:57 AM.

I'm also a huge supporter of Huckabee's. Not only is he great on 2nd Amendment issues, but he's really the only candidate who, every time I've ever seen him interviewed, gives The FairTax some exposure. I'm a volunteer for FairTax.org and went to both the Columbia, SC and Ames, IA rallies, both of which Mike Hucakbee spoke eloquently in favor of the plan. Rudy, on the other hand, not only opposes The FairTax, but when questioned on it, invariably spews either ignorant mistaken analysis or intentional misinformation about it. One is just about as bad as the other for a presidential candidate in my book.

I'll go no further off-topic, but I probably will start a FairTax thread here before long.

PS: Gingrich announced last night on Fox News that he's out of the race. Something about McCain/Feingold preventing him from legally working the campaign and American Solutions at the same time. I didn't catch the details.

Blues
    Last edited by BluesStringer; 09-30-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast