Don't Know If I Can Believe Him - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Don't Know If I Can Believe Him

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    When rumblings of Fred's imminent entry into the race first started, I was ecstatic. I donated to his non-campaign campaign, thinking he was the answer. I waited as patiently as I could for July 4th, the day that Hannity and others close to Fred predicted he would announce. It came and went, no announcement. Then another Republican debate came and went, still no announcement. That's when I started really getting bugged by his "wait-'em-out" game. I needed to hear from him, and I needed to hear him in relation to the other candidates I really liked, Huckabee, Hunter and Tancredo. As ape-s*it as many Republicans are for Rudy, I've been nervous about him from the beginning, and Mitt too, though with Mitt, it was more of my own bias against Mass and its uber-liberal citizenry that made me distrust him. I couldn't see how such a liberal electorate could elect a truly conservative governor, and I still feel that way.

Anyway, Fred has disappointed me at every turn since first starting the rumors of his run. Huckabee, Hunter and Tancredo have not only not disappointed me, but they've shown up to endorse The FairTax at both rallies I've attended. As well, they have all mentioned The FairTax as a viable solution to the idiotic and confused system we've allowed our politicians to impose on us. Huckabee, more than just mentioning it in the debates, is basing a large percentage of his campaign on supporting it. Fred vacillates and dodges when asked if he supports it, and will go no further than saying that, if passed by Congress, he would sign it into law. That's better than nothing, but way short of what I, as a 5-year+ activist for The FairTax, want or need from my pick for President.

That's where I was when I started reading this thread. I can't really explain why, but I failed to pay very close attention to Fred's 2A record when he was in the Senate. It surprised the heck out of me to see just how "general" his 2A support was when I went to one of Bohemian's links and saw a chart chronicling that record. Actually, the chart was linked from Bohemian's link, and went to GOA's site. Here's that link if anyone would care to take a look, but there are WAAAAAY too many "Anti-Gun" scores on that list.

In fairness, many of Fred's anti-gun votes came in the aftermath of Columbine, a time when I'm sure lots of deals were as much as forced on "generally" pro-2A politicians in order to get cooperation on other things.

That said however, Huckabee stood firm against the gun-grabbers in the face of Jonesboro and Columbine during his tenure as governor.

The three most important issues in this cycle to me are The FairTax, effectively prosecuting the War on Terror and 2nd Amendment issues. Huckabee wins after long, careful and thoughtful consideration, thanks in part to y'all's very informative and well-argued discussion in this thread. Soooo.....

I Like Mike!

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    The three most important issues in this cycle to me are The FairTax, effectively prosecuting the War on Terror and 2nd Amendment issues. Huckabee wins after long, careful and thoughtful consideration, thanks in part to y'all's very informative and well-argued discussion in this thread. Soooo.....

I Like Mike!

Blues
    Bro, I like Mike too, but he simply will not beat RINO Rudy and that is a much more dangerous option than Fred Thompson any day.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    Bro, I like Mike too, but he simply will not beat RINO Rudy and that is a much more dangerous option than Fred Thompson any day.
    I think it's much too early to come to that conclusion.

I can't recall right now if it was on this site or another one, but the subject of "the lesser of two evils" came up in a recent discussion I was involved in. The bottom line for me is that voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil. While I'm not saying Fred is truly evil, the plain fact is that he's only truly strong on one of my top three issues, and Huckabee aces them all. If a candidate going counter to one's core beliefs is what we're referring to as the "evil" in the lesser of two, then I can't in good conscience recognize that and still support that candidate. It isn't a popularity contest for me, it's an issues contest. No disrespect intended or implied, but, sorry, Huckabee's my guy.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    It isn't a popularity contest for me, it's an issues contest. No disrespect intended or implied, but, sorry, Huckabee's my guy.

Blues
    I fell ya there Bro and no disrespect felt.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thumbs up Republican 2008 sell-outs on the second amendment and the constitution...

Bohemian's Litmus Test:

You have to pass test number one to get to test number two...

Test number one...
    Does the candidate have a perfect pro-gun record?
    if no...blue... candidate fails...

Republican 2008 sell-outs on the second amendment and the constitution...

Rudy Giuliani - fail
    . Supported federal gun control laws as mayor, including a nationwide ban on assault weapons.
    . not enough space on the web to hold all of Rudy's anti-gun positions, votes, support etc...
    . Now he's a lifetime member of the NRA...

Mitt Romney - fail... on Gun Control - I support bringing back the assault weapons ban and support the Brady bans.
    . In 1994 Mitt campaigned on support of the Brady Bill and said it wouldn’t make him a friend of the NRA.
    . In 2004 Mitt as Governor signed a Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban...
    . And others...
    . Now he’s a lifetime member NRA...

Fred Thompson - fail
    And you can Drop Dead Fred Thompson voted for a supplement to the assault weapons ban...
    . http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00115
    . And others...
    . Now he's a lifetime member of the NRA...

100% Support record for the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment:
    Mike Huckabee - Pass and Ron Paul - Pass...
    Mike and Ron do not just talk the talk; they walk the walk...

Without the unyielding support for the constitution and the 2nd amendment all positions on other issues are meaningless...

Test Number Two...
    Does the candidate support the proactive approach to terrorism and homeland security?
    If no...blue...candidate fails...
    Ron Paul - Fail

We are left with the one true strong constrictive Mike Huckabee after just a two-part Litmus Test...

There are obviously other nearly as important issues, but the first two are deal breakers for me, obviously there is no perfect candidate, nor ever will be; but I will not comprise when it comes to the second amendment, the constitution and national security...

Here are a couple more tidbits for those whom misguidedly think Fred Thompson is to be trusted...
    When 91% of the republicans in the senate supported the conviction on perjury of former President Bill "Slick-Wille" Clinton during his impeachment
    Fred Thompson voted against it on both counts and with 100% of the democrats...

Fred Thompson voted for the gun free school zones and other purposes act of 1996 (AKA: The Kill free zone; leave our kids and their teachers defenseless and further 2nd amendment infringements act of 1996)

Please try to vote for candidates with more integrity and spine in the primary...

Electable -or- Not Electable

Ron Paul - Not Electable
    Mike Huckabee - Not Electable
    John McCain - Not Electable
    Duncan Hunter - Not Electable
    Fred Thompson - Electable
    RINO Rudy - Electable
    Osama Obama - Not Electable
    Billary Clinton - Electable

So these words will be some that we will look back upon:

Spliting the vote during the 2008 Presidential Primaries so that RINO Rudy becomes the GOP candidate... $0.000002cents in internet bandwidth on USACarry.Com

Having to swallow the nasty pill that the Liberal Dem really wanna see you swallow on Nov 7 2008... $3.00/gallon to drive to the polls

Watching Billary Clinton swear in as the 44th President of the US because you didn't get behind the most electable GOP candidate during the primaries... PRICELESS

The oldest Conservative Justice (Justice John Paul Stephens retires) February 2008, Hillary appoints a Liberal SCJ to the bench... Your coveted 2nd Amendment Rights!
    Last edited by doublenutz; 10-06-2007 at 01:39 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Hypocrisy of Fred Thompson on Gun Control...

After voting for the Gun-Free-Shool Zones Act in 1996...

Fred Thompson in 2007 said when speaking of the Virginia Tech massacre, he said: "Whenever I've seen one of those 'Gun-free Zone' signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I've always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at. Obviously, they don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered 32 people just a few days ago."

Exclamation As I if I have not been preaching this OVER and OVER.

Found this article in a Liberal Dem website "The Huffington Post" (keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin...b_b_65770.html

Martin Lewis| BIO |

Note to liberal Hillary-bashers: It's The SCOTUS, Stupid!

Posted September 25, 2007 | 10:25 AM (EST)

1) I don't know who the Democratic Presidential candidate next year is going to be.

2) I don't know yet who I personally want it to be. I'm still considering. But my view really doesn't matter for the purpose of this column.

3) I DO know that I will support whoever the Democratic candidate is. If it's Dennis Kucinich or Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama or John Edwards. Or any of the other contenders. Over a Republican? There is NO debate. Nor should there be.

4) I do know that practically the only thing that can defeat the Democrats next year will be the selfish, self-destructive attitude of idealists on the left who are threatening sabotage if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic candidate.

5) I have heard all the arguments and self-righteous (self-lefteous?) diatribes against Hillary on any number of topics. Corporatist... DLC... Panderer... all of that. And people who have said that there would be "no difference" between Hillary and any Republican candidate.

6) Here's the thing. Even if all those accusations against Hillary ARE true (and this post is NOT the place to debate the merits of those arguments) - that would STILL not make a difference to my intent to support her if she is the candidate.

7) And it shouldn't make a difference to any other voters who are Democrats, left-leaning, liberal, progressive or independent. For one overwhelming reason. That trumps any disappointments about votes in 2002, health-care details, triangualation, corporate ties, Iraq policy, etc etc

8) IT'S THE SCOTUS, STUPID!
    The Supreme Court Of The United States.
    9) Starting January 2009 there will be a four-year period where SIX of the Supreme Court members will be in their 70s, 80s and 90s.
    10) FOUR of those six are dependable guardians of our rights. And the fifth is a swing voter.
    11) The two oldest Supreme Court Justices will be 92 and 79 respectively by the end of the next Presidential term. And those two are John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
    12) If you want to know why you MUST support WHOEVER the Democratic candidate is - then just study the actuarial tables on life expectancy.
    13) The simple fact is that there is a very high probability that the next president may appoint at least two new Supreme Court Justices. And probably more. And the laws of statistics say that the first two justices to be replaced will be two of the most dependable votes for decency.
    14) If you seriously believe that it makes no difference in how this nation is governed over the next 30 years if those two justices are conservative or liberal - then there is no hope for your soul or sanity.
    15) If you seriously believe that in regard to the appointment of Supreme Court Justices - that it makes no difference between Hillary Clinton on the one hand - and Rudolph Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, John McCain or even Newt Gingrich on the other hand - then you are seriously beyond redemption.
    16) It doesn't matter WHAT you may dislike about Hillary Clinton - or whoever the Democratic candidate is. If you have any regard for the future of this nation - you will remember this.

It's the SCOTUS, stupid.
    'nuff said. Case over. Dismissed.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Huckabee ahead in polls, now tier one candidate...
    http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/0...g_with_gop.php

Huckabee Continues to Make Impressive Gains in Polls, Ahead of McCain, Level with Thompson in Iowa
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1907103/posts

Mike Huckabee is the Republican Iowans Have Been Waiting For
    http://www.election2008polls.com/art...g-in-iowa.html

Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul Were Clear Winners, Mitt Romney Was a Loser, Fred Thompson, even bigger loser...
    http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008...l-results.html

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    Found this article in a Liberal Dem website "The Huffington Post" (keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin...b_b_65770.html
    There is somebody to take stock in...Martin Lewis, ultra liberal, left wing nut job...

One of the biggest left-wing propaganda spewers on the planet...

Policy Positions, proven leadership ability and a proven track record on the issues (especially the constitution and the 2nd amendment) by the republican candidate winning the primary will send Billary Clinton home in a bigger defeat then Kerry-Edwards 2004...

People will be coming out of the woodwork just to vote against Billary...

She scares the crap out of people...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast