Firearms Lawsuit Preemption

Thread: Firearms Lawsuit Preemption

Firearms Lawsuit Preemption

Obama's anti-gun administration will try just about any tactic to advance their anti-gun agenda, IMHO. They tried to have the customs department change the definition of a switchblade, didn't work. They are trying to block importation of Korean collectors items, M1 Carbines and Garands. They have tried to get congress to repeal the Tiahurt amendment several times. It seems that they will try just about anything.

With that said above, I don't see it as out of the question that the Obama administration will use a Clinton tactic of randomly suing the firearms industry. On the federal level we have the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), which is a good thing. Also according to this map from NRA-ILA's website, 34 states have lawsuit preemption legislation enacted.

http://www.nraila.org/maps/lp.jpg

While the information on the map may be out of date, if it is, I apologize, I note that New Mexico, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, and Vermont do not have such a law on the books. These five states are all fairly pro-gun so it would seem that such a law would be an easy piece of legislation to pass. I feel that passing lawsuit preemption in these states would go a long way towards sending a message to the Obama administration that he should not dust off this old, tired play from the Clinton playbook of gun-hating.

While the information on the map may be out of date, if it is, I apologize, I note that New Mexico, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, and Vermont do not have such a law on the books. These five states are all fairly pro-gun so it would seem that such a law would be an easy piece of legislation to pass. I feel that passing lawsuit preemption in these states would go a long way towards sending a message to the Obama administration that he should not dust off this old, tired play from the Clinton playbook of gun-hating.
    Now the Republicans took the State House and Senate in MN, I think things may start to move along in that regard. Hopefully also there will be more work on reciprocity.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    Now the Republicans took the State House and Senate in MN, I think things may start to move along in that regard. Hopefully also there will be more work on reciprocity.
    OK, so we do have someone watching this at the state level at least in MN.