New Jersey Man Serving 7 Years for Guns He Owned Legally - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Man Serving 7 Years for Guns He Owned Legally

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I stand corrected, apparently the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at the NRA/NRANEWS/NRAILA...

Tuesday, November 16th, 2010
    NRA-ILA :: A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner

Friday, December 03, 2010
    NRA-ILA :: Convicted for Transporting Guns While Moving, N.J. Gun Owner Seeks Justice

Does not change my opinion about the NRA's long history of Second Amendment Sell-Outs, or the fact that their public visibility on THIS N.J. (Brian Aitken ) CASE has been very unremarkable...
    Notwithstanding Brian Aitken has had his constitutional rights violated by N.J. and the Feds herein...

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...amendment.html

nuff said

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

For starters the article itself is vague and ambiguous, like New Jersey gun laws. I only found out about the "high capacity" magazine thing by looking into this article! It sounds like the judge in this case wanted to hang this guy out to dry, good lawyer or not. New Jersey is probably the worst place to make vague statements interpreted as suicidal ideation, and be a gun owner at the same time. I know that system, it's my job.

I am baffled by the charges. He was convicted on 3 counts: having hollowpoint ammunition, having "large capacity magazines," and a very vague "unlawful handgun posession" charge. According to the New Jersey Department of corrections website, he was sentenced to 9 months each for the first two and 7 years for the "unlawful posession of handguns" twice, since he apparently had 2 of them.

It is my understanding that hollowpoint ammunintion is legal in New Jersey in one's own home, however, the legal language is so vague and ambiguous that I personally don't think it is possible to prove to law enforcement that you were not being "unlawful." I believe the New Jersey law says something like not being able to use hollowpoint amunition for "unlawful purposes." That's just way too vague to protect anyone's rights.

The high capacity magazines....well, New Jersey only allows for a 15 round limit. Some states and the People's republic of Chicago allow for less! So if he had 2 fully loaded glock 17 magazines, he's screwed. But alas, that would only be 9 months and probably not get him state time, which he got because...

I still have not figured out the "unlawful posession of handguns" thing. Even the New Jersey State Police website says that you can legally transport (unloaded/separate/locked) with the restrictions above (but they are not mentioned there!) across the state/in the state as long as the gun is legal at your starting point and ending point. It appears that he went to the website and did exactly what was stated, since the set-up website makes NO mention of hollowpoint ammunition, nor magazine capacity.
    Sounds like your legally safe, right ?
    Apparently if law enforcement deems that you were not heading directly to a shooting range for example, they can apparently charge you. How do you prove that you were going to the range, short of being pulled over in the range parking lot? Even than it may be your word against theirs. The laws in New Jersey regarding this stuff pretty much makes it up to the attitude of the arresting officer. If you know the police, you might get lucky. They pull me over for crazy bugus stuff, and then only let me go because I work for the local hospital, which infuriates me. The "Buddy System" in this state is so corrupt.

Yes, employment in New Jersey makes up about 70% of my family income, but New Jersey gun laws are vague, deceitful, and just plain suck. I rely on pepper spray, which by the way, is only legal in New Jersey up to 3/4 of an ounce.

I have not checked with the NRA. However, Bohemian is reputable and I always find him informative. It is hard not to raise concerns and suspicions given how Brian A. was so easily rairoaded by the New Jersey legal system.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    However, Bohemian is reputable and I always find him informative. It is hard not to raise concerns and suspicions given how Brian A. was so easily rairoaded by the New Jersey legal system.
    No he is not. He routinely posts blatent FUD. Larry Aitken, Brian's father, was interviewed, along with Evan Nappen by Ginny Simone. This interview was broadcasted on the NRANEWS show "The Daily News, with Ginny Simone", this interview was then rebroadcasted on the "Cam and Company" news show on their Friday night news show. Bohemian's blatent neglect in this matter called into serious question everything he has said to cut down the NRA.

Yes I think Brian was railroaded and the whole thing screwd up but there is some background on this that makes me wonder and adds to the deal. The original reason that the police became involved with Brian was his mother called the police about him being suicidal. That sets off a red flag to me and points to there being much more to the story than just a man legally owing two handguns. I don't know the whole story but that does raise a flag.

Second the reason that the defense that he was moving was not allowed is Brian had been living in NJ for several weeks as I understand and had a roommate. I don't know how long he had been in NJ or if this was his "permanent" address or what so this raises another flag.

Third is that it has been reported that the reason he had them in his trunk is that he had taken them out of the house to keep them away from his roommate. So he had already put them in his house which would have been legal and satisfied the law but them moved them back out to his car. This is another flag.

As I said I don't know the whole story but it does appear that he was not directly in the process of moving and that something was going on that wasn't kosher. But either way 7 years for having a gun is excessive but it does appear that he possibly wasn't an angle that some have tried to make him out to be. Just a bad situation and glad that the Governor commuted his sentence.

About time Gun-Ban Christie did something about this, hopefully he will take a axe to as many of New Jersey's Second Amendment Infringements as is within his power to do so...
    And stop telling guys like Sean Hannity that is just the way it is in New Jersey...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

brian aitken pardoned

if you were paying attention, you would have seen that mr. aitken was pardoned by gov. christie today. you serve no progress when you throw people under the bus, out of hand. (RINO Christie.......) just because the pardon did not happen in a time frame you might have liked, sometimes the process moves slowly, but it does move. K.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrmonger10 View Post
    if you were paying attention, you would have seen that mr. aitken was pardoned by gov. christie today. you serve no progress when you throw people under the bus, out of hand. (RINO Christie.......) just because the pardon did not happen in a time frame you might have liked, sometimes the process moves slowly, but it does move. K.
    IF you had actually read all the posts in this thread or any of my many well-sourced threads; or paid attention to what I was responding to; or posted more than a handful of your own, you would know I have been very well-versed on RINO Christie long before he was the governor of NJ...

Check the news Christy commuted sentance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Check the news Christy commuted sentance.
    Thank you Captain Obvious...

AND I have to repeat myself how many times today?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast