Law Enforcement Qualification - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement Qualification

Reading another post I ran across this sham of a video, and I thought it also related here. The officer says that it is a perrishable skill and you will start loosing it within a couple monthes, but the training for a majority of law enforcement agencies that I have dealt with qualify at most once ever 6 monthes. Notice that there is a big difference between training/practice and qualification.

I also think that it is really ironic that there is a police officer in this video that shoots himself from poor gun handling during a lecture on how he is the only one that should be carrying a gun, to a class of children. You really have to see it to understand.

'If I Only Had a Gun': Click Here for 20/20 Special - ABC News

More specifically the video of the officer shooting himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

JSDinTexas Guest
    I can't remember the citation for this statistic - sorry - but it stated nationwide only 18% of LEO qualify on their first attempt.

Yeah.....he sure looked and acted qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Reading another post I ran across this sham of a video, and I thought it also related here. The officer says that it is a perrishable skill and you will start loosing it within a couple monthes, but the training for a majority of law enforcement agencies that I have dealt with qualify at most once ever 6 monthes. Notice that there is a big difference between training/practice and qualification.

I also think that it is really ironic that there is a police officer in this video that shoots himself from poor gun handling during a lecture on how he is the only one that should be carrying a gun, to a class of children. You really have to see it to understand.

YouTube - DEA Agent
    Sounds like the police chief firearms instructor that shot himself in a CWP class he was teaching. This case happened in Utah. Things in common in both cases? Both were Glock 40s and both were leg shots.

I returned the next day to see how things turned out with this guy, and I realized that he was scared of his guns. I watched his eyes snap tightly closed with every round he fired (12 GA, .223, and .40). He jumped sharply and jerked the trigger, I was truly amazed that this guy hit the target at all, and after trying to qualify 3 more times for a grand total of 7 times, he finally passed.

This is frickin scary man...............

Just by chance was the officers name "Barney"???
    AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

no, but they did call him Little Buddy
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

YouTube - DEA Agent
    LOL, Oh sh1t " This is an unload gun" (00:14) he then walks off screen to unload the weapon when he comes back he says" this here is a Glock 40 I am the only one here that is professional enough to use a gun" He then hits the slide lock allowing the slide to chamber the round left in the magazine.(00:30) Now I have not had the police training he has had but the training I gave myself included removing a loaded magazine from the gun when clearing a round.
    Last edited by Kasper; 01-03-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: put in time stamps

no, but they did call him Little Buddy
    But they now call him gimpy. Oh well, it is true, the three stooges had children.

They only have to qualify at up to 25 yds with an AR-15? I know several sheepdogs that could qualify 70+% at 25 yds with a handgun in .40 or .45.

They need to require better training than that. 85% is much more along the lines of acceptable. After all, you have to get 80% to pass drivers ed.
    An armed society is a polite society.

After 20+ years in law enforcement, I am not even a little bit surprised.

Most of the officers I knew never fired their guns except when they had to requalify...and cleaned them even less frequently. Except for those with departments that required it, few carried off duty.

Approximately 1 in 10 (at most) could be considered, even marginally, "gun people", and the ones who shot competitively that I met could be counted on my fingers.

If my mechanic was as unfamiliar with his tools as many of the officers I knew, I wouldn't let him in the same room with my car...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast