The U.S. Constitution is Read on the Floor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The U.S. Constitution is Read on the Floor

The U.S. Constitution is Read on the Floor

It's never been done before. The U.S. Constitution has NEVER been read on the floor of the Congress.

And to no one's surprise, the voting records of most Congressmen demonstrate they've never read the document for themselves!

So as you know, GOA initiated a campaign early last month to require the incoming Congress to read the Constitution. And our effort paid off yesterday when the House of Representatives read the Constitution on the floor of that chamber. This was quite a historic event.

One would think that every legislator (each of whom takes an oath to uphold the Constitution) would celebrate the reading of the document, but that was not the case.

"They are reading it like a sacred text," complained anti-Second Amendment Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), who told The Washington Post that the "ritualistic reading" on the floor was "total nonsense" and "propaganda."

The Representative who spearheaded the effort in the House disagreed. "As the written expression of the consent the American people gave to their government -- a consent with restrictions and boundaries -- the public reading of the Constitution will set the tone for the 112th Congress," said Virginia Rep. Bob Goodlatte in a statement.

Republican and Democrat Representatives alike took turns reading the Constitution out loud on Thursday, but there was a definite difference in the interest level this event was generating on each side of the isle.

GOA's Director of Federal Affairs, John Velleco, observed the reading from the House gallery and noted that, "The Republican side was mostly full; the Democrat side was mostly empty.

"But while we celebrate the reading and thank the millions of Americans who supported this effort, we also realize that this is just one step. Now we must hold their feet to the fire and see to it that they actually abide by the document."

In a letter, GOA thanked House Speaker John Boehner -- who kicked off the reading with the Preamble -- for bringing the measure to the floor. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), however, has given no indication that the Senate would read the Constitution (which comes as no surprise, since they violate it on a daily basis).

To force the issue in the upper chamber, GOA is working with several offices on a Resolution that would require the reading of the Constitution when the Senate comes back later this month.
    So to help keep the pressure on and the issue alive on Capitol Hill, GOA is continuing to gather signatures at www.readtheusconstitution.org. If you have already signed the petition, please be sure to have family and friends get on board as well.

Action: Click here to sign the petition.

As the U.S. Constitution is Read on the Floor...
    -- GOA celebrates this historic event

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    Gun Owners of America - Gun Owners Of America

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Just signed it.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Well for the first time I am ready to admit that TEOTWAWKI is upon the United States!
    Someone set me straight. So many here thinks it is great that the Constitution was read in the House. I think I am sorry that it was. Again set me straight because this is the part that truly saddens me and it has signaled that it's over in the long run for The United States.
    My reason for feeling this way is that They censored The Constitution OF The United States OF America on the floor of The House Of Representatives!
    They left out Article 1 Section 2 paragraph 3 so that nobody would be "offended".
    That was taken care of by a disagreement in the 1860's and handled in the Constitution by the XIIIth amendment. Eliminating the reading of the 3/5 compromise clearly points out that those sworn to uphold the Constitution don't understand it. Certainly the 3/5 part. I'm not even going to go into the real meaning...look it up and decide for yourself. It doesn't mean slaves as people were only worth or only 3/5ths human.
    If the reading was Boehner's idea we need to write and call him and let him know that this sends a bad signal for our future and the long term continuation of the Constitution which makes this a country of laws. I think they also left out the 18th Amendment but did read the 21st. Still trying to figure this out. If I am wrong, sorry. If not I think we should start a groundswell of our disapproval based on the reading of the censored Constitution! Boehner needs to be held accountable!

I'll sign the petition after it is changed to say the ENTIRE Constitution is to be read!

Two members didn't get sworn in, it must not have been important to them.

7. Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    Two members didn't get sworn in, it must not have been important to them.
    Those SOB's Should be fired on the spot without pay and tared and feathered. I wounder what dem paid them off. Just goes to show you can't trust a poly tic blood sucker.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Nobody is interested that they "sanitized" the Constitution for the reading? Amazing!

Leno had a great line last night: "I wonder if any of the members reading it said to themselves - darn, I should have read this BEFORE I got elected." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Well for the first time I am ready to admit that TEOTWAWKI is upon the United States!
    Someone set me straight. So many here thinks it is great that the Constitution was read in the House. I think I am sorry that it was. Again set me straight because this is the part that truly saddens me and it has signaled that it's over in the long run for The United States.
    My reason for feeling this way is that They censored The Constitution OF The United States OF America on the floor of The House Of Representatives!
    They left out Article 1 Section 2 paragraph 3 so that nobody would be "offended".
    That was taken care of by a disagreement in the 1860's and handled in the Constitution by the XIIIth amendment. Eliminating the reading of the 3/5 compromise clearly points out that those sworn to uphold the Constitution don't understand it. Certainly the 3/5 part. I'm not even going to go into the real meaning...look it up and decide for yourself. It doesn't mean slaves as people were only worth or only 3/5ths human.
    If the reading was Boehner's idea we need to write and call him and let him know that this sends a bad signal for our future and the long term continuation of the Constitution which makes this a country of laws. I think they also left out the 18th Amendment but did read the 21st. Still trying to figure this out. If I am wrong, sorry. If not I think we should start a groundswell of our disapproval based on the reading of the censored Constitution! Boehner needs to be held accountable!
    What did you expect? They are taking the word ****** out of huckleberry finn. While I am a black American I see no reason to remove this word from the book. By removing it you are taking away all the signs of progress that has been made. The same goes with skipping over or censoring parts of the US constitution. Read it as it was written so that you can see that we have came a long way from how it was back then. If you are happy that a censored version of the US constitution was read on the house floor. You are not thinking ahead enough to realize that they can start censoring out parts ever year till there is nothing left. What has happened that we need to be so damn politically correct now?

Kasper, you are right especially when you say "that they can start censoring out parts ever year till there is nothing left. " I think that they have started doing this before the "censored" version was written the other day. It is being done by liberal "activist" Judges in SCOTUS.
    I am gald you recognize how far we as a country have come and how far Black Americans have come in truly such a short time. Of course for anyone who is suffering the time seems longer but an objective valuation of the time period would realize it is short considering the starting point!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast