Westboro Baptist Church protesting the funeral of the 9 year old girl killed in AZ!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church protesting the funeral of the 9 year old girl killed in AZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    A very long time ago the Supreme Court ruled that the items in the Bill of Rights, the 1st Amendment in particular, do not give people a blank check, so to speak. My right to free speech doesn't give me the right to slander or threaten somebody, to lie in a business deal, or to "disturb the peace", etc. I would consider the action of the Westboro Baptist Church to be of the latter but I'm not a judge. I believe the WBC must stay 300 ft away from the funeral.

I'd like to see a member of that little girl's family walk up to the protest leader and knock several of their teeth down their throat. There wouldn't be a jury in America that would convict them.
    The only problem is the whole family is a bunch of lawyers, so they would likely sue the attacker. Civil juries are even less predictable than criminal ones.

I wish I had more" slush funding" in my budget to allow me to travel when things like this happen and volunteer to block those a-holes when they try and turn a funeral into a side show... I pray that they never show up at any funeral I'm attending...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Unfortunatly in a free society this kind of thing is going to be taken advantage of. If the media would not put them on the front page they would most likely go away. After all groups like this are just try to get their message out and the media is helping them do it. This kind of activity is dispickable. Don't know how they can justify this as being the christian thing to do.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

in my own opinion these protesters are NOT christian or acting like it. people like these give ALL religons a bad name. jesus had many things to say about self-rightious people and NONE of them were good. excuse my language but what the hell does a 9 year old little girl have to to with the moral decline of america? i know what id like to do to those protesters but id be in jail. lets ignore the idiots and mabye without attention they will slither away. opps i insulted snakes and these protesters are lower than a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    in my own opinion these protesters are NOT christian or acting like it. people like these give ALL religons a bad name. jesus had many things to say about self-rightious people and NONE of them were good. excuse my language but what the hell does a 9 year old little girl have to to with the moral decline of america? i know what id like to do to those protesters but id be in jail. lets ignore the idiots and mabye without attention they will slither away. opps i insulted snakes and these protesters are lower than a snake.
    They are lower than the bacteria that grows on the snakes *****...

Whoops!! Now I've gone and insulted the bacteria...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I believe they are saying that God is allowing all of these deaths because of America's tolerance for homosexuality. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but come on, how about showing a little respect and compassion for people who have lost a loved one.

That's the big problem with radical groups. You had better be on board with their beliefs or they will make your life miserable. They insist that their opinions are more important than yours. I don't believe God intervenes in anything humans do or believe. Humans are the products of our decisions and the decisions of others. He gave all of us a free will. Some seem to strugle with that.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
    I believe they are saying that God is allowing all of these deaths because of America's tolerance for homosexuality. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but come on, how about showing a little respect and compassion for people who have lost a loved one.
    Rather than coming across as a Christian group, those people seem more like a brain-washed cult led by a fanatic akin to Jim Jones. I do not doubt that God has lost a lot of tolerance for this country but not only due to homosexuality. How about abortion, murder and all other kinds of unspeakable acts forbidden by the Bible? I think He is probably torqued off about quite a few things with us and we will reap what we have sown. That being said, a nine year old girl has done nothing in her short life to be excoriated for. Harassing the family at a funeral for this child and the others killed is not an exercise of free speech. It is the rantings and ravings of a bunch of lunatics who seem to be going astray from the precepts of the Bible. If keeping the lunatics away from the funerals is a denial of free speech, I'm all for it.

Kool-Aid, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed into Law 1/11/11 a bill banning Protestors at Funerals in her state. Now lets see what the Kansas "John Brown JayHawkers" do. I'll bet Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik doesn't intervene if they try to protest...
    They didn't or couldn't outlaw the protest. The new law states " with 300 Feet ". Wish they could outlaw them !

kendix

Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    Lawmakers to head off picketing at Tucson funerals | Richmond Times-Dispatch

PHOENIX Arizona legislators planned to consider emergency legislation Tuesday to head off picketing by a Topeka, Kan., church at the funeral service for a 9-year-old girl who was among six people killed during Saturday's shooting in Tucson.

The proposed law would prohibit protests at or near funeral sites.

It would take effect immediately if passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Jan Brewer.

Legislative aides said the bill appeared to be on track for quick passage, and Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman said the Republican governor would sign the legislation if it reaches her desk.

The Westboro Baptist Church said Monday it plans to picket Thursday's funeral for Christina Taylor Green because "God sent the shooter to deal with idolatrous America." The fundamentalist church has picketed many military funerals to draw attention to its view that the deaths are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Lawmakers denounced the church's plan to picket the funeral of a child.

"This is just horrific that ... people have to deal with this. We shouldn't have to do this in time of great pain for our state," said Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, a Phoenix Democrat.

The girl was the youngest of the six people killed during the shooting at an event held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was among 14 people injured. Giffords was shot in the head and critically wounded.

Numerous states have passed laws restricting protests at funerals after members of the Westboro church began protesting at the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sinema, who said she is the lead sponsor of the Senate's version of the bill, said the Arizona legislation is modeled on an Ohio law that was upheld by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The U.S. Supreme Court heard an appeal from the Westboro church in October and is expected to issue a decision by late spring.

The four-paragraph Arizona bill would make it a misdemeanor to picket or conduct other protest activities within 300 feet of a funeral or burial service from one hour before the event to one hour after.

Sinema said the prohibition would only apply to funeral and burial sites because courts have struck down picketing prohibitions for procession routes.

Spokesmen said House Speaker Kirk Adams and Senate President Russell Pearce both support the bill and that it enjoys strong bipartisan backing in the Republican-controlled Legislature.

Adams "feels its very important to pass this today because he feels that the Westboro Baptist Church is despicable for what they plan to do at the funeral of the 9-year-old," Adams spokesman Daniel Scarpinato said. "He used the word 'disgusting' too."
    Because of OUR protest ,they have canceled the girls funerl. They will protest the judges

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast