Opinions of The Sheriffs First Law
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of The Sheriffs First Law

Opinions of The Sheriffs First Law

Montana is holding hearings on the sheriffs first law. It basically makes the county sheriff the supreme LEO in his county and all other agents would need his approval to conduct operations in his county. I was wondering about members ideas on this law.

I don't know much about it but to me that seems like a good idea It lets the sheriff know all of the things his offers or other law enforcement officers are doing in the county. The only problem I can see with this is if the sheriff is doing illegal things and now that other law enforcements officers have to get his permission he could warn the people that they are coming for. Other than that it will let the sheriff know where he should be placing his officers to help control the problems that others are coming to him/her for permission to stop

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I don't know much about it but to me that seems like a good idea It lets the sheriff know all of the things his offers or other law enforcement officers are doing in the county. The only problem I can see with this is if the sheriff is doing illegal things and now that other law enforcements officers have to get his permission he could warn the people that they are coming for. Other than that it will let the sheriff know where he should be placing his officers to help control the problems that others are coming to him/her for permission to stop
    I think they would hard time getting control of state officers and those are who would be investigating the Sheriffs. In Florida the FDLE can investigate in any county. In GA it would be the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Other states have their gov't agents. Sheriffs have been known to be as corrupt as city cops in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I think they would hard time getting control of state officers and those are who would be investigating the Sheriffs. In Florida the FDLE can investigate in any county. In GA it would be the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Other states have their gov't agents. Sheriffs have been known to be as corrupt as city cops in the past.
    Well thats why I said it is a good idea unless the sheriff is doing illegal activities. I am hoping that they are still thinning the ranks of all the unfit people they have wearing a badge.

I think that was the way it was when I lived in Ohio. The Sheriff was the top dog with the first and last say, except for the feds. Seemed to be a good "chain of command". Here in Oklahoma, I think it's that way too. Not completely sure, tho.

One thing to think about: The sheriff is our "ELECTED" official ~ the one "we the people" WANT there. Therefore he should be the one that knows what WE want. Should be head honcho, right?

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Corby View Post
    Montana is holding hearings on the sheriffs first law. It basically makes the county sheriff the supreme LEO in his county and all other agents would need his approval to conduct operations in his county. I was wondering about members ideas on this law.
    In most states, the county sheriff is the highest ranking law enforcement agent in his respective county.

"In the United States, a sheriff is generally, but not always, the highest law enforcement officer of a county. A sheriff is in most cases elected by the population of the county. In some states the sheriff is officially titled "High Sheriff", although the title is very rarely actually used".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff

"The sheriff is an elected official by the people and is NOT a bureaucratic employee. He has authority over any and all city and county property, and itís residents. The ONLY authority over the sheriff is the Coroner, in most counties."

http://harmonyhealth.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/county-sheriffs-have-the-ultimate-authority/

what if a friend of the sheriff is being investigated. would the sheriff need to approve? i have mixed feelings about the idea. if the sheriff is honest ok. but as we all know there are good cops and bad cops. san joaquin county in california had a bad sheriff who got convicted and sent to prison after years of complaints. while there is a need for a chain of command there must be safeguards.. in another county i know of a prosecutor who told me to my face that he would not prosecute some people because they were friends of his. it is the same principal. good luck and realize that you are doing good by getting yourself informed.. wish everyone would do what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    In most states, the county sheriff is the highest ranking law enforcement agent in his respective county.

"In the United States, a sheriff is generally, but not always, the highest law enforcement officer of a county. A sheriff is in most cases elected by the population of the county. In some states the sheriff is officially titled "High Sheriff", although the title is very rarely actually used".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff

"The sheriff is an elected official by the people and is NOT a bureaucratic employee. He has authority over any and all city and county property, and it’s residents. The ONLY authority over the sheriff is the Coroner, in most counties."

http://harmonyhealth.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/county-sheriffs-have-the-ultimate-authority/
    Ours is appointed, so a pawn of the County Manager. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-D...ice_Department

Opinions on the Sheriffs first law

My understanding of the law is that everyone would have to go thru the Sheriff's office. A federal warrant would have to be signed by the county sheriff before it could be enforced. I see it as a good thing brings law enforcement under local control. I also see it as a problem because not all Sheriffs are 1- honest ( sorry but true), 2- qualified ( many are more jailers than police oriented) 3- a direct challenge to federal enforcement efforts.

I can see where the memory of Waco and Ruby Ridge inspired this legislation but I think there will be one heck of a court fight over it if it passes.

I think a better idea would be some type of citizen's review board. The citizen review board would need the authority to terminate any law enforcement officer for any reason in the jurisdiction in question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast