TX House Bill 356 invalidates nonresident permits

Thread: TX House Bill 356 invalidates nonresident permits

JSDinTexas Guest

Thumbs down TX House Bill 356 invalidates nonresident permits

The Texas legislature is in session and House Bill 356 was introduced - not discussed in committee or voted on yet.

Basically, HB 356 says that non-resident carry permits will not be recognized in Texas. Therefore, to carry a concealed weapon in Texas, if Texas is your principle residence, you MUST have a TX resident permit.

Some in Texas, and I suppose other states, purchase the Utah non-res permit and don't get a TX permit because the Utah issue and renew charge is cheaper and lasts longer than the TX permit.

So if the bill passes, those officially residing in Texas must have a TX resident permit and can't use a non-resident permit from any other state to carry.
    And to me, this smacks of states trying to stop other state's non-resident permits, thus another gun control ploy.

Here's the bill: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0

Reciprocity with other states

That means that if you have a resident permit for your state and has reciprocity with Texas you are still ok, correct? I am just checking, I have relatives in the "Lone Star State" and may visit the state some day. Now I have a non-resident permit for Fla that would constitute null and void for a primary carry in Texas, correct?
    Just wanted to comment on a post so you guys don't think I have left this world.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

JSDinTexas Guest
    The key here is this only affects people who DOMICILE in TX (a resident of this state); if this legislation passes, Texans must have a TX resident permit and can't use another state's non-resident permit here.
    Those living in other states with a permit from their state can come to Texas with their resident or non-resident permits that have reciprocity with Texas and be ok - so far.
    IMO What I see here is a move to invalidate all non-resident permits by any state that wants more gun control.

5. your title...NEWS TX House Bill 356 invalidates nonresident permits...
    IS true if you put the rest of in it...
    IF You Are A Resident Of Texas Without A Texas CHL... your non-resident permit for another state is not valid here.

This new law will say... if you live here and want to CCH, get our/your CHL.
    and then get all the other permits, (and see where they might be valid) with any other state you want to.

Bear

6. Calm down

This brings Texas on line with most other CC states. They still recognize carry permits from reciprocal states including non-resident permits. Al they require is that a carry permit for Texas residents must be from Texas.

The other solution is to not require any permit at all. Like Vermont. Personally I like that model.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Yeah Bear, sorry, I did not know quite how to word it - funny though, I did not put in "News" in the title since it is only introduced and not happened yet, I guess the program did that because of the link.

8. If Texas puts in their total gun control and not recognize and other states permits, then the other states should be fair and refuse to recognize texas ccp in their state.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    If Texas puts in their total gun control and not recognize and other states permits, then the other states should be fair and refuse to recognize texas ccp in their state.
    Florida accepts other state's permits only if you are not a resident. Want to vote here, work here ( except military ) or get homestead exemption and 90 days later your out of state permit is no longer valid in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Florida accepts other state's permits only if you are not a resident. Want to vote here, work here ( except military ) or get homestead exemption and 90 days later your out of state permit is no longer valid in Florida.
    I think that FL is one of those states the the only non-resident permit they will honor is FL's. For instance FL will not honor a Utah permit for a TX resident. If you are a resident of UT and have a UT permit but move to FL then you are no longer a resident of UT so they will no longer honor it. So if you are a TX resident with a UT permit and want to visit FL then you either have to get a FL permit or leave your gun at home.