Swiss Voters Reject Proposed Gun Ban

Thread: Swiss Voters Reject Proposed Gun Ban

Swiss Voters Reject Proposed Gun Ban

Here is a link to the story, which I only recently discovered because it didn't make the primary headlines. Liberal Media would have been all over this story if it had passed!

Switzerland: Gun-Control Proposal Rejected by Voters - Yahoo! News
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Good for Switzerland. They continue to be one of the best kept secrets when it comes to the media and anti-gun folks. It pays for them to try to hide the truth!

I was surprised to hear they even considered it. The background is apparently a relatively high suicide by gun rate of male Swiss, not shootouts over tree lims in the yard between neighbors. As such it made at least a little bit of sense but they voted against it and for having confidence in the good judgement of the majority of Swiss people. If only you could make people here understand that idea, you can't make laws affecting millions because of the action of a deranged few.

We have been catering to the minority in this country for years. It's time for the silent majority to come forward and be noticed. Congrats to my relatives in Switzerland for holding on to their freedom.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

handgonnetoter Guest
    Well, might have to consider Switzerland as a home away from home! Thats great news. Your right about the crap liberal media too. If it would have went the other way, those puds would have been all over it.

I went over to yahoo to irritate the libs but couldn't find any in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I was surprised to hear they even considered it. The background is apparently a relatively high suicide by gun rate of male Swiss, not shootouts over tree lims in the yard between neighbors. As such it made at least a little bit of sense but they voted against it and for having confidence in the good judgement of the majority of Swiss people. If only you could make people here understand that idea, you can't make laws affecting millions because of the action of a deranged few.
    A high suicide rate by guns? IF there are a high proportaion of guns in the hands of private citizens AND the citizen is determined to commit suicide, the gun seems to be the proper tool for the job. Where's the beef? Statistically logical progression.

All this "concern" over suicide..... Hate to be the hard headed weenie in the bunch but my life IS, definatively, MY LIFE. Under the guise of "freedom"... if I decide to end my life, that's the way it will be. I rather dislike the implication that I am crazy if I decide to opt out. (I might be, but that is my concern, not your's.) ..... and as long as I harm no one else..... where's the beef?

P.S. I'm also a proponent of legal euthanasia, nationwide. If I have something "terminal", I want the option to check out with dignity, on my terms.... not when the Docs finish trying everything available to keep my terminal agony prolonged.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    A high suicide rate by guns? IF there are a high proportaion of guns in the hands of private citizens AND the citizen is determined to commit suicide, the gun seems to be the proper tool for the job. Where's the beef? Statistically logical progression.

All this "concern" over suicide..... Hate to be the hard headed weenie in the bunch but my life IS, definatively, MY LIFE. Under the guise of "freedom"... if I decide to end my life, that's the way it will be. I rather dislike the implication that I am crazy if I decide to opt out. (I might be, but that is my concern, not your's.) ..... and as long as I harm no one else..... where's the beef?

P.S. I'm also a proponent of legal euthanasia, nationwide. If I have something "terminal", I want the option to check out with dignity, on my terms.... not when the Docs finish trying everything available to keep my terminal agony prolonged.

GG
    AMEN!!

Yet we have those here in the US who believe in the compromise of the right and the restrictions and regulations and all the rest of the freedom trampling intrusion... Those who believe they know better then you do, what you really need. Fools..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..