No - right to work
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No - right to work

No - right to work

I am a small business owner in Texas. A couple of days ago I walked through the break room in my company. The TV was on Fox News and I caught a brief glimpse of about 6 men in Indiana sitting on a concrete floor; each with a sign that read

NO - RIGHT TO WORK

I thought about that long and hard.

It is beyond me that, in America, there is any place where a person is forced to join and pay money to a private sector organization so that he/she can seek and gain employment, especially in the public sector.

It is beyond me that, in America, there is any place where a person can prosper and not produce.

It is beyond me that, in America, a State government can be shut down by its elected senators going on union-like strike because they don't like the way democracy works.

I admit that, following our successes in the 2010 elections, I have moved political activism down my priorities list for a while but that brief glimpse of those men with those signs was my wake up call.

There are places in America where "The Collective" may still out number me but, By God, they can not out work or out fight me.

Semper Fi,

DWC

I heard a rumor that Harley-Davidson, an American company that makes motorcycles, might be moving out of WI. York, PA sounds like a nice spot, they already have a manufacturing plant there.

I never liked the idea of people being required to join a union and pay dues, even if they don't want to. However, I also don't like the idea of unions being required to negotiate on behalf of non-members. Shouldn't unions be able to look out only for their members and shouldn't workers only join them and pay dues to them if they choose to? Problem solved.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

If workers were not required to join unions they would soon die off and democrats would loose a re-election cash cow. And don't forget all those union voters that vote democrat just because they have a D after their name. After all "only democrats" care about the workers.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I never liked the idea of people being required to join a union and pay dues, even if they don't want to. However, I also don't like the idea of unions being required to negotiate on behalf of non-members. Shouldn't unions be able to look out only for their members and shouldn't workers only join them and pay dues to them if they choose to? Problem solved.
    In Florida, you are not forced to join the union. In my case, that union was AFSCME. Yes they bargain for all. But only union members can use the union for grievances and be represented by the union. Florida is a Right To Work state and all state employees are forbidden to strike. Go out on strike and you'd risk your job.

I don't hear any one complain about the pay checks the union big wigs pull down. They have you out on strike and what do they care. They are still getting theirs, mean while the pay checks for the membership stops. By the way there are civil service laws that protect government workers so why throw money away to union fat cats. The gravy train at some point will not sustain itself.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    The gravy train at some point will not sustain itself.
    Maybe Ozzy Osbourne can write a new song, "Gravy Train".

Problem with the "individual decision" idea is that the Union Types then gripe that the Non-Union Workers (who work right along with them) are getting the "benefits" brought about by the Union on their behalf.

Kinda like a free ride without paying for the efforts the Unions expend in getting ALL the workers those free rides.

Bye the bye: I heard a spokesperson for The Heritage Foundation (I know, Right Wing "think tank"..... all you Libs/Dems/Progs better run for cover before you get anything thrown at you that goes counter to the "Party Line" of what constitutes "THE TRUTH"!) mention the other day that Government Unions contributed $400 Million to various Dem Candidates the last Presidential election.

If you think about it, since Government Employees are paid through taxpayer "donations" (Extortion?)...... EVERY cent donated to the Dem Party by Government Employee Unions is taxpayer money, through a number of hands. (To be "FAY-AIRE"*, the GOP got just around 90 Million through the same means. I guess the Unions wanted to cover all the bases, just not too carefully. It would be interesting to find out just WHO got the GOP money.... betcha fi' dollars it was a pack of RINOs!)

On the other hand, I guess it's too much to ask Government Employees from refraining from "bribing" the Dems through support. Still again, I get a bit ticked that my tax dollars pay these drones who turn right around and use some of it to support Dem Party Hacks.

Was it once said that liberty dies just as soon as the citizenry discover that their votes can be used to raid the public treasury? BROTHERS..... WE ARE HERE!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Cool

The unions had a place in our society at one time but that time has long passed. As time progressed, unions demanded more and more and then became political machines. Union demands have helped destroy businesses in this country and have caused companies to move offshore. Individual employees didn't care what was happening as long as they could make more money. Then, when jobs started being lost, they couldn't understand what happened. Greed by the unions, for the unions, not the people happened and now we are reaping what we have sown. What is going on now in WI and IN are nothing compared to what is just around the corner. When the Federal government has to cut back on give away programs and quit subsidizing illegal aliens and citizens who would rather be on the dole than work, then you will see the SHTF. To say the bubble has burst is an understatement. We are broke as a nation but the reality hasn't set in quite yet. People can yell and strike all they want, the fact remains that we have to all give up a lot of the nicities of yesterday in order to have necessities today. The U.S. needs a good enema to get rid of the crooked politicians and greedy unions and get back to living as self-sufficient people. I am old now and won't be here long at best but I remember how things were years ago when people had pride in our country and themselves and it was a hell of a lot better then. I hope God will forgive us all for what our nation has become!

Now the only ones making out big are the union big wigs and the democrat party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast