National Right To Carry

Thread: National Right To Carry

National Right To Carry

What do you think about the legislation that is being presented that honors the right of people who have a gun permit to carry in any state of the United States? Do you feel this will pass? I believe they tried this once before!

Unfortunately the language does not allow for ALL states...
    'The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms.'

And I have a feeling states like NY will do everything they can to not let this pass. :/
    But my fingers are still crossed!!!!

Until all of the States have the exact same requirement for CCW procurement, I don't think it will happen. Some states idea of 'qualification' is ridiculous. I got my original CCW in PA and had to go to the range an qualify 10 round on target with my carry piece. In Georgia it was 3 rounds and in Florida it was a single round through a revolver and it didn't have to be on target. As a matter of fact every one of the students used the same target. As long as the business end was pointed down range and you got the shot off, you qualified. (Instructor got pissed when I emptied the revolver).

I agree that there should be a nation wide permit, but I believe there needs to be a better and higher requirement for qualifications. I understand this is about the Constitutional Right of every Citizen, but wouldn't it be best if every Citizen is well qualified to carry?

Just my humble opinion.

In New York you only need to pass a written test after the 3-hour NRA course. in fact, you can't touch a handgun until after you have received your concealed carry permit.

Thank you for you responses to my statement.

Any national law MUST adress the school zone issue or it will still be illegal for a permit holder to carry in another state within 1000 feet of a school unless he(or she) has a permit issued by the state in which the school is located. I do support national reciprocity though.