Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏ - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Better to attach it to a long haul cross-country van.
    Or a railroad freight car.

hmmm how did they realize that the unit had been detached from the car.. unless he turned it off or something...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Hey, we are talking an US citizen here.

If profiling is OK, then GET A WARRANT to track a citizen.

If they are foreigners on Visas, do what you have to do.

This is about NO WARRANT. Not about his grandparents' home country.

Just think if YOU were profiled for being say, Irish,
    or even something you wrote on this forum.

Just think what they might have done IF the thingie disappeared, OR travelled on another vehicle, then they retaliated at him.

This IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Have you ever been followed by the feds?

How do you know?

A cross-country van is a good idea. Railroad car, not so much. It would be obvious to them that it has been swapped. An even better idea would be to find a good candidate in the neighborhood and swap it into the unsuspecting accomplice. Also, if it was attached with large enough, strong enough magnets, tape a piece of paper to the magnet such that it'll be protected between the magnet and the donor car. Write on it some rude message, akin to, "I now know you're following me. What I can't figure out is why, but then, I'm the sane one here." This way, the target car still returns to your neighborhood/block/parking structure on a regular schedule, making it appear that the device is as yet undiscovered and producing good data. This will cause their data for you to become tainted with data from a different individual's daily driving habits.

The idea of causing it to "discombobulate" while on a rocky back country road and then dissecting it later in a clean room has merit. My only question there would be does the faraday cage for cellular back-hauls have to copper, or does 14 ga. steel do the trick just as well?
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    The idea of causing it to "discombobulate" while on a rocky back country road and then dissecting it later in a clean room has merit. My only question there would be does the faraday cage for cellular back-hauls have to copper, or does 14 ga. steel do the trick just as well?
    i know off topic... but i thought brass mesh worked better then copper...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    Pretty sure I'm not next. So an Arab islamist American gets gps'd by the FBI and it upsets some people oh well-get over it. Atleast they're trying to protect Americans from Islamic extremist terrorism. Did they gps the wrong guy? Who knows I guess the ACLU and the lawyers will find out.
    Can you spell b-i-g-o-t? The student in the article is an American; not Arab American; not Islamic American; just American. Unless you're a full blooded American Indian, you too came here from somewhere else. We all did, and you should be ashamed for your statements. The Constitution is being trampled on here. That should outrage every American no matter what their lineage is!
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

8. Brabbit

Thanks for getting the joke OldGrunt! Sorry if I offended anyone, this is a serious matter and should be "looked into". The only problem that I might have is why did Big Brother deploy this device in the first place- what was their reasoning? I find it hard to believe that they did this simply because he may have been known to be a firearm owner.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Can you spell b-i-g-o-t? The student in the article is an American; not Arab American; not Islamic American; just American. Unless you're a full blooded American Indian, you too came here from somewhere else. We all did, and you should be ashamed for your statements. The Constitution is being trampled on here. That should outrage every American no matter what their lineage is!
    Might as well lump the "American Indians" in the "came from somewhere else" group too. Studies have shown near perfect DNA matches with Koreans and Siberians.

Rest I agree with you on. It makes no difference who you are, if a US citizen, you should not be spied upon unless there is a warrant. The bull about it being ok to sneak onto someones property to place the GPS unit if you don't have a fence is just that, B _ _ _ _ _ _ T. No matter what the courts have said.

Student files lawsuit over FBI's GPS tracking - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com
    Did you read the article ? No need to call names bud.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    A cross-country van is a good idea. Railroad car, not so much. It would be obvious to them that it has been swapped. An even better idea would be to find a good candidate in the neighborhood and swap it into the unsuspecting accomplice. Also, if it was attached with large enough, strong enough magnets, tape a piece of paper to the magnet such that it'll be protected between the magnet and the donor car. Write on it some rude message, akin to, "I now know you're following me. What I can't figure out is why, but then, I'm the sane one here." This way, the target car still returns to your neighborhood/block/parking structure on a regular schedule, making it appear that the device is as yet undiscovered and producing good data. This will cause their data for you to become tainted with data from a different individual's daily driving habits.

You'd want to put it on a police car wouldn't you?

As far as the cages go, there are plenty of ex-military sites that were built with them. AFAIK, all of them used copper for the sheilding as you want the best conductor for the price. Some even had it in the roof of covered walkways.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast