Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏ - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏

1. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Might as well lump the "American Indians" in the "came from somewhere else" group too. Studies have shown near perfect DNA matches with Koreans and Siberians.

Rest I agree with you on. It makes no difference who you are, if a US citizen, you should not be spied upon unless there is a warrant. The bull about it being ok to sneak onto someones property to place the GPS unit if you don't have a fence is just that, B _ _ _ _ _ _ T. No matter what the courts have said.
    To bad they didn't have that technology in Bill Ayres Days just think how many police officers would still be alive today. Can you say WeatherMan Undergraound??? I think they should have attached it to VAN Jones vehicle or maybe Jerimiha Wright or how about the community organizer? If you are not doing anything wrong why worry. All Muslins shown consider dangerous until proven not.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

I doubt the ACLU will get anywhere with the lawsuit. Thanks to the Patriot Act personal privacy is a thing of the past. Anyone who arouses the suspicion of Americas Home Land security is going to have their entire life scrutinized under a microscope. Without a Search Warrant!

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    Thanks to the Patriot Act personal privacy is a thing of the past.
    I have started to call it the Dell Wilkes Act. Dell Wilkes is a former USC Gamecock cocaine user and football player who became the profesional wrestler known as "The Patriot" and is now a used car salesman.

If there are no civil rights for US citizens
    then the LEOs can also plant/manufacture evidence to prove we are criminals.

I guess if this US citizen was proven a terrorist that we would all be applauding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    hmmm how did they realize that the unit had been detached from the car.. unless he turned it off or something...
    Popular Mechanics did a bit about this in a feature about how to avoid being spied on using your own digital gear (computer, phone, webcam, Facebook, etc). He found the device during an oil change and posted a picture of it on line to (I think) try to figure out what it was.

Honestly - how many of us would know what an FBI GPS tracker looks like without seeing one? I sure as he!! wouldn't.

Personally I'm all for fighting terrorism but this isn't right. American citizens should not be spied on by their own government without due process (ie a warrant). That's the kind of thing the Nazi's and the Soviet Union did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brabbit View Post
    Thanks for getting the joke OldGrunt! Sorry if I offended anyone, this is a serious matter and should be "looked into". The only problem that I might have is why did Big Brother deploy this device in the first place- what was their reasoning? I find it hard to believe that they did this simply because he may have been known to be a firearm owner.
    Not trying to sound offensive here:
    It is rather difficult to carry on an intelligent dialog if you don't have a clue what is going on.

The article stated quite clearly why he was being tracked.

"His lawyers say Afifi, who was born in the United States, was targeted because of his extensive ties to the Middle East — he travels there frequently, helps support two brothers who live in Egypt, and his father was a well-known Islamic-American community leader who died last year in Egypt."
    enquote

Problem: He is an US Citizen = FBI had NO WARRANT

Problem 2: The FBI claims NO warrant is needed.
    Probably going to claim "The Patriot Act", huh.

Leave it to the ChiComs to come up with a simple, cheap solution to American tyranny.

GPS chaos: How a $30 box can jam your life - tech - 06 March 2011 - New Scientist

An event last year at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey showed that it only takes one jammer to cause disruption. Airport controllers had installed a new GPS-based landing system, so that aircraft could approach in bad visibility. But it was shutting itself down once or twice a day. It took several months to find the culprit: a driver on the nearby New Jersey Turnpike using a portable GPS jammer to avoid paying the highway toll. This trucker was cruising past twice a day, crippling an airport as he went.

[...]

Given the potential for disruption, law-enforcers are trying to crack down on GPS jamming. In February, the US Federal Communications Commission announced a new effort to fine jammer sellers and owners. The problem for western authorities is that most sellers are in east Asia and laws tend only to cover the use of a jammer, not its ownership.
    That trucker was trying to affect a GPS system outside of his own vehicle. It would take much less power to send the signal only throughout one's own automobile body, being utterly undetectable from more than a few inches away, while still having the effect of zorching all GPS reception by devices on-board.

Want 3D navigation while GPS is down?

SPA 9 DoF - IMU - Gyro- Accelerometer - Compass - RobotShop

What an accurate time base while GPS is down?

Seeedstudio Electronic Brick Real Time Clock Module (DS1307) - RobotShop
    Digi-Key - 561-1014-ND (Manufacturer - CMMR-6P-60)

Just add Arduino.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Second thought anything attached to my truck is my property anyone attempting to remove my property with out my permission will be considered a theif and will at a minimum be visiting the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Second thought anything attached to my truck is my property anyone attempting to remove my property with out my permission will be considered a theif and will at a minimum be visiting the hospital.
    Now I understand why it took three cars and six heavily-armed agents wearing vests to make a stop on this kid...they had him confused with Nightmare45 and fully intended to clean 45's clock.

Moving on as Ed would say...

Festus posted a link some time back noting that the District 4 Court of Appeals had ruled "Wisconsin police can attach GPS to cars to secretly track anybody's movements without obtaining search warrants."

"We discern no privacy interest protected by the Fourth Amendment that is invaded when police attach a device to the outside of a vehicle, as long as the information obtained is the same as could be gained by the use of other techniques that do not require a warrant." <e.g., visual surveillance>

Since this ruling wasn't appealed, it apparently stands...at least in this court's area, and unappealed, serves as a guide for others.

So claiming this is a 4A violation might be on thin ice, legally. I have a feeling the SCOTUS, if a test case made it that far, might come to the same conclusion.

3X PM

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Now I understand why it took three cars and six heavily-armed agents wearing vests to make a stop on this kid...they had him confused with Nightmare45 and fully intended to clean 45's clock.

Moving on as Ed would say...

Festus posted a link some time back noting that the District 4 Court of Appeals had ruled "Wisconsin police can attach GPS to cars to secretly track anybody's movements without obtaining search warrants."

"We discern no privacy interest protected by the Fourth Amendment that is invaded when police attach a device to the outside of a vehicle, as long as the information obtained is the same as could be gained by the use of other techniques that do not require a warrant." <e.g., visual surveillance>

Since this ruling wasn't appealed, it apparently stands...at least in this court's area, and unappealed, serves as a guide for others.

So claiming this is a 4A violation might be on thin ice, legally. I have a feeling the SCOTUS, if a test case made it that far, might come to the same conclusion.
    OUCH

That is very good to know.
    Thanks for posting that link.

This is a Wisconsin STATE ruling by a Wisconsin STATE judge. NOT FEDERAL District Court.

It still needs to go to SCOTUS.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://www.wicourts.gov/about/judges/appeals/index.htm

I certainly hope that the kid's lawyers win this case.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast