Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Next? FBI uses covert GPS on car without warrant‏

Student files lawsuit over FBI's GPS tracking - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com

Student files lawsuit over FBI's GPS tracking

....a mechanic doing an oil change on his car in October discovered the device stuck with magnets

...Two days later, Afifi says, FBI agents wearing bullet-proof vests pulled him over as he drove away from his apartment in San Jose, California, and demanded their property back.

Judges have disagreed over whether search warrants should be required for GPS tracking. Afifi's lawyers say they are filing this lawsuit in hopes of a decision saying that any use of tracking devices without a warrant in the United States is unconstitutional.

The lawsuit says the agents who showed up to collect the device were "hostile," threatening to charge Afifi if he didn't immediately cooperate and refusing his request to have a lawyer present. The suit also says agents showed they knew private details about his life, such as which restaurants he dined at, the new job he had just obtained and his plans to travel abroad.

"At first I was really confused," Afifi said at the news conference, adding that he finally decided to turn over the GPS. "I did give it back to them after a lot of pressure."

Hard to say what I would have done in that situation but it may have been best to keep the damn thing.

This is insanity, another sterling example of what an overpowered branch of the federal gov't is doing. This is why the constitution calls for LIMITED federal government. The powers are enumerated and few.

I can't really understand how judges are undecided here. Just like my phone can't be tapped because there is no warrant, this guy shouldn't be tracked. Unless he isn't an American citizen.

I think that the ACLU should weigh in here but they seem to only protect nazis and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    I think that the ACLU should weigh in here but they seem to only protect nazis and stuff.
    There's where you're wrong. The ACLU has already started working this case.http://articles.cnn.com/2010-10-08/t...fbi?_s=PM:TECH
    Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after seeing pictures of the tracking device posted online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for a case like this to challenge the ruling.

"This is the kind of thing we like to throw lawyers at," Afifi said Alseth told him.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

I'm a law abiding citizen but I suspect had that been me, the transmitter would have fallen off on a rough road and the battery somehow detached with the parts mysteriously showing up in my company's screen room where the thing could have been reassembled without fear of any emissions escaping while further testing was accomplished.

3X PM

6. Brabbit

Being a "Newbie", I hope I get this right! First, Greetings to all. I like Felix's response, but would'nt it be even a tiny bit devious to reattach the device to the local church ladies vehicle, or any one else's? The possibilities are endless!

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I'm a law abiding citizen but I suspect had that been me, the transmitter would have fallen off on a rough road and the battery somehow detached with the parts mysteriously showing up in my company's screen room where the thing could have been reassembled without fear of any emissions escaping while further testing was accomplished.
    Copper sheilded walls and ceiling? Gov't even had an ugly carpet that had copper woven into it.

Pretty sure I'm not next. So an Arab islamist American gets gps'd by the FBI and it upsets some people oh well-get over it. Atleast they're trying to protect Americans from Islamic extremist terrorism. Did they gps the wrong guy? Who knows I guess the ACLU and the lawyers will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brabbit View Post
    Being a "Newbie", I hope I get this right! First, Greetings to all. I like Felix's response, but would'nt it be even a tiny bit devious to reattach the device to the local church ladies vehicle, or any one else's? The possibilities are endless!
    How about a police car? Or how about your mother-in-law if you dont get along? Mabye a local politition? This is funny if it wasnt so serious. While Im no fan of the ACLU they do have their place and if I was harassed in a similar fashion Id pay them a visit. Come to think of it............

Wonder if agents tresspassed to redeem their gear, like attaching to church lady or bus, or catch and release skunk.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brabbit View Post
    Better to attach it to a long haul cross-country van.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast