US Marshalls Service is cutting out a program

Thread: US Marshalls Service is cutting out a program

US Marshalls Service is cutting out a program

to allow fugitives to Safe Surrender at churches. They claim that it didn't fit their mission for catching violent fugitives. So here you have a program that worked for non-violent fugitives. Cost per year since 2006, $250,000/yr. Number of surrenders, 34,000. Cost per surrender, under $30 per fugitive. I wonder how much it costs for them to go out and hunt for a fugitive?

3. Of course they're cutting it as not in keeping with their mission.

If non-violent fugitives surrender peacefully in a church, nobody gets slammed to the ground, hit with sticks, shot or otherwise terrified and intimidated. Obviously this is NOT in keeping with the mission of FedGov 2011.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    to allow fugitives to Safe Surrender at churches. They claim that it didn't fit their mission for catching violent fugitives. So here you have a program that worked for non-violent fugitives. Cost per year since 2006, $250,000/yr. Number of surrenders, 34,000. Cost per surrender, under $30 per fugitive. I wonder how much it costs for them to go out and hunt for a fugitive?
    Why did it cost anything? Who got the $250,000?

If a fugitive wants to surrender just tell him to go to any federal courthouse and let the marshals at the check station know he wants to surrender. It'll be peaceful.

We can't have a program that is cost effective. The government mission is to take something that isn't broke, break it and then throw money at it to fix it. The more money wasted the better.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Somehow in the grand scheme of federal government programs this decision makes sense.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Why did it cost anything? Who got the $250,000?

If a fugitive wants to surrender just tell him to go to any federal courthouse and let the marshals at the check station know he wants to surrender. It'll be peaceful.
    My guess is that was the cost to go fetch the persons. Vehicle uses, gas, and such. Might even include the Deputy Marshall's pay. As it's Federal paperwork, they might even include the cost of the phonecall. Bean counters.

Being cuffed at a church and taken in where others see you are uninjured vs being cuffed in public at the courthouse. I'd pick the former.

Why would they want to give up?
    They are out there doing the same thing that got them arrested in the first place. Robbing, stealing, or selling drugs and making money at it.

I would think that surrendering in a Fed Courthouse would be much better publicity then handcuffing people and taking them out of a church. But thats just my humble opinion.

And lets refrain from the jack-booted-thugs comments please. That only makes us look bad as a group.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    We can't have a program that is cost effective. The government mission is to take something that isn't broke, break it and then throw money at it to fix it. The more money wasted the better.
    Unfortunatley I have to say +1 on that.