California Clears Microstamping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Clears Microstamping

Thumbs down California Clears Microstamping

A stunning (stunningly stupid) tragedy occurred in California as Governor Schwarzenegger signed the (at best) misguided Microstamping bill into law Saturday (13-Oct-07). In short, the bill requires all new semi-auto pistols sold in California starting in the year 2010 to be modified in order to 'stamp' a small serial number into the case of every cartridge fired; the idea being that the shell casings left behind at a crime scene can be matched up with the gun that fired them, thereby helping police solve crimes.

However, at the end of the day, the only thing it will really accomplish is to increase the cost of the modified pistols and perhaps make it cost-prohibitive to manufacture said guns for the state - what I feel is the real motivation behind it. The fact is that microstamping can be easily defeated; A few minutes with a Dremel and the microstamping is gone. Or, the thugs committing gun crimes just switch to revolvers which don't eject their shell casings thus leaving no evidence behind.

There is no empirical evidence that microstamping will help in any appreciable manner that justifies the cost of implementing it - but don't tell that to the Brady Campaign. They still believe that most criminals buy their guns from retail stores.
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

And just think that Congress wanted to change the Constitution so Schwarzenegger could run for President! :grr:
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Statistically, most crimes are committed with revolvers to begin with. It's only a matter of time before other gun manufactureres will follow the lead of Barrett and STI and give "Kommiefoniah" the finger.

It's ironic that their senseless laws end up shooting themselves in the foot. :icon_wink:
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

5. I read an article about this in Shooting Times. I think...

A ammo manufacturor has decided to stop selling in CA due to the completely stupid laws they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier View Post
    I read an article about this in Shooting Times. I think...

A ammo manufacturor has decided to stop selling in CA due to the completely stupid laws they have.

Which ammo company is this? I'll be picking up a few boxes of their product in support of them stepping up to the plate and supporting our 2A rights!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Which ammo company is this? I'll be picking up a few boxes of their product in support of them stepping up to the plate and supporting our 2A rights!

gf
    Actually it a firearms company, STI is the company. Here is my thread on it. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I ordered my STI last week. Should be here by the end of next month. Apparently they have a huge backlog due to them being a small company. :03:

gf

yes and this will help solve all the crimes with gang members using AK-47's too.. give me a break. criminals may be idiots, but they can figure this one out.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

I have a solution to your problem with criminals that use firearms to commit their crimes. First of all, you could issue a professional vocational license to the criminals. They will need to pay a fee for the initial license, get finger printed and registered and provide the appropriate contact information. If they want additional endorsements, you can charge a separate fee for each endorsement and add it to their initial license. License fees could be relative to the seriousness of the crime. For example, a license for a "professional auto thief" would be higher than a "professional pick pocket". At the time of registration, you could require the applicant to bring in any firearms they plan to use in commission of the crime. As part of the registration process, you could require the installation of a firing pin that micro stamps the cartridge casings.

This plan will cause a lot less public outrage and would be less of a burden due to the fact that there are much less criminals with firearms than there are legal law abiding citizens.

I hope you consider my recommendation. Saving money for the taxpayers of California should be a consideration in making a final decision.

gf

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

It's ironic that their senseless laws end up shooting themselves in the foot. :icon_wink:
    But starting in 2010, they'll at least be able to solve the foot-shooting crime because they'll just match the serial number on the casings with the gun database. THINK, Glock Fan...
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast