Dictators
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dictators

Dictators

What part of Democracy don't these Governors get? Here in Mi. our Gov. is taking over the state by taking away the rights of the people to collective bargaining. He has empowered himself to appointing Emergency Financial Managers who would have unlimited powers to manage local entities in whatever way they see fit. He and others around the country are trying to break the unions. They are only interested in helping big $$$ and making us pay the price. These are some of the **sholes that got us in the mess we're in now.
    Sorry about the rant, but we all need to tell our legislators we're done. NO MORE !

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    What part of Democracy don't these Governors get? Here in Mi. our Gov. is taking over the state by taking away the rights of the people to collective bargaining. He has empowered himself to appointing Emergency Financial Managers who would have unlimited powers to manage local entities in whatever way they see fit. He and others around the country are trying to break the unions. They are only interested in helping big $$$ and making us pay the price. These are some of the **sholes that got us in the mess we're in now.
    Sorry about the rant, but we all need to tell our legislators we're done. NO MORE !
    Allow me to sit on the fence and take a couple shots at this.

As someone who has never worked for a union shop, an outsider if you will, I have to say hooray!

In the US, in the past we needed unions, however now we have legislation that protects employees from most wrongs and a front door that protects them from abusive policies. Now from this outsiders perspective, they lend themselves to making it either impossible to fire a employee who deserves it, or makes us overpay for their services causing all of us to pay more. I see educators who couldn't teach a kid to pick their nose continue to work because the schools are afraid or unable to fire them because of the teachers union.

As for the Governors doing this, they have no power their constituents and elected legislators gave them. If there is a problem or you need additional checks and balances have them created. Be careful though, that the governors don't unionize.

I saw a very interesting analysis the other day to wit: The problem with public employee unions (PEUs) is that it isn't "Joe Fat Cat" in his private jet that PEUs are "bargaining against, its their fellow citizens, citizens whom they hold hostage.

"missoak" its YOUR DAMN MONEY that the unions are taking with their "collective bargaining. They are taking money out of YOUR pocket, money you could be spending on YOUR children and families, and using it to make THEIR lives better. In most states the public employees make more money and pay less for their benefits than do the people paying their salaries.

Public Employee Unions should be outlawed.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

The Emergency Financial Managers bill goes far beyond the need of the state to assist localities facing a financial crisis. For starters, it is a "friends of the governor" bill. There is no cap on the salary that can be paid to an Emergency Financial Manager. There is no requirement for open meetings, they can make all decisions in the "smoke-filled back rooms" without any public scrutiny.

I agree that the state should have the power to put in place a financial management team for the limited purpose of resolving a local government's financial crisis, and that may require breaking all sorts of contracts, both union and otherwise, to accomplish.

The discussions and acts of those managers should be open to the public. And until the line of qualified candidates has dwindled to nothing, they shouldn't be paid anymore than the local elected officials whose jobs they are taking over.

Id say a good govenor.

7. The only way this Rebublic will survive is with a good dictator who values Capitalism. Obvious the Dems and the Reps will not get it right. I just love the fact that this govenment takes our money at gun point to fund my neighbors retirement. Extreamist has satutuated the Democrate/Communist Party. Unions suck espec teachers unions.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Having been both a union member and the manager in a union shop, I say that unions are bad for businesses and good for the sick, lame and lazy.

I have seen union members who continually flout company rules and safety regulations, and they can't be terminated because of the union contract. The union leadership are blinded to everything else. They don't realize that what is bad for the company eventually trickles down to being bad for the workers. I have personally seen a union that was SO inflexible in its demands that they drove the company out of business. It got to be too expensive for them to do business. That translated to over 200 union members out of work.

Unions had their uses in the past. Today, they aren't needed and they hurt the ones they claim to help.

Also, most union leadership were Obama supporters. Why? Because it was a cash cow for them. They donated millions of dollars to Obama's election campaign because they knew he would support the union leaderships agenda. And ALL those union members who weren;t Obama supporters ended up paying to elect him whether they liked it or not.

I've had two major encounters with unions in my life that determined my life's opinion on unions. The first was in 1947 when I was 12 years old. My dad built houses. I worked on the job on weekends and during the summer for no pay. I was on one job, which was a large house being built for the manager of a national company. This was the first house that my dad had hired union carpenters. I carried nails and lumber to the carpenters. One day my dad asked me to get a hammer and take nails out of some boards so the carpenters could use the boards again.

As soon as I picked up the hammer, the union carpenters protested that I was not a union member and was carrying a hammer. My dad fired all of them and never hired another union carpenter in his life.

The second incident happened in the summer of 1954. It was right after my freshman year in college. I was working for an aircraft company in the Dallas, Texas, area. One day as I was entering the gate, a person at the gate handed me a card and asked me to fill it out. I saw that it said something about a union. I told the guy that I didn't want to join a union. He said, "Oh, it's not to join the union; it's just to let us know who is working here." So I filled out the card and handed it back to him.

My next and every subsequent pay check had union dues deducted, and there was nothing that anyone could do get it stopped.

So much for unions!!
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    The only way this Rebublic will survive is with a good dictator who values Capitalism. Obvious the Dems and the Reps will not get it right. I just love the fact that this govenment takes our money at gun point to fund my neighbors retirement. Extreamist has satutuated the Democrate/Communist Party. Unions suck espec teachers unions.
    We're in a dictatorship right now in this country. What Obama wants, he gets. The Constitution means nothing to him. Congress means nothing to him. Either the Dems give him what he wants, or he goes around them with czars and executive orders. He has the EPA and the FCC in his pocket now, and if Congress doesn't pass laws to "go green" and shut up Glenn Beck and FOX, the EPA and FCC will do so without laws. So one man is running this country now - I'd call that a pretty good example of a dictatorship.

Unions are organized crime. The members get bribed by getting everything for nothing, and in return they pay union dues which make the union bosses very rich, and the unions pay massive amounts of money to elect liberal, union-supporting politicians. Florida has a right-to-work law, which is a joke. I worked for TWU at Cape Canaveral during the Apollo Project, IBEW at Florida Power & Light, and the Teamsters at Holsum Bakery. I had no choice at any of these jobs - join the union, or lose my job. This wasn't intimated, it was told to me outright. Unions should be outlawed, period!
    -= Piece Corps =-

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Having been both a union member and the manager in a union shop, I say that unions are bad for businesses and good for the sick, lame and lazy.

I have seen union members who continually flout company rules and safety regulations, and they can't be terminated because of the union contract. The union leadership are blinded to everything else. They don't realize that what is bad for the company eventually trickles down to being bad for the workers. I have personally seen a union that was SO inflexible in its demands that they drove the company out of business. It got to be too expensive for them to do business. That translated to over 200 union members out of work.

Unions had their uses in the past. Today, they aren't needed and they hurt the ones they claim to help.

Also, most union leadership were Obama supporters. Why? Because it was a cash cow for them. They donated millions of dollars to Obama's election campaign because they knew he would support the union leaderships agenda. And ALL those union members who weren;t Obama supporters ended up paying to elect him whether they liked it or not.
    Well Said.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast