Florida House Approves Bill on Doctors' Gun Talk - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Florida House Approves Bill on Doctors' Gun Talk

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    The problem with this issue is that doctors are starting to do this with more frequency and becoming involved in areas of our lives in which they have no business. If some action isn't taken to nip it in the bud, they will infringe more and more into our lives. With the new health care program, this information could be reported to the government under the guise of looking out for our welfare or some other off the wall program. The more information we freely give out, the more problems we will be bringing on ourselves and letting others control our lives. Personally, I think we should have less government control and more personal freedoms. Once our freedoms are gone, we will not be able to get them back.
    I understand where those who support this bill are coming from. But my point is still the same, we need LESS regulation, not more. I do not have the freedom to not be asked questions by my dr. She can ask me anything she wants. If I don't like it, I will go somewhere else. That is true freedom, not asking the government to protect me from, of all things, a question. All this bill is doing is supporting a vicious cycle. More regulation always breeds more regulation. Let the market decide.
    I am still flabbergasted that someone went to a politician to complain about this. Seriously, for anyone on this thread, would YOU call your politician and ask them to create a bill to outlaw your dr asking you this question?

    If you want to nip it in the bud, fine. Make it public, complain to the medical board or whoever, get a movement going, whatever. But ask a politician to make it illegal? Come on. "protect me" laws are really getting on my nerves.

    Our country is now in a dire situation...our first thought when something bothers us is, REGULATE. Whatever happened to being self sufficient?

    Just so you know where I am coming from, I would refuse to answer. Then I would call a lawyer to sue my dr.
    Ok, I made that last part up :) But I would just refuse to answer and if was an issue of contention, get another dr.

    I will admit, since the link does not work, none of us obviously know the whole story. But based on what we know, yes, leave me alone. Leave dr's alone.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    If some action isn't taken to nip it in the bud, they will infringe more and more into our lives. With the new health care program, this information could be reported to the government under the guise of looking out for our welfare or some other off the wall program.The more information we freely give out, the more problems we will be bringing on ourselves and letting others control our lives.
    You can bet this will spread from Florida. One more step closer to government control of our children and qualifications for government controlled ObamaCare. Next will be the Child Protective Services (notified by the doctor) telling us that we a choice between having our children in our home or the gun, not both. Or something like the government telling us that by having guns in our home,we either can't be insured or we will have to pay a super high premium for having something unsafe in our home, at risk, etc.. They'll think of something. Anyway, you get the point.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Can someone explain how we have gotten to the point that we need legislation passed because a dr asked a patient a question? I am sorry, but whoever this patient was should move on and get over what obviously was a shattering experience to them.
    This problem is not just a Florida problem. This policy of the doctor's starts at the national level due to certain groups like the AMA and others sticking their noses in where it does not belong. This law was passed to stop this sort of intrusion by gov't before the doctor's groups pushed it thru. Doctors were refusing to treat people just because they owned guns.

  5. #14
    Can you cite a source to back this up, that doctors were refusing to treat gun owners? And if they were, was it something the government made them do? You say it was government intrusion. I cannot find anything about this entire affair. So i have to assume that it was the ama. or some rogue doctors, in which case I still say, so what? Change doctors and let the market decide. If the government regs were causing it, then more regs won't solve it.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Can you cite a source to back this up, that doctors were refusing to treat gun owners? And if they were, was it something the government made them do? You say it was government intrusion. I cannot find anything about this entire affair. So i have to assume that it was the ama. or some rogue doctors, in which case I still say, so what? Change doctors and let the market decide. If the government regs were causing it, then more regs won't solve it.
    Florida Bill Could Muzzle Doctors On Gun Safety : NPR quotes the American Academy of Pediatrics as being for gun control. And I said to stop this before the gov't agreed with the Doctors and pushed it thru. But you have to remember, your records are now in databases that the gov't can get to. And here's a doctor that refused to treat: http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/07...see-gun-owner/

  7. #16
    I would just ask the doctor to show me the paperwork that certifies that he or she has been properly trained on the subject of firearms safety. That should put a stop to this nonsense.
    Charlie

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Florida Bill Could Muzzle Doctors On Gun Safety : NPR quotes the American Academy of Pediatrics as being for gun control. And I said to stop this before the gov't agreed with the Doctors and pushed it thru. But you have to remember, your records are now in databases that the gov't can get to. And here's a doctor that refused to treat: Florida Family Doctor Refuses to Treat Gun Owner’s Baby | The Truth About Guns
    When you said "refused to treat" that means someone with an injury or illness. That is not the case here. The person refused to answer his questions, he said leave. This was refusing to accept her as a patient, not refusing to "treat" them. And not because she was a gun owner, but because she refused to answer his questions. I don't agree with the dr here, but this article proves my point about how weak and soft we have become. The dr did not want to accept a patient who refused to answer a question, she called the man of the house (you knew that was coming) and a lawsuit was immediately threatened. I say the dr, the woman and her husband should all be ridiculed in public on live tv. NO rights were violated. Get another dr, for crissake. But in today's society, we automatically do two things...lawsuit and legislate. The ama may have an agenda about guns I disagree with, but come on, they have been trying to ban boxing for years now.

    And if the dr records are in a database the govt can get to, is the answer really to legislate to dictate the dr's behavior, rather than to legislate to keep the government out of my medical records?

    I stand by my belief that we are getting soft, so soft. I am only 46, but my dad's generation would have told the dr to f&$% off. My generation sues. Oh well.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    When you said "refused to treat" that means someone with an injury or illness. That is not the case here. The person refused to answer his questions, he said leave. This was refusing to accept her as a patient, not refusing to "treat" them. And not because she was a gun owner, but because she refused to answer his questions. I don't agree with the dr here, but this article proves my point about how weak and soft we have become. The dr did not want to accept a patient who refused to answer a question, she called the man of the house (you knew that was coming) and a lawsuit was immediately threatened. I say the dr, the woman and her husband should all be ridiculed in public on live tv. NO rights were violated. Get another dr, for crissake. But in today's society, we automatically do two things...lawsuit and legislate. The ama may have an agenda about guns I disagree with, but come on, they have been trying to ban boxing for years now.

    And if the dr records are in a database the govt can get to, is the answer really to legislate to dictate the dr's behavior, rather than to legislate to keep the government out of my medical records?

    I stand by my belief that we are getting soft, so soft. I am only 46, but my dad's generation would have told the dr to f&$% off. My generation sues. Oh well.
    It is flat out none of the doctor's business if anyone has a gun. Asking the question and requiring an answer in order to continue get healthcare for your child violates a number of Constitutional safeguards. In Florida, even a LEO doesn't have to be told you are carrying unless asked directly. You'll note the fact that it is the AAP's policy to be anti-gun. That means your only doctors in an area may all be members. Telling someone who refuses to answer that question that they will no longer be treating is discrimination. If a doctor can decide not to treat or continue treating because of that question, what is to prevent them from refusing because of some other thing. Example: " Do you own a large dog? Not answering that question. Find another doctor."

    As for the database question. It isn't required to be there by the gov't, yet, so you make it a violation for the doctor to ask it and put it down anywhere except in cases of attempted suicides or gunshot wounds. And in gunshot wounds, it would be the police that would be asking for anything other than basic info in the first place. Databases are not secure. Even the gov't can't keep secrets.


    In your dad's generation, the doctors would never have asked the question in the first place. Guns in rural areas would have been the norm. Doctors were there to treat people, not express political views. That is a major problem with the groups like the AMA and AAP. They aren't so much about doing good as they are about politics anymore.

    I think we both agree that the docs shouldn't ask and that the threat of a lawsuit shouldn't be expressed except in writing in the suit itself. A big problem with society today is that we are lawsuit happy. A lot of that comes from the legal profession and our gov't's intrusions into everyday life. If you use a lawn mower, you know what I mean.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Even the gov't can't keep secrets.
    Ain't that the truth! Can't even keep a little fun on the side with an intern in a blue dress a secret.

    This is why I usually dismiss all the "hidden conspiracy" folks as nuts. They usually are. There are conspiracies to be sure, but it's the conspiracies right in our face that scare me. This is one of them. When all the doctors force you to answer an unimportant and non-health related question or you don't get treated, your rights are gone.

    This idea that "only the government" can violate your rights is completely bogus.

  11. #20
    Just what we need, MDs (More than likely the gunaphobic ones) trying to lecture on gun safety. What is wrong with this picture?

    Kind of sounds like they are getting into issues more appropriate to Psychologists and Sociologists to me. I really don't believe their MD lisence grants them "lisence" to operate in those arenas.

    Just sayin'. Amazing what we have to do to keep people out of our own business. This freekin' "We KNOW what is good for you!" attitude amongst the "Educated Elite" (supposedly) is really beginning to irk me to no end.

    I decide what is good for me, even if it is in error. It's a self responsibility thing.

    That way, if I screw up, it's on no one but me..... also a responsibility I accept. If I get screwed following the edicts of my supposed "betters', no only am I screwed but I will not even have the recourse to say "I was just following directions/edicts/Lib Law." as consolation. THEY sure as hell don't care. All they are concerned about is their power to "control" us peons.

    GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast