Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates

Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates

I hope no one thought the fight was over with.

A federal judge ruled Monday there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public a decision that dealt a setback to gun-rights advocates who had challenged how much discretion California law enforcement officials have in issuing concealed weapons permits.

U.S. District Court Judge Morrison England Jr. in Sacramento supported a policy by Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto that says applicants must have a reason, such as a safety threat, to legally carry a concealed weapon in his county northwest of Sacramento.

Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates News

Prieto was sued by opponents claiming sheriffs, who issue most concealed weapons permits, must give the documents to any applicant as long as they are not mentally ill, do not have a criminal background and complete a training course.
    Those who advocate extreme positions don't have much credibility when they lose to an extreme position.

I'm not in favor of every half-wit carrying a concealed weapon in public. I'm also not in favor in government officials having unbridled authority to make arbitrary determinations about who can carry a concealed weapon.

The only way We the People can come to a rational system is to ignore the extremists. Unfortunately, FOX News and MSNBC play to the extremists. We the People need to take back our country from the kooks and crazies.

Cool

Earlier today, FOX News ran an item on this ruling. There were several requirements the sheriff makes of applicants. One has had to be a victim of a crime; he has to prove that he has been a victim of a crime; be a person who carries large sums of money in their business; have had threats of violence and, finally, be of good moral character. This is pure BS but a Federal judge has signed off on it. There is supposed to be an appeal of the judge's ruling but I do not feel that a liberal leaning court will overturn the ruling. This is another reason I feel that Federal judges should not have a lifetime appointment. But, then again, this is California we are talking about.

My Wife and I spent 10 days in Sacramento, last Sept. (2010) we are retired. Me 75 YOA.
    We were the advance party for our Sons Wedding (for anyone who has been in that position, know what I mean, the Taxi/Pick up people, and stuff, unpaid dogs body's!)
    We live in Orlando, any handguns I own, stayed at home, if I can not carry one? why take one?

I felt most uncomfortable in the shopping malls, drug stores, like Walgreen's, etc. No Police on foot ever seen! And the people on the streets? Not Kansas Dorothy!

One young man I spoke to, around 20 YOA, skinny, black rotted teeth (Meth addict?) fresh knife slice on his cheek, he said he was playing around with his buddy, I asked him for directions to Trader Joe's, he was very pleasant, gave good directions.

To get back to the post, the Cops carry Guns? But do not think being a Citizen of these United States is good enough reason for us to do so? You can keep California.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    You can keep California.
    +1 to that statement.

Having lived (if you call it "living") in California, I can assure you that it is not part of the United States...and doesn't want to be.

Having lived in CA, I am now very happy to be living here in Utah where the place is MUCH more gun friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    My Wife and I spent 10 days in Sacramento, last Sept. (2010) we are retired. Me 75 YOA.
    We were the advance party for our Sons Wedding (for anyone who has been in that position, know what I mean, the Taxi/Pick up people, and stuff, unpaid dogs body's!)
    We live in Orlando, any handguns I own, stayed at home, if I can not carry one? why take one?

I felt most uncomfortable in the shopping malls, drug stores, like Walgreen's, etc. No Police on foot ever seen! And the people on the streets? Not Kansas Dorothy!

One young man I spoke to, around 20 YOA, skinny, black rotted teeth (Meth addict?) fresh knife slice on his cheek, he said he was playing around with his buddy, I asked him for directions to Trader Joe's, he was very pleasant, gave good directions.

To get back to the post, the Cops carry Guns? But do not think being a Citizen of these United States is good enough reason for us to do so? You can keep California.
    Yeah, it's pretty scary around here! I heard on the radio that Sacramento is now #2 (behind Oakland) for the most dangerous cities in CA and #2 (behind Fresno) in property crimes. They're laying off our LEOs left and right and letting criminals out of jail/prison even faster. This ruling is absolutely rediculous and I have no doubt that it will be turned over by SCOTUS... but it'll be a looooong wait for those in Yolo County!
    Billy

One of the best things i ever did for my self was getting the hell out of california.

PRK I was there only because of the work I did with the DoD from 1980 - 1996 and once that was over and done with I went home to Arizona the very friendliest gun state in Armerica.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

I always find it interesting when I read....
    England countered that California law currently lets gun owners carry an unloaded weapon so it can be quickly loaded and used in self-defense if needed.
    so... do Police, who are more likely to receive advance notice that they are about to encounter a crime scene carry unloaded... after all... they MUST have more practice than the average citizen at loading quickly....

and how about this one...
    Prieto's seven-page policy limits permits to those who can demonstrate they have been victims of a violent crime, have had threats of violence, or business owners who carry large amounts of cash.
    Will my dead body be enough of a demonstration that I have been the victim of a violent crime ? (and that the police were NOT present to prevent said crime and protect my life since I am unable to do so myself )

All I can say is.... DOH !!!!
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast