Your Tax Dollars At Work (Waste): Secret Shadow Internet

Thread: Your Tax Dollars At Work (Waste): Secret Shadow Internet

Your Tax Dollars At Work (Waste): Secret Shadow Internet

Millions of law-abiding U.S. Citizens out of work and we are wasting money on this B.S....

Your Tax Dollars At Work: Secret Shadow Internet

U.S. Funding Secret Internet Access for Dissidents Abroad - The Atlantic Wire - Technology - The Atlantic

In the wake of the United Nations declaration that access to the Internet is a basic human right, the Obama administration is building a shadow Internet that will be accessible if foreign governments shut down access to the Web. The Atlantic Wire's Ujala Sehgal outlined some of the ways in which the U.S. might safeguard Internet access around the world. Among them:

Internet in a Suitcase A $2 million State Department grant is being used to develop a prototype "Internet in a suitcase," that the Times notes is like something "out of a spy novel." The suitcase project will rely on a version of "mesh network" technology, which can connect devices like cellphones or computers, creating a web without a centralized hub. Thus, each innocuous-looking suitcase acts as a mini-tower that can bypass the official network. "We're going to build a separate infrastructure where the technology is nearly impossible to shut down, to control, to surveil," said Sascha Meinrath, who is leading the "Internet in a suitcase" project.

Independent cellphone networks This effort includes secretive projects to create independent cellphone networks inside foreign countries, like Iran, Syria, and Libya. In Afghanistan, the State Department and Pentagon have spent at least $50 million creating a network outside of the control of the Taliban, which could shut down Afghan services at will, according to the Times. Details of the network are scarce, but military and civilian officials said it relied in part on cell towers placed on protected American bases.

Read the full story at The Atlantic Wire.
    U.S. Funding Secret Internet Access for Dissidents Abroad - Technology - The Atlantic Wire

NoBama, No RINOS 2012

Fire the so-called Republican Establishment...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

3. You act surprised.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but for the most part what the government is good at is "WASTING" money.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fisck View Post
    You act surprised.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but for the most part what the government is good at is "WASTING" money.
    I disagree. The are GREAT at wasting money. A close second would be creating laws that strip us of our rights.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I disagree. The are GREAT at wasting money. A close second would be creating laws that strip us of our rights.
    They're not even great at it. If they were, people wouldn't find out about it. They just waste money.

Come on now people, they are only looking out for our best interest. You must all relize that us poor common people are not capable of making the right decisions for our selves. If we are aloud to keep our own money, why we might spend it on making a better life for ourselves. How selfish is that?
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan