Airsoft: Toy or Not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft: Toy or Not?

Airsoft: Toy or Not?

This is a hot issue in California right now. SB798 aims to make Airsoft and other types of air-powered guns conform to a bright color and style standard that shows them to be different from conventional firearms.

Posted this to the GunSafes.com Facebook today.

Do you think this a good or bad idea? Does this affect you? Is this a Second Amendment issue?

For the full bill: http://1.usa.gov/mto3u0
    For discussion on opposition: No On California SB 798 | Facebook

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    YES, ABSOLUTELY. Air guns can be lethal especially if you get shot in the eye or throat or at close range. Years ago I responded to a burglary of a coin operated machine in progress in Houston Texas. The coin operated machine happened to be located in an apartment complex in one of the many laundry mats. This was at approximately 2 am and when I arrived I walked around and checked them. I walked up to one of these laundry mats and peeked over a bush inside. The lights were out but what I saw was a young man who had another person on the floor and holding what appeared to be a large caliber handgun to his head. Backup was a few minutes out and not knowing what was transpiring I crouched down and leveled my weapon around the corner of the door and identified myself to the actors inside. I came VERY close to shooting the perp holding the firearm. I had to scream at this person and tell them that if they did NOT put down the weapon that I would be forced to fire on them. It turned out to be two teen aged boys playing cops and robbers. They both had shoulder holsters and air pistols. For all intents and purposes they looked real from a distance. I have never forgotten that experience. The two boys went to juvenile because they were breaking into the washer machines and we confiscated their air pistols. At approximately 5 am the father of one of the teenagers called our dispatcher and requested the arresting officer come have a chat with him. He was angry that we dared to transport his son to juvenile and take his air pistol from him. After all, they were boys and they were just having fun. Once I explained to the man that his child almost went to the morgue because of what he was doing he calmed down a bit and agreed with me that what they were doing was unlawful and dangerous.

"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"
    Oh I just KNEW I'd be hearing that one from you!

Guess they figure that you couldn't paint your carry gun to look like an airsoft LOL Ca it figures

Airsoft guns are not toys and should not be treated as such. They are different that guns that use gunpowder and lead but they are also different than the cap pistols that I had as a kid.

Not toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Airsoft guns are toys. They cannot kill you. Most good airsoft guns shoot a .20 gram plastic bb at around 350 feet per second. I play in large airsoft games and trust me, getting shot at by fully auto guns shooting plastic bb's does nothing more than provide a light sting on bare skin. Wear a shirt and and their effect is even less. A paintball gun leaves welts and bruises for days, an airsoft gun leaves a small red bump on bare skin for 30 seconds.
    I am more scared of a person holding a pair of small dull scissors than a person holding an airsoft gun.
    If you think the fact they look "real" is dangerous, how about the big orange tip on them? Does your real gun have an orange tip? Does a real gun make a small click when you shoot it, or does it make a big boom? They even make airsoft guns that are completely clear plastic now too.
    A few years ago while playing airsoft a LEO rolled up and using his common sense, he was not scared of us, did not threaten to shoot us for holding airsoft guns that look "real", and simply told us to be careful and have fun.

Bob, you're more than welcome to try and stir thing sup here. I remove tons of spam each day, but I just don't the time to add much anymore. People don't seem to care. Any help is appreciated.

First of all Crazyfornia is nuts, they are so strongly anti gun they'd ban gun OIL if they could.

Personally I think airsoft guns are toys like paintball guns they can be used for training ... but primarily they are just for fun. Yes, they can cause injuries but not if used properly.

I can actually see a bit of sense in the idea since they have been mistaken for real guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast