Hypothetical Situation - Page 2

View Poll Results: If the 2nd Amendment was repealed, would there be a second Civil War?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 44.68%
  • No

2 4.26%
  • No organized rebellion, but small groups of rebels fighting

11 23.40%
  • The 2nd Amendment will never be repealed

13 27.66%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Situation

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
    I'm currently teaching my daughter about the American Revolution. Those guys were amazing in their commitment, and even my 6 year old has noticed the similarity between colonial era England and our current Federal government. We so suck.
    No kidding. My oldest is a Founding Fathers/Revolutionary War junkie. Amazing how we're taught how free this country is, but we've come a long way from the freedom that our founders envisioned and established. The next generation need to learn more about the revolutionary era than the skim over they get at school--parents and grandparents take note :) . A great book is "How to Raise an American--1776 fun and easy tools, tips, and activities to help your child love this country" by Myrna Blyth and Chryss Winston.

Here's my boy at Halloween--most kids in his class were dead/gross things and he wanted to be George Washington (real drop front breeches, 18th century shirt, cravate, and sized down regimental coat made by his crazy mom).

It really all depends. Just on the basis of repealing the 2nd Amendment, there wouldn't be a civil war - there's not enough widespread support for it. Many people, although they may own one or two guns that they never use, would go along with it.

If people saw it as a "today the 2nd Amendment, tomorrow the ___ Amendment" situation, then more people might take a definite position on it.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

I don't think any thing would happen. Myself would get in touch with the bad inflewence freinds and get a couple of non-registered guns and stash them.

If it happens most of us here would be on the same page. The nation as a whole I am not so sure about. The following might be good to review.

http://www.rkba.org/comment/cowards.html
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    My oldest is a Founding Fathers/Revolutionary War junkie.
    I makes me happy to know some people still raise thier children up right. :icon_wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    It really all depends. Just on the basis of repealing the 2nd Amendment, there wouldn't be a civil war - there's not enough widespread support for it. Many people, although they may own one or two guns that they never use, would go along with it.

If people saw it as a "today the 2nd Amendment, tomorrow the ___ Amendment" situation, then more people might take a definite position on it.
    I think that with the right leadership, a Civil War would be a very good possibility. The situation can be spun several ways that would encourage folks to take action.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Lets dig up Robert E. Lee and clone him. :icon_wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

I'd have a feeling the number of stolen firearm reports would skyrocket at every local police department. Smirk. I think this would go down one way in some states and another in others. The heartland gun culture would have issues with giving up their guns. Big issues. Just look at the number of competition shoots, SASS, and ccw alone. In the large cities it probably would go down easier, well it already is. Like the food or money for guns patrol. ARG!!! Don't know honestly what would happen, hope we never see that. Best that can be done is to spread gun safety and gun education and keep doing what we are doing.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I think that with the right leadership, a Civil War would be a very good possibility. The situation can be spun several ways that would encourage folks to take action.

gf
    Definitely. If it were spun right, I could even see liberals unexpectedly getting on board. If the 2nd A gets repealed, then what else might go? Search and seizure? Attorney rights? There's a lot of bongs out there waiting to be seized. It's all connected, and I for one would be fine with negotiations that legalize marijuana, if we get to repeal the NFA.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

In a manner of speaking yes...

It would bring us back to the Prohibition Era; violence, chaos. We didn't being able to drink as part of our Bill of Rights, but it certainly was treated as such back then.

We'd have gun runners instead of bootleggers. Higher incidence of vigilantism. What would happen after a few years is the Amendment repealing the 2nd would be repealed like Prohibition if the country survives that long. A modern day prohibition could feasibly be the end of days for our country. Law enforcement and military would be overtaxed handling domestic issues. Crime would flourish.

Also keep in mind the amount of civilian firearm owners in the US greatly out numbers our military and commissioned LEOs. Come to think of it, the number of active NRA members probably outnumbers our military and commissioned LEOs in the US.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast