How to respond to anti-gun types - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to respond to anti-gun types

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    It's predictable... Way too predictable...

Nice to see you back in the fray....

Peace...
    Thanks 6shooter, good to be back.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Ahem. Well. Back to the original post....

What you say to anti-gun people is nothing. You can't change their minds. In fact, this forum is a pretty good example of exactly how not to get people to side with you. Attack them, call them stupid, say you can't believe how ignorant they are for not seeing things your way. And then believe that they will see the wisdom of your words and come around to your side.

The only thing a person can do with any assurance is to be a good example. Carry your gun quietly and respectfully. Offer to take them to the range. Try teaching them a few things about firearm safety. Stop taking the political and moral high ground, because all you are doing is pushing people away and cementing their ideas that you are a fanatic. Try listening to them and seeing things from their point of view. You know what? Guns ARE scary. Guns DO kill people--or at least make it much, much easier to kill people. And then you show them that a responsible gun owner takes the fear out of handling and using a firearm, and that a responsible gun owner can use his weapon in sport, recreation, or self defense when and if necessary.

It works on a personal level, and hopefully it can work on a national level, as well. If the rest of the world sees a polite, armed society, maybe places like Chicago will see that gun owners can be the best friends they've got.

Agree you will not change the mind of anti gunners most of the time, the times I have offered to take these folks to the range and shoot with them, they change their own minds. Silent respectful carry works a friend of mine (anti gunner) mentioned he was thinking about getting a cc, (suprise, I have no idea where that came from), he ask had I thought about it and I said I have been carrying many years and was carrying that day while we had lunch. He now has cc.

Project 60 Idaho China

localgirl, you should check this out. Doesn't look good. Google Project 60 Idaho China. Be sure you include "China" in your type.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    localgirl, you should check this out. Doesn't look good. Google Project 60 Idaho China. Be sure you include "China" in your type.
    Oh I saw it. I don't really know what to think.

I'm trying to keep an open mind.

For those of you who don't know, Idaho (one of the last best places) is selling citizenship to foreign investors for 500k to $1 mil.

The only positive I can think of is that the people who want to purchase citizenship have to provide a company base in Idaho, which will in turn provide jobs for Idahoans, which we desperately need right now. Other than that, I'm having a lot of trouble seeing anything good here.

All things considered, I think it's too high a price to pay for my beloved state.

I don't bother discussing the topic with them. My father used to say that the difference between an anti-gunner and a deliberate man is one good mugging.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

It depends on the level of "anti-gun hostility" encountered... If the inquiry is to illicit information and get some form of education, I will always be forthcoming and assist. I have had many people ask me why I decided to get involved and then how they could go about getting involved as well once they had a level of comfort. Two coworkers who now have licenses, 2 neighbors (husband and wife) both newly licensed, my brother, my niece and 2 nephews, an old friend.. The list goes on and on... They all had their initial opinions, but were not hostile about it... They changed their minds and now enjoy shooting and gun ownership...

Others have the "debate me" attitude and a desire to make you feel like your decision is wrong (usually a liberal with that mental illness called "I know better for you") ... I have no desire to debate nor explain my choices to people who have it in their heads already everyone else is wrong... So to those people "mind your own business" is the reply... Nothing more.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Or we could respect their position, just as we expect them to respect ours. They can't argue with us if we won't argue with them. Just say "I appreciate and understand your position on this issue, but I don't agree with you. I'm working to expand the right of people to carry and I believe people who think like me will rule the day eventually."

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    "I'm working to expand the right of people to carry and I believe people who think like me will rule the day eventually."
    That's the idea... Dispatching liberals one at a time...

Since it is the "mob rules" mentality why not... LOL...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willy View Post
    Major General Peter Cosgrove is a Pure Australian treasure!'

This is one of the best comeback lines of all time.. It is a portion of an ABC radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    But you're equipping them to become violent killers..

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio cast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

One of my friends emaild this to me, it fits this discussion
    Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast