How to respond to anti-gun types
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to respond to anti-gun types

How to respond to anti-gun types

It seems odd to me that people think the gun is the evil thing when someone is shot with an illegally possessed gun. Is it the gun, or the person, that's in the wrong?

The anti-gun types (and anti tea-party, and anti- you-name-it types) came out of the woodwork over the Giffords incident in AZ. Even though the shooter was apparently nuts, it still wasn't the gun in the wrong. But the anti-gun types believe no guns equals no gun crimes. They believe it's the gun that's evil.

We in this forum know that's not the case. Regardless where guns are legal or illegal, criminals carry them for many reasons. One may be because the rap for possession is far less than the rap for half the things they have already done or will do. Possession vs. manslaughter-1? The possession rap is nothing compared to man-1. Possession vs aggravated robbery? Big deal. They just don't give a flip about the law - it's meaningless to them. There is the difference - it's NOT meaningless to us.

Try this - instead of taking the approach of telling the anti-gun folks they are wrong, just ask them if they are evil and murderous - do they right now desire to go out and murder someone? Rob a 7-11? Do a drive-by and spray a house indescriminately?

Of course the answer is no...

Then ask them this - say they were walking by a school, and found a loaded gun on the ground. Of course no one would want to leave it there for a child to find. And they needed to go somewhere so couldn't stand around all day guarding it. By calling 911, they hear the cops were all involved in a major bomb-threat elsewhere and unavailable to come to the scene. They are asked to carefully bring it 2 blocks to the police station. They pick it up - a loaded gun. Would they now want to go out and murder someone, or rob a 7-11? The gun is in their hands - does it cause them to want to commit a gun felony?

Again, they'd say no, likely with a look of disgust. They would never go out and rob a 7-11. Gun or no gun, they wouldn't commit the crime - that's right, isn't it?

The gun is therefore irrelevant to the desire to do the crime. It's the person, not the gun, that does the evil thing.

If by this time they haven't had a moment's introspection over their position, they've drunk way too much of the kool-aid.

You are trying to use logic to argue with people that are not intersested in logic. They only care about their agenda and how good they feel about themselves because they care more than you do.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

I concur. For too many the agenda trumps intelligence and reasoning. I hope that amongst those spewing the party-line, there may be a few that are struck by reason, reasonably presented, and have the spine to change their minds.

The same people that protest guns protest everything else; they are professional protesters/whiners. Years ago I saw a Rush Limbaugh program where he showed several different protest marches and he pointed out all these people that were at each one

It does crack me up though....these people who think that if we outlaw legal guns/ownership today, violent gun crime will just 'disappear' tomorrow.

There's also an old saying, "You can't talk horse sense to a jack ass". Whether it's gun rights, abortion, gay rights, or whatever; some people are so sewt in their ways they will not even consider the other side of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by sdismukes View Post
    I concur. For too many the agenda trumps intelligence and reasoning. I hope that amongst those spewing the party-line, there may be a few that are struck by reason, reasonably presented, and have the spine to change their minds.
    Well...hubby and I were invited to a neighbour's house the other week. The woman of the house who owns the house grew up with plinking cans in her youth. Her ex-husband was an airline pilot and have a lot of guns. After her husband died, she never touched the guns again and plan to give it to her son one day. She is not against guns but her boyfriend is. Just like any other person who hasn't touched guns since whenever, she is scared it might go off on its own. I explained to her that is not the case. Meanwhile my husband went into rhetorics and defended his position on carrying. Before our visit was over, we were all talking like human beings usually do after a heated argument. We're going to the range this weekend.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

You can not have a rational conversation with an irrational individual, it isn't possible.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Major General Peter Cosgrove is a Pure Australian treasure!'

This is one of the best comeback lines of all time.. It is a portion of an ABC radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    But you're equipping them to become violent killers..

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio cast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

One of my friends emaild this to me, it fits this discussion
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

I received this in an e-mail several months ago. This goes along with another one I got about a reporter interviewing a Marine sniper. She asked him what he felt when he took out a target. His answer was "recoil mam".
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I received this in an e-mail several months ago. This goes along with another one I got about a reporter interviewing a Marine sniper. She asked him what he felt when he took out a target. His answer was "recoil mam".
    And you find that impressive?

Sounds "cool" but it is BS.

Any human who has just killed another human and claims they have no personal emotional reaction to it is either a liar or a nut case who should never be allowed to live in a civilized society without 24/7 supervision.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast