Hunting and politics (remember, thick skin) - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: Hunting and politics (remember, thick skin)

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    Icewind is unbelievable. I suspect he's just egging folks on.
    hey Jim, I'm not egging anybody on. I'm a gun owner, I carry ccw from time to time, I like guns, (Glocks and Berettas only!) and I'm all for 2nd amendment rights. I love meat medium rare tri-tip, NY, and rib eye are my favorite cuts.

    As Americans we consume everything we see. That is why as a country we are so dependent on China,Brazil, and others. Because we have so sense of moderation.

    Hunter too fall right into that. As I stated above the AZ Bald Eagle was almost killed off! Some nra dopes got the ban lifted, for who knows why, and now they are unprotected again. I'm sure some hunter will some wacky reason why he needed to kill every last one of them. Is 10 to many? is 100 to many?

    Hunting is just a sour note with me. I was raised with pets and we always fed the wild birds outside and what not. I for one will not have the albatross hung around my neck. I love all things that God made. If you're wondering what means try reading the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. A short read. a poem really.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Icewind, do you honestly believe that just because the bald eagle is no longer listed as endangered that every hunter is chomping at the bit to shoot a bald eagle? You are unbelievable

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post

    Hunting is just a sour note with me. I was raised with pets and we always fed the wild birds outside and what not. I for one will not have the albatross hung around my neck. I love all things that God made.
    Ditto. If I had to hunt to eat then I would hunt, but only then. Anyone who kills for sport or fun is sick and pathetic IMO.
    AMERICA'S EPITAPH
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Up To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edge of freedom
    Posts
    424
    Here's a hard fact. An acre of land can only sustain a small number of deer through the winter. If a few are not culled from the herd year after year the entire herd is in dire straits. The result of over population is disease and starvation. Mother nature can be very much crueler than real hunters ever thought of being. The ultimate goal of the true hunter is a quick humane kill. I've seen the results of over population and it aint pretty. One more fact. You would not be alive today if it wasn't for hunters.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

  6. China? Moderate? They have the largest population in the world, they just built the largest dam in the world which displaced over 1 million people, not to mention destroying millions of acres of habitat (and, I guess, creating habitat for fish).
    People consume, and they also contribute. People, like everything else in the world, are a resource, not a liability.
    And I don't know what you're getting at. I was raised with pets too, and have them now. I also feed the wild birds, even though they are quite capable of fending for themselves. But I, as someone who benefits from her husbands hunting TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for obtaining my food. My husband hunts, I raise meatbirds and hens for eggs. We both fish (relatively unsuccessfully, I might add).
    You SAY you love God's creatures, but you're willing to go to a grocery store and buy a steak off the shelf. A steak from a cow that was fed inappropriate food for most of its life, then forced to live in overcrowded conditions while swilling in its own crap for several months before being turned into your steak. A. That's gross. B. It's unhealthy. C. It's cruel to the beast who gave it's life for your nourishment.
    MY food lived a natural, and hopefully healthy life up until the moment it's life was taken, as swiftly and mercifully as we are capable of. If we prove unable to provide a swift, merciful death, we grieve that fact, and strive to do better next time. This is taking REAL responsibility. The albatross I don't want hung around my neck (and yes, I know what that means, and that The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a poem) is my responsibility for the continuation of CAFOs.
    Getting your meat from a grocery store involves no responsibility at all. You don't have to look the beast in the eye when you take its life and you aren't taking any real, physical, personal responsibility for the beasts quality of life up to the point of its death. That's all fine, if you know your place in the food chain, but don't rip on those of us who do assume that responsibility for whatever reason that we do. And DO NOT mess with our right to do so.
    You think you're so awesome because your meat doesn't blink the first time you see it? I challenge you to forage for one good square meal where none of the food comes from any kind of grocery store. You either pick it, gather it, harvest it, raise it or kill it and process it yourself. And I mean everything, from the veggies to the herbs to the salt for your meat. While you're at it, make it a good, tasty meal, don't just go out there and make some kind of pine needle tea. Brew yourself some beer or wine, milk a cow and make yourself some creme fraiche or cheese; buy a chick, raise it and kill it yourself, or ask someone to take you hunting and see what it's really like, forage for some wild mushrooms or asparagus then put it all together, invite some friends over and eat together. THEN come back and discuss what you've learned. But until then, I believe I'll stick with my fact-based opinions.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Ditto. If I had to hunt to eat then I would hunt, but only then. Anyone who kills for sport or fun is sick and pathetic IMO.
    Well, if you've never hunted because it's "sick and pathetic", good luck when you do get hungry and need to hunt to eat. Odds are, with no prior solid hunting experience, you'll be eating road kill and grass.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Ditto. If I had to hunt to eat then I would hunt, but only then. Anyone who kills for sport or fun is sick and pathetic IMO.
    And anyone who watches the gratuitously and salaciously violent film designed to inspire acts of violence against Jewish people made by hardcore anti-semite Mel Gibson and calls it "spiritually uplifting" is a sadist at heart.

  9. #28
    I have no idea why anyone would hunt the bald eagle but to paint all hunters with the broad brush of having no sense of moderation pretty much kills your argument to me. There are a few out there that overdo it but most every hunter I know eats what they kill (in fact I don't know any that don't). I was raised to believe that you eat what you kill, and when fishing you either eat it or throw it back. You do realize that the population of all animals that are hunted is monitored and hunting laws and season lengths are modifed accordingly, don't you? That is why deer season in upstate SC is about two months long while bear season is only a week or two. If you are caught hunting out of season, at night, or for the wrong animal the penalties are quite severe.

    Twogunwilly is exactly right in his point about animal overpopulation as well. If the herd isn't thinned, they run out of food and many times more will die. It's a hard fact of life but it is a fact, and it isn't pretty.

    I personally do not hunt (lack of time mostly) but I support hunter's rights 110%.

    Any candidate that ran on a platform of stricter hunting laws and 2A rights would not even get serious backing, much less a nomination from a major party.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Hunters are the primary reason there is more wildlife in this country than ever before. Like it or not, man has already interferred with the "natural" progression of native species. So, in this day and age wildlife management is CRITICAL for a species' survival; and one of the BEST management tools for maintaining the HEALTH and increasing populations of wildlife is hunting.

    Animal rights WACKOS owe a great deal of thanks to the relative few people who take the time to HUNT and "manage" wildlife populations in order to insure "trophy" specimens of the animals the hunt.

    The same holds true for the Greenpiece idiots! Commercial fishermen are the primary reason so much time and effort has been invested to improve fish and marine habitats and populations.

    Not to mention the "positive" effects lumber, oil and gas companies have had on our true "wilderness" areas, there are more trees in this country than ever before. There are larger Caribo herds than ever before. There are MUCH bigger populations of major animal species in certain areas of the country than has been seen for decades.

    The truth is "WEAKER" species have been going extinct for tens of thousands of years. It's called: "the natural process of evolution." There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of stopping this process!

    One day it may even be "humans" on the chopping block. But, right now humans are at the TOP of the food change and are directly responsible for the improvements we've seen in animal populations and animal habitat. However, the sad truth is that the IDIOT animal rights activist and government groups like the EPA in their educated IGNORANCE have severely harmed more species of animals than hunters and fishermen have ever dreamed about.

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Ditto. If I had to hunt to eat then I would hunt, but only then. Anyone who kills for sport or fun is sick and pathetic IMO.
    And anyone who watches the gratuitously and salaciously violent film designed to inspire acts of violence against Jewish people made by hardcore anti-semite Mel Gibson and calls it "spiritually uplifting" is a sadist at heart.
    hahaha, I love the Internet.....how did antisemitism come into this discussion?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast