Hunting and politics (remember, thick skin) - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting and politics (remember, thick skin)

In Michigan, we have a deep population of close to (more?) 1,000,000. This also results in millions of dollars in damages to farmers, NOT TO MENTION, thousands of vehicle-deer incidents each year. While I do not hunt (no need for the food and wouldn't waste anything if I did have that need) there needs to be a means to thin this number each year. I have several deer in my yard two or three times a day, but that's not a problem for me. Here's an excerpt of a report (not sure how old it is) from Cornell University:

General Deer Population Facts

Population History
    In the early 1900's there were an estimated 500,000 white-tailed deer in the United States. Unregulated commercial hunting and subsistence hunting threatened to eliminate the white-tailed deer from much of its range. At that time, many state wildlife agencies were formed with the goal of conserving the nation's depleted wildlife resources. Hunting regulations were put into place, and the harvest of antlerless (female) deer was prohibited. The rebound of white-tailed deer populations that followed is considered a wildlife management success story. Today there are over 20 million deer in the United States and numbers are rising.

Just because the Eagle was taken of the endangered list does not mean we can hunt them,they have been protected under Federal Law since 1940.
    As water reflects a face,so a mans heart reflects the man.Proverbs 27:19

Reminds me of the guy who was busted for shooting a California Condor (a protected species). He tried to explain to the Judge: "Your honor, I was lost in the canyonlands for days and was starving. So, I shot one only to eat and save my life". Judge says: "Fine. I can understand that. Case dismissed". Guy thanks the judge and goes to leave and the Judge says "hey buddy, I'm just curious. What did it taste like?". Guy says "oh, kind of a cross between a spotted owl and a bald eagle".

Let the beatings begin.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

5. Icewind,

Your concerns are valid however very naÔve. Letís not forget that our plant is Millions of years old and has evolved with many species that has come and gone. Donít let the federal government run Media sway your thinking that the USA is bad. China has five times more people the USA, India has three more people than the USA do you really think they give a flying rats ass about saving this earth?????? Please do more research before spewing nonsense you lose credibility that way.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Icewind,

Your concerns are valid however very naÔve. Let’s not forget that our plant is Millions of years old and has evolved with many species that has come and gone. Don’t let the federal government run Media sway your thinking that the USA is bad. China has five times more people the USA, India has three more people than the USA do you really think they give a flying rats ass about saving this earth?????? Please do more research before spewing nonsense you lose credibility that way.
    Thanks for caring about my online credibility. Your take on China and India is invalid, that's like saying when you see a bad kid at the grocer I should just walk up and spank him. No, you can only do what you can do. China and India are not where I come from so I care nothing about their worries, be they animal control or chemical waste.

Im not a Al Gore junkie trying to save the world, don't know if it's even worth the trouble, I'm just a regular working dope that happens to like animals and thinks this is a area that demands a little more Gov. regulation. There needs to be alot done in the ocean. A blind man can see the oceans are being over fished. If you all think there are to many deer stop killing off all the mountain lions.

It all starts with some more regulation. Cut all hunting permits in half for 5 years. Bring it back up to todays permits and rules for 1 year then back to half for another 3 years. something like that.

Why are the people trying to make a small difference called the dangerous ones when were not the ones holding the rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Icewind,
    Letís not forget that our plant is Millions of years old and has evolved with many species that has come and gone. Please do more research before spewing nonsense you lose credibility that way.
    Saying that our planet is "millions of years old", and in the same breath asking someone else to do more research before "spewing nonsense" is amusing. But, to each is own.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Well, if you've never hunted because it's "sick and pathetic", good luck when you do get hungry and need to hunt to eat. Odds are, with no prior solid hunting experience, you'll be eating road kill and grass.
    You might try reading what I said, instead of reading into what I said. This crap gets old.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Saying that our planet is "millions of years old", and in the same breath asking someone else to do more research before "spewing nonsense" is amusing. But, to each is own.
    Ringo, sound like a hit and run to me. Show me scientific proof that the earth is not millions of year old. I think maybe your timing is way out of whack.

Icewind, from your comments it sounds like you bought into that wacko scheme that Al Gore invented..... that Man has caused Global warming. I expect the next thing your going spew out is that we need to stop reproducing and having children because there are to many people on earth....Gee..... we just can't do anything right can we.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    It all starts with some more regulation. Cut all hunting permits in half for 5 years. Bring it back up to todays permits and rules for 1 year then back to half for another 3 years. something like that.
    Let me ask you this - where is your data that permits need to be reduced at all? What makes you think that deer and other game animals are in danger? I'm asking for hard facts and data, not "gut feel." If it is obvious then someone must have collected data to back it up.

11. It isn't the hunters that are the problem. It is the poachers. Before you regulate hunting you need to stop all poaching.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast