Lets try ripping apart the 1st amendment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets try ripping apart the 1st amendment

Lets try ripping apart the 1st amendment

Would others also look to interpret the first amendment? Since it seems everyone is so zealous at tearing apart our freedoms over interpretations...The only time it says "the people", is when its addressing the right to assemble...does this mean the people don't have the right to other freedoms? But only the people who the government interprets the 1st amendment was talking about?

1st amendment below:
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What was the question again? What I wonder is wearing those who support the second amendment so vehemently will also stand up for the others instead of supporting government intrusion into other areas of our lives.

What are you referencing this too, You must have a original question

Lol I guess I didn't have question but more of a statement...but to make it easier, does the first amendment say only the people have the right to assembly, and none of the rest?

Only because I come across so much interpretation that the second amendment applies either to just militias, or is an out of date amendment that needs ratification...blah blah...we have all read multiple articles about this...so can we shred the 1st while we are at it?

This was meant to be more of a provocative statement, which can be easily dismissed, which wouldn't hurt my feelings lol I was just throwing it out there :-)

Careful now, Boys. You're treading in my back yard.

The First Amendment implies that the people as a collective have the right to worship, speak, write, assemble, and complain. However, as I'm sure you have seen, there are plenty of grey areas that are open for interpretation. Enter the Supreme Court.

If the government takes away our First Amendment rights...then it's time to enthusiastically invoke our Second Amendment rights!!

If they can interpret our 2nd amendment rights away...then the 1st can be too

The trouble with interpretation is it can change from generation to generation. What was the intent of the amendment in the first place? Sense the people that wrote it are all gone, now we have to leave their intent to interpretation. Funny how religion and the government was not much of an issue until the sixties.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    If they can interpret our 2nd amendment rights away...then the 1st can be too
    There's no "if' or "then" about it. They've been doing this for years. Are you saying that you are unaware of it?
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Well, in many ways the First Amendment has already had parts interpreted away. There are certain things you cannot say--fire in a crowded theater and threats to the president come to mind. You also seem to need permits and permission for assembly, and you can't worship freely if it involves breaking laws or offending someone else, to an extent.

Some of the restrictions are necessary in order to live in society. If we want civilization, we have to surrender a certain degree of freedom. Some of the restrictions are just fear-based reactions based on ideas and feelings without merit.

No one likes everything about the Constitution, but nearly everyone likes something about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast