Do States Have The Right To Secession & State Sovereignty? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do States Have The Right To Secession & State Sovereignty?

Lets take this a little farther and ask does Puerto Rico have the right to leave the US? It is not a state so secession doesn't really apply in this case. What is keeping them from declaring themselves an independent country besides the fact that they ain't stupid. Remember that a sovereign nation exists only by might and strength so if a state want to leave it will not matter what the Constitution says there will be war. In times of war the Constitution will be suspended whether legal or not.

What's this got to do with me carrying a gun for personal Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by brownie222:210436
    You dont know which section your in do you?

5. Quote Originally Posted by brownie222 View Post
    I think you lost your way. Check the title of this thread.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.
    Bottom line, you only have the right to try . You aren't guaranteed success
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I think the American Civil War decided this one.
    Actually, BC1, the War Between the States (incorrectly called a civil war) proved only that, in a prolonged conflict, an agrarian nation of 11 million people is unlikely to militarily defeat an industrialized nation of 34 million people and, further, that the winner writes the history and makes the rules. Nothing of a legal nature was proven nor was any legal precedent set one way or the other concerning secession.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Texas is somewhat unique on this subject. You can check out this site which gives some info. WARNING this info may not reflect a balanced view and may be somewhat opinionated.
    Texas Secede! FAQ
    And here is part of it:
    "Q: Doesn't the Texas Constitution reserve the right of Texas to secede? [BACK TO TOP]
    A: This heavily popularized bit of Texas folklore finds no corroboration where it counts: No such provision is found in the current Texas Constitution[1] (adopted in 1876) or the terms of annexation.[2] However, it does state (in Article 1, Section 1) that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..." (note that it does not state "...subject to the President of the United States..." or "...subject to the Congress of the United States..." or "...subject to the collective will of one or more of the other States...")"

The Civil War is one of the most misunderstood actions of all of American politics. Don't forget, the Founding Fathers never wanted a Federal form of government, the original union being constructed under the Articles of Confederation, with the central government subservient to the states. The rights of the states was always deemed superior to the central government in their eyes. It wasn't about slaves, it wasn't about North vs South, and it wasn't about urban vs rural. That's why the argument which was fought in the Civil War is still undecided to this day. It is about where the power of government is to be vested, and to what extent we each give up our personal freedoms to that of the government. Big government is eventually a death to freedom and democracy. This present experiment in totalitarian Marxism is the test as to whether American's remain free, or become totally subservient to the state. The Civil War was only the first contest of a longer battle for individual freedom from such subservience.

Save your Dixie cups, the South shall rise again.

Texas Constitution as it read when it was annexed by the United States & declared a State in 1845...
    Constitution of the State of Texas (1845) -- Preamble and Article I

ARTICLE I.

Bill of Rights.

That the general, great, and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established, we declare that

SEC. 1. All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit; and they have at all times the unalienable right to alter, reform, or abolish their form of government, in such manner as they may think expedient.

Texas Secede!

I firmly believe that any of the states have a inherent, fundamental, preexisting right to secede if their citizens deem it reasonable, just and proper...

I further believe that it would only be successful if it was part of a simultaneous act of secession by multiple states, and that the U.S. Military that was sent to force them to Unconstitutionally rejoin the Union at gun point as happened in the so-called Civil War refused to do so...

Because we have more U.S. Military deployed to foreign country's then available at home that would be a huge challenge for a tyrannical federal government to overcome initially; and so much more information is available to us now that it would not be so easy to demonize and oppress states that wished to secede as it was for Lincoln, his propaganda machine and his Constitution tramplers in their day...

With the country going to hell in a hand basket and it appears we are a hair away from following in the footsteps of Greece; I think that martial law and dictatorship will be implemented at the federal level followed by multiple states banding together to secede; out of necessity to defend themselves.

If anybody has any doubt how the fed would respond initially just start googling "Operation Garden Plot" just keep in mind as I said any success by the fed would depend on misleading the American people like Lincoln did during his reign of tyranny...

Ponder this, in the last two years 37 states have had sovereignty initiatives at least introduced in their state legislatures, concern about a overreaching, out of control, tyrannical federal government is very much in the forefront...

Now is a good time to look at joining your local Oath Keepers...
    Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

The Civil War is one of the most misunderstood actions of all of American politics.
    Absolutely correct with this statement. The war was not necessarily about slavery and in fact was just one of many things that evolved into a major difference of opinion and resulted in the ruination of the South. Lets just say it was a war about states rights and the growing control by the federal government with a few states trying to control the rest of the nation (sound familiar). It was a very bad decision by all parties involved that led to the war and should not have happened but did. Slavery was a part of it but without the war slavery would have been abandoned for the most part in no more than 10-15 years and abolished in 20-25. The economics of slavery was not there and the north had discovered it long before.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast