Stupid things cops say!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid things cops say!!

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh13:211219
    I will be really happy when people start talking about the good things "cops", police officers do! No I am not an officer but am very close to several. I know of a few officers that got killed by drunk drivers while directing traffic at night. Was that stupid? Yes on the part of the drunk! How would you like to deal with deaths, 2 suicides in a week and come home in a good mood because you had to witness that or see someone cut in two from a wreck. I know of one officer that saved a lifeless child this week from the training he received but I guess their all stupid. I hope if you ever have to call 911 you get that stupid "cop". Because of your comment I will not be back on this site because I have no tolerence for ignorence. I would advise you to ride with an officer for a day or two to see what they face in a day. Good Luck to you Sir!
    They chose their profession, end of story. Dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

As a former journalist, let me share a few things with you.

Reporters are not trained to write at a fifth grade level. We are trained to write in short, clear statements with a minimum of punctuation and lots of paragraphing. This may equate to a fifth grade level by the time all is said and done.

We are trained to place vital information at the beginning of the story, and place less relevant details towards the end.

We are trained to gather information from a variety of sources when necessary, and to use the information provided from those sources as the foundation of our articles. Quotations are statements from others that must be recorded with care, related exactly, and treated as sacred.

We are trained to never inject our opinions into stories. We are trained to remain neutral at all times, no matter how ridiculous, offensive, or egregious the material is. Just report the facts. Period. Opinions go on the opinion page.

Now, I realize that many of you have had negative experiences with the media, and believe there is some kind of "liberal agenda" going on there. I can only tell you that you need to consider the sources. There may be "news programs" that are sharing information with you that have a hidden agenda, but I assure you, even the large news outlets with long-standing reputations have nothing to gain by being on one side or the other. Their bills are paid by advertisers, not readers.

Journalists, real journalist, take a lot of pride in their work. The majority would never stoop to sully their reputations by being "yellow" or reporting anything slanted or biased.

There is also not an editor looming over anyone, forcing them to write such-and-such, or censoring them. Editors and journalists believe in the First Amendment as strongly as you believe in the Second.

Now, if you choose to get your "news" from people who are no more than actors getting paid to read scripts, than you risk being entertained rather than informed.

It is a journalist's job to get the facts to you, but it's also your job to think about where that news came from, compare it to other pieces of news out there, and finally decide for yourself what is truth.

Sadly, with the death of newspapers, your job will only get harder, as any self-styled reporter off the street can now inundate the Web with random and often incorrect information.

As a former photographer,writer, and editor, I can tell you that reporters are more interested in being the first to break an exciting piece of news, or expose a scandal, or report on something that benefits the public, than they are in promoting some kind of agenda.

Journalists can and do get facts wrong, either because they didn't dig deep enough, or because they relied on their sources to provide information. I myself once reported a story based on a police briefing, only to be called by the grieving widow and told the facts of her husband's death were incorrect. It turns out she was mostly angry and just wanted someone to unload on, but that's part of being a reporter, too.

Journalists may not be perfect, but they try to get it as close as possible. So, as the old saying goes, don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message.

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh13:211219
    I will be really happy when people start talking about the good things "cops", police officers do! No I am not an officer but am very close to several. I know of a few officers that got killed by drunk drivers while directing traffic at night. Was that stupid? Yes on the part of the drunk! How would you like to deal with deaths, 2 suicides in a week and come home in a good mood because you had to witness that or see someone cut in two from a wreck. I know of one officer that saved a lifeless child this week from the training he received but I guess their all stupid. I hope if you ever have to call 911 you get that stupid "cop". Because of your comment I will not be back on this site because I have no tolerence for ignorence. I would advise you to ride with an officer for a day or two to see what they face in a day. Good Luck to you Sir!
    I assume you are quoting me...

1.) Dealing with people gives you no reason to be a jerk. My first job ever, as a cashier, I dealt with more a-holes in a day than as police officer would in a week!
    2.) As a paramedic, I deal with the same people, I deal with more dead people, I deal with more sick kids...and worst of them all...I deal with police...
    3.) I will only call the police to report for legality reasons, not for help, they are too slow for that

There are forums on goods things police officers do, they are just small...guess why?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    They chose their profession, end of story. Dont let the door hit ya on the way out.
    Haha!

6. As far as how large media outlets get paid, they get a lot of their funding from different federal areas. Yes they do gain something for slanting the news. Or they may lose their funding. Look it up. Im not saying all of them do but in fact some do. That my friend is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by depps74 View Post
    As far as how large media outlets get paid, they get a lot of their funding from different federal areas. Yes they do gain something for slanting the news. Or they may lose their funding. Look it up. Im not saying all of them do but in fact some do. That my friend is fact.
    Links to these facts would be helpful.

Not a bash against LE but I was watching COPS one night and the LEO kept shouting "on the ground." The perp was already on the ground. I thouhgt it was pretty funny.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are some good cops out there, I'm certain. Unfortunately, I seem to meet more of the bad ones.

There has been more than one occasion when I have had to tell an officer his approach was aggressive and his attitude inappropriate.

But think about the last time you were in a highly charged, tense scenario, blood pumping, adrenal going. Most of you are probably take-charge kinda guys, problem solvers. Then pair that with a man (typically) who thinks he is the boss, what he says goes, and who has virtual impunity to use deadly force. Now you've got a dangerous animal.

There are officers out there whose goal is to protect and serve, but I suspect there are a few more whose goal is to crack heads and take control.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are some good cops out there, I'm certain. Unfortunately, I seem to meet more of the bad ones.

There has been more than one occasion when I have had to tell an officer his approach was aggressive and his attitude inappropriate.

But think about the last time you were in a highly charged, tense scenario, blood pumping, adrenal going. Most of you are probably take-charge kinda guys, problem solvers. Then pair that with a man (typically) who thinks he is the boss, what he says goes, and who has virtual impunity to use deadly force. Now you've got a dangerous animal.

There are officers out there whose goal is to protect and serve, but I suspect there are a few more whose goal is to crack heads and take control.
    I'm married 29 years. I've become accustomed to not being the boss!
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Cops are people...the same distribution of intellect or stupidity applies.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast