Stupid things cops say!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: Stupid things cops say!!

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I am a little unsure what you are replying to here?
    He probably inhaled a little too much of the fumes from the brasso used to polish his CCW Badge.

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by tuts40:213146
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I disagree. I think you can support this country (or the promise of this country) without supporting laws. Many of the laws are just plain stupid. I don't support those. And I sure as heck don't support any force who supports those laws. Real respect doesn't come at the end of a gun.
    So "illegal aliens" aren't illegal and completely welcome, right. Maybe the laws against treating animals with extreme cruelty, like beating your pets, should be abolished? How about removing the laws against rape, robbery and arson? I know, these are extreme examples but who are you, who am I to decide where the line is drawn? Laws can be a good thing to help shape, generally, a society's behavior. Yet, as we all know and can point out all day long, the idea of law making has gone "bonzo". I agree we could take AT LEAST ONE HALF of the laws off the books and nobody would notice. Law makers in our government should, IMHO, remove one law from the books when a new law is passed. Many laws are needed, many are complete nanny-state power grabbing tools. But again, I'm not qualified to draw lines. That's why the voting booth is so important, look at the attrocity the terrorist president we have now passed with the health care, er, government takover reform laws that are waiting to suck every last dime we don't have out of our economy. Ok, I can think of ONE law that should be temporarily removed, for one hour, while Obamao is shakled to a post in the center of the desert! We could have a lottery as to who gets to shoot, with immunity of course!
    I don't remember him saying anything about illegal aliens, or animal abuse...but if you want to talk about supporting all laws, would you support laws in favor to own slaves? Cause America had those...but all those un-Americans fought them...

    Do you support nazi's, after all they were following their laws...

    If law makers follow the UN, start putting stricter laws on guns, will you follow them? Will you follow all the laws, even if that means all your guns will be gone?

    I don't know who you are, but I know who I am, and I draw my own lines. They normally stay within the lines of society, sometimes they don't. I believe in trying to control my life, maybe you do not feel that way about yours.

  4. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    As a former journalist, let me share a few things with you.

    Reporters are not trained to write at a fifth grade level. We are trained to write in short, clear statements with a minimum of punctuation and lots of paragraphing. This may equate to a fifth grade level by the time all is said and done.

    We are trained to place vital information at the beginning of the story, and place less relevant details towards the end.

    We are trained to gather information from a variety of sources when necessary, and to use the information provided from those sources as the foundation of our articles. Quotations are statements from others that must be recorded with care, related exactly, and treated as sacred.

    We are trained to never inject our opinions into stories. We are trained to remain neutral at all times, no matter how ridiculous, offensive, or egregious the material is. Just report the facts. Period. Opinions go on the opinion page.

    Now, I realize that many of you have had negative experiences with the media, and believe there is some kind of "liberal agenda" going on there. I can only tell you that you need to consider the sources. There may be "news programs" that are sharing information with you that have a hidden agenda, but I assure you, even the large news outlets with long-standing reputations have nothing to gain by being on one side or the other. Their bills are paid by advertisers, not readers.

    Journalists, real journalist, take a lot of pride in their work. The majority would never stoop to sully their reputations by being "yellow" or reporting anything slanted or biased.

    There is also not an editor looming over anyone, forcing them to write such-and-such, or censoring them. Editors and journalists believe in the First Amendment as strongly as you believe in the Second.

    Now, if you choose to get your "news" from people who are no more than actors getting paid to read scripts, than you risk being entertained rather than informed.

    It is a journalist's job to get the facts to you, but it's also your job to think about where that news came from, compare it to other pieces of news out there, and finally decide for yourself what is truth.

    Sadly, with the death of newspapers, your job will only get harder, as any self-styled reporter off the street can now inundate the Web with random and often incorrect information.

    As a former photographer,writer, and editor, I can tell you that reporters are more interested in being the first to break an exciting piece of news, or expose a scandal, or report on something that benefits the public, than they are in promoting some kind of agenda.

    Journalists can and do get facts wrong, either because they didn't dig deep enough, or because they relied on their sources to provide information. I myself once reported a story based on a police briefing, only to be called by the grieving widow and told the facts of her husband's death were incorrect. It turns out she was mostly angry and just wanted someone to unload on, but that's part of being a reporter, too.

    Journalists may not be perfect, but they try to get it as close as possible. So, as the old saying goes, don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message.
    My personal experience with reporters is that they are grossly ignorant about most of the things they write about, not even remotely objective, are cheerleaders for anything they approve of, relentless demonizers of things they disapprove of, and only cover things they don't like when it's too obvious not to cover. Most "journalists" these days wouldn't know objectivity if it ran out of the street and bit them in the leg.
    In other words, your description of "journalism" is a fantasy that "journalists" tell each other to feel good about themselves. Other than that, it was pretty accurate.
    Would that there was any real journalists in the lame stream media, instead of a bunch of left wing cheerleaders.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    My personal experience with reporters is that they are grossly ignorant about most of the things they write about, not even remotely objective, are cheerleaders for anything they approve of, relentless demonizers of things they disapprove of, and only cover things they don't like when it's too obvious not to cover. Most "journalists" these days wouldn't know objectivity if it ran out of the street and bit them in the leg.
    In other words, your description of "journalism" is a fantasy that "journalists" tell each other to feel good about themselves. Other than that, it was pretty accurate.
    Would that there was any real journalists in the lame stream media, instead of a bunch of left wing cheerleaders.
    I'm sorry that's been your personal experience, but that's not the way I was taught, not the way I worked, and not the way I taught my staff and my own journalism students. It's not always easy to be objective and logical in a contentious, emotional world, but it is always worth it.

  6. #45
    Then you would be in an extremely tiny minority.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Keysville Va.
    Posts
    304
    I do believe that the ammount of good Cop's or bad Cop's that anyone has had to deal with in their home town would depend on the size of the town and the Police Department that was in said town.If you came from Big Dip Oregon with a population of 1,532 and a Police Force of 25 Then I am sure that you would run into the so called Bad Cop more often then the Para Medic that work's in say Atlantic City N.J. with a Police Force of over 300. I see you have as your handel Firefighter is this in fact a paid job that you had or is this a volly position that you had.
    You have your right to your opinion even if I think it is wrong.

    As far as reporters go the same can be said for the size of the area that they work for or City that they work in. I had a good friend that worked as a Reporter for the Atlantic City Press many years ago and he reminds me a lot of what Localgirl has said about Reporter's.
    Bill

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill:214360
    I do believe that the ammount of good Cop's or bad Cop's that anyone has had to deal with in their home town would depend on the size of the town and the Police Department that was in said town.If you came from Big Dip Oregon with a population of 1,532 and a Police Force of 25 Then I am sure that you would run into the so called Bad Cop more often then the Para Medic that work's in say Atlantic City N.J. with a Police Force of over 300. I see you have as your handel Firefighter is this in fact a paid job that you had or is this a volly position that you had.
    You have your right to your opinion even if I think it is wrong.

    As far as reporters go the same can be said for the size of the area that they work for or City that they work in. I had a good friend that worked as a Reporter for the Atlantic City Press many years ago and he reminds me a lot of what Localgirl has said about Reporter's.
    Bill
    Paid paramedic, volunteer firefighter. Can not get hired as a firefighter until i get enough money to go back to civil court against a lying state trooper. Beyond my profession, my family had been robbed by a local officer in Portland,which the DA got involved and the officer and his wife are now in trouble. I agree, my life circumstances and experiences will be completely different than others. So my opinion on police won't change until my experiences change.

  9. This stupid statement could have been uttered by our own TPD Officer Kristy Maxwell Allen.

  10. #49
    localgirl is defending journalists but there is one problem with her defense. There are very few journalist left and there is a a big difference between a journalist and a reporter. I quite often hear many of the older journalists bemoaning that fact on radio, TV and read about it. With the development of instant news and investigative reporting the fine art of journalism has been reduced to the 30 second TV report, 5 second sound bite and the more sensational you can make it the better. The dumb question followed by the dumb answer has become the focal point of news and interviews where getting to the truth and facts takes too long. I am not blaming the press for this but rather the public just as much along with the attitude of Americans any more. In the past 30 years I have watched and America has turned from focusing on the positive to the negative.

    Last weekend there were two big sports stories, The British Open and the women's World Cup. As I turned to the sports media (radio, TV, Web) all I heard was discussions on how Mickelson and Johnson LOST The Open and how the US Women LOST the World Cup. The play and effort of the winners wasn't even considered but how the losers stumbled and fell. Constantly on discussions after a big game I hear people calling in to complain about how the team lost rather than anything about the winners. It seems like anymore little credit is ever given to a winner only that they won by the screwups or chokeing by the losing team. This attitude is not restricted to sports but to all walks of life and it has been a combination of both the public and the press.

  11. I think do you want to go to jail ? is the most stupid thing a cop says


    Just Saying

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast