Why Have The Bill Of Rights?

Thread: Why Have The Bill Of Rights?

Why Have The Bill Of Rights?

Well written article on why the Bill Of Rights was written.

http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp...228&TM=35836.8

Very nice article. This presented a view that I had never considered. While the meaning of the amendment has never been in question to me, this might actually convince some people that have had questions on its meaning. Thanks
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Good article. It may help sway those that are just ignorant of the facts. Will Rogers said that "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects".
    Of course nothing will change the minds of the Brady Bunch and their elk. The truth does not matter to people like them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Very well written indeed. Sure wish there is/was a way to get this to our judicial branch.

Arrow USDOJ Interpretation

An Excerpt from http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.pdf

"As developed in the analysis below, we conclude that the Second Amendment secures a personal right of individuals, not a collective right that may only be invoked by a State or a quasi-collective right restricted to those persons who serve in organized militia units. Our conclusion is based on the Amendmentís text, as commonly understood at the time of its adoption and interpreted in light of other provisions of the Constitution and the Amendmentís historical antecedents. Our analysis is limited to determining whether the Amendment secures an individual, collective, or quasi-collective right. We do not consider the substance of that right, including its contours or the nature or type of governmental interests that would justify restrictions on its exercise, and nothing in this memorandum is intended to address or call into question the constitutionality, under the Second Amendment, of any particular limitations on owning, carrying, or using firearms."

You can also find more info on my Plagerization of 2A work thread. I just didn't want to post the same thing twice.:icon_wink:
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

Great article I have copied it and sent it to some of my friends who need to read it instead of just listing to me all the time.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" (George Washington)

thanks for posting. hopefully it will in fact open some minds a bit.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!