ATF changes reality on a whim
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF changes reality on a whim

ATF changes reality on a whim

and declares .223 ammo a pistol caliber so they can make some types illegal ad armor piercing rounds

give them an inch and they'll take a mile

Please provide a link so that we can verify what you are talking about.

I found this, while not from the BATF, this should be considered a reliable source (ammunition manufacturer explaining why they cannot continue with manufacture of some of their ammo) BATF Classifies .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC as Pistol cartridges
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Here is a thread on another forum (that I found in a google search) talking about a guy that was raided by the BATF the day after the ruling.

ATF now declares 223, 6.5 and 6.8 to be pistol ammo, anybody else heard of this??
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

That link doesn't realy explain anything. The GCA-1968 does not regulate the construction of pistol bullets, that was a later piece of legislation, IIRC.

regardless of whether it's legal or not, the ATF has declared a specific kind of .223 ammo to be illegal and are seizing it. The problem is the slippery slope. If they're allowed to do this, they will soon do it for another kind, and another, then our guns will be only good for clubs, because all ammo is illegal

--Proud owner of a Kel-Tec PLR-16 (.223 ammo)
    ATF changes reality on a whim-newest.jpg

Detroit 45 acp Guest
    What???????

Are we talking about the criminal BATFE that has been shipping illegal guns over the border??

11. The law banning "cop killer bullets" was passed in 1986, with the support of the NRA. Possession of such bullets is not illegal. Manufacture for sale to other than military, law enforcement, or for export is illegal. Sale of such bullets is illegal (buying them is not). I cannot recall the US Code section, but it should be easy to find the specifics.

F Troop has a long history of capricious rule making. If they are going to declare .223 ammo to be pistol ammo, I would expect them to next declare SS109 ammo illegal. Perhaps we should stock up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast