Paying your share of the national debt - would you do so IF...?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying your share of the national debt - would you do so IF...?

Paying your share of the national debt - would you do so IF...?

It has been calculated that the individual's share of the national debt is around $40,000. Would you voluntarily participate in a program where you paid your share in montly installments over a period of years?

If so - what sort of thing would you expect from the government in return? The idea is that it's something that would cost the government very little...but would be incredibly valuable to YOU. Here are some ideas I have. Now I'd like to hear yours.

NOTE: OBVIOUSLY FOR SOME OF THESE, THERE WOULD BE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU HAVE DUIS OR ARE OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED, THEN YOU CANNOT GET THE 50-STATE DRIVERS LICENSE ETC. THOSE DETAILS ARE BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THIS DISCUSSION...LOOKING FOR IDEAS THAT ARE STARTING POINTS.

1) Lifetime 50-state drivers license

2) Lifetime 50-state vehicle registration

3) Lifetime 50-state concealed carry permit

4) Lifetime 50-state hunting and fishing license, to include all applicable game tags etc. (Permits for hunting on private land excluded)

5) Annual credit towards purchase of / bidding on property disposed of by GSA and other government agencies.

6) VIP security screening at airports - show your card, move to the front of the line.

I'm very serious about this. If I get enough ideas, I will absolutely make an appointment with my Senator and/or Congressman to present a proposal.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

3. We already are paying our share of the national debt. If congress continues in its current vein, I am certain that they won't have to worry about things much longer, and the peasants will be revolting.
    I don't want anything in return, as that is the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. What I want is respect for the money I have earned and the freedom to make my own choices.
    I would certainly expect the government to stop wasting my money on things like year-long sting operations to arrest Amish farmers for selling milk to people who might take it across state lines and paying farmers to not grow crops.
    I would expect more care to be given to the people who earn the money and pay the taxes and to stop making it impossible for people to make a living or have a business because of ridiculous taxes and regulation.
    There is no way I would voluntarily propose to repay my share, or anyone else's until and unless these people stop wasting my money solely for the privilege of removing my freedoms. They also need to stop living like Lords and start receiving the same benefits as the rest of us. As it currently stands, we are very little better than a communist state where everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Quote Originally Posted by chapinjs View Post
    We already are paying our share of the national debt. If congress continues in its current vein, I am certain that they won't have to worry about things much longer, and the peasants will be revolting.
    I don't want anything in return, as that is the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. What I want is respect for the money I have earned and the freedom to make my own choices.
    I would certainly expect the government to stop wasting my money on things like year-long sting operations to arrest Amish farmers for selling milk to people who might take it across state lines and paying farmers to not grow crops.
    I would expect more care to be given to the people who earn the money and pay the taxes and to stop making it impossible for people to make a living or have a business because of ridiculous taxes and regulation.
    There is no way I would voluntarily propose to repay my share, or anyone else's until and unless these people stop wasting my money solely for the privilege of removing my freedoms. They also need to stop living like Lords and start receiving the same benefits as the rest of us. As it currently stands, we are very little better than a communist state where everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.
    So I'm guessing you don't like my idea...? Duly noted.

Fact is - we're in a big hole. Bigger than anyone wants to talk about. We cannot fix it JUST by cutting spending. We also cannot fix it just by raising taxes (or otherwise increasing revenue). As a nation we have to do both.

Now I agree with chapinjs, in that we have to hold our government accountable. Frivolous spending needs to be cut. (And Amish need to stop being persecuted for milk sales.) But that's not what I'm opening up for discussion here. I'm brainstorming a way for government to increase revenue by VOLUNTARY contribution of some of its citizens, in exchange for services / VIP stuff.
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

5. I 2nd Chapinjs' motion.

6. Aside from that, cut the gov't down to nothing or make the workers of it take a Huge Huge Huge pay and benefit cut. Why should someone like a LEO or Military or even a avg Joe working 56+ hrs a week (multi jobs sometimes) STILL make not even half what those pricks in Govt do. I'm tried of this "hey vote for me to get a raise/bonus and ill do the same for you" imagine in Single Mother Sara and Bachelor David did the same in the private sector?! Omg there be $40 Big Mac meals and $120/hr janitors.
    The criminal Govt sickens me.

7. You are proposing another TAX!

Quote Originally Posted by jethmpsn View Post
    You are proposing another TAX!
    Go to your dictionary. Look up VOLUNTARY.

I would make no additional voluntary contribution to the federal government for anything until they can prove that they can live within their means.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Raising taxes doesn't guarantee an increase in revenue. If you want less of something tax it. The government is addicted to spending. Until you stop the addiction you can't fix the problem. Granted we are all responsible for the hole we are in as we keep re-electing the ones digging it. Volunteering to fork out more money will not stop the red ink until you get to the root. You can't kill a weed by cutting off the top. You have to pull the entire root to kill it.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Being that the Federal Gov't is predicated on negative Debt financing, I don't think we'll ever get out of this hole. Because of this system, rewarding debt while penalizing profits, the whole system will need to changed prior to any recovery in our Country can begin. With that said, until it happens, I just want to know when will they list a BOX on my 1040 so I can claim them as a dependent?????
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast