The Staw poll is over. Now who? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Staw poll is over. Now who?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    Ok, one more time.....the man wants to LEGALIZE HEROIN, among other drugs. This alone, with none of his other freakshow ideas about foreign policy, guarantees he will not be elected as POTUS. And shouldn't be. Common sense.

Any of you willing to state right here on this board that it would be a good thing to legalize heroin?
    I have to ask two questions. Have you ever done in depth research on Amsterdam and it's drug policy and state of their society? And two... is our country truly any better off fighting "the war on drugs"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by plainshunter View Post
    while I agree with your sentiment on personal liberty, isn't that an oversimplified way of looking at it? I mean, there are consequences of using drugs that do affect other people. Liquor is "legal" and in some instances, more than the just the drinker are affected. Way more and sometimes tragically. Do you really think that will be different with drugs, legal or not? I don't. So I don't really think that's a good argument.

Now as far as Ron Paul goes, I'm with the others who like him. He's the only one who sounds like he believes what he's saying. I'm very underwhelmed by most of the crowd, at least of those I've heard. Scratching my head over Bachmann. Newt doesn't have the temperament (but he does have good ideas). Haven't heard enough from Perry. I do like Cain also, but I don't think the GOP will give him a chance. So that leaves Ron, at least at this point.
    Actually, it's a very good argument. We don't punish ALL drinkers for the actions of the irresponsible ones, and neither should we punish ALL recreational drug users for the actions of the irresponsible ones. All drinkers don't become wife-beating alcoholics, and all users of marijuana, meth, cocaine, and heroin don't steal from others to support their habits.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

That's a good point.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results: Scientific American

Why exactly do you think it will be a bad thing? People are going to use no matter what, it's better they have a safe and more sterile way to go about it. One less thing for gangs to profit from, less violence, and a source of tax revenue. Not to mention the various amounts of other products that come from the marijuana plant.
    +1
    I don't smoke or use drugs (other than alcohol and some prescriptions{never at the same time**), but would reference the same study as sFe. Legalize it, tax it, take it out of the alley. The prisons in this country are overflowing with non violent drug offenders while real criminals go free because there's not enough room to house them. Evidence that treatment works better than prison can be found here.
    A majority of prisoners (58%) are serving time for violent crimes.
    Due in part to Proposition 36, which mandates treatment instead of incarceration for some drug felons, the number of prisoners serving time for drug offenses has dropped since 2000.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Actually, not a good point. He doesnt want to legalize drugs. he wants to let the states decide...BIG DIFFERENCE.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Actually, not a good point. He doesnt want to legalize drugs. he wants to let the states decide...BIG DIFFERENCE.
    that is a major difference! +1
    ~ Bill

Ron Paul is to intelligent for most folks to understand. unfortunately, he doesnt do well when he only has 30 seconds to answer a complex question. If people would stop and listen to what he is saying, he may stop being misquoted so much. He doesnt want to legalize drugs or same sex marriage but let the states decide for themselves. He is the only one who can come up with real solutions to our problems. If you want small government or liberty, he is our only choice. Unfortunately, he has been relegated to the "crazy uncle in the room" status. This is because both political parties are scared crap-less of him and his ideas. Both would lose a lot in federal POWER and they cant let that happen. Next time he speaks, listen to his words without preconceived ideas. It is really a shame he wont win and only goes to prove that Americans are not ready to do what needs to be done.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

I think I'll leave all the more "intelligent" people here to argue about this. I just don't have the smarts.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Bravo, that is indeed what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    I think I'll leave all the more "intelligent" people here to argue about this. I just don't have the smarts.
    Lol, you have been outwitted by us keyboard warriors.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast