The Staw poll is over. Now who? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Staw poll is over. Now who?

Hello! It's illegal now and everything you say will be the negative repercussions of legalization is already happening. What difference will legalization make? None, except to recognize that drug use and possession is not something a person should get arrested for.

While technically states have this right under the Tenth Amendment to decide this, in my opinion states are no more entitled to infringe upon individual liberty than the federal government is. Remember the Supreme Court decision Lawrence v. Texas (I believe it was from 2003) in which the Court struck down Texas's sodomy law? Again, technically, while the Constitution is silent on sodomy (which makes it a state issue by default), the government(whether state, federal, or local) has no business telling consenting adults what they can or cannot do in the privacy of their bedrooms. And, just as I've said repeatesly before, how exactly do Texans benefit when the police arrest two people engaged in this behavior in the privacy of their bedrooms? Zero! It just makes criminals of people who haven't harmed anyone.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Hello! It's illegal now and everything you say will be the negative repercussions of legalization is already happening. What difference will legalization make? None, except to recognize that drug use and possession is not something a person should get arrested for.
    . . . .
    Zero! It just makes criminals of people who haven't harmed anyone.
    Furthermore, in no instance does the law or statute prevent the crime. Missouri passed legislation making it illegal for teacher to "friend" student on social media sites like Facebook under the guise of "preventing inappropriate relations between the two parties". Some instances of this have been occurring since the dawn of time, and no law is going to prevent it. Those people who already know and believe one shouldn't engage in inappropriate activity, don't. Don't criminalize the general population for the acts of a few. I don't know who it was that said, "You can't legislate morality."
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

While technically states have this right under the Tenth Amendment to decide this, in my opinion states are no more entitled to infringe upon individual liberty than the federal government is. Remember the Supreme Court decision Lawrence v. Texas (I believe it was from 2003) in which the Court struck down Texas's sodomy law? Again, technically, while the Constitution is silent on sodomy (which makes it a state issue by default), the government(whether state, federal, or local) has no business telling consenting adults what they can or cannot do in the privacy of their bedrooms. And, just as I've said repeatesly before, how exactly do Texans benefit when the police arrest two people engaged in this behavior in the privacy of their bedrooms? Zero! It just makes criminals of people who haven't harmed anyone.
    But we can't compare sodomy to meth and crack. Sodomy is not an addictive issue that statistically has been shown by the U.S. Department of justice to raise the potential for criminal activities or burden the social services of America. Supporting data is abundant... not just drug arrests, but arrests for child neglect, theft and associated violence, A tweeker will do what he must for the next hit on the pipe. He has lost the ability to control the addiction and it takes over his life. Much different than, say, marijuana, which I have no problem with legalizing. It's already the biggest cash-crop in America anyway.

Most imprtantly, I don't want a tweeker or crackhead behind me in traffic or exercising his constitutional rights to bear arms when his judgement is so significantly impaired that he can't work or maintain a social, economic or socio-economic standard. Conceptually this is insane thinking to suggest he is still a contributing, safe member of society.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    But we can't compare sodomy to meth and crack. Sodomy is not an addictive issue that statistically has been shown by the U.S. Department of justice to raise the potential for criminal activities or burden the social services of America. Supporting data is abundant... not just drug arrests, but arrests for child neglect, theft and associated violence, A tweeker will do what he must for the next hit on the pipe. He has lost the ability to control the addiction and it takes over his life. Much different than, say, marijuana, which I have no problem with legalizing. It's already the biggest cash-crop in America anyway.

Most imprtantly, I don't want a tweeker or crackhead behind me in traffic or exercising his constitutional rights to bear arms when his judgement is so significantly impaired that he can't work or maintain a social, economic or socio-economic standard. Conceptually this is insane thinking to suggest he is still a contributing, safe member of society.
    So EVERY single user of crack, meth, and heroin steals to support their habit and neglects their kids? And for users who don't do those things, why should they be arrested? Who are they hurting?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post

What makes you think there isn't already tweekers & crackheads behind you in traffic and exercising his right to bear arms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by saintjerome View Post
    Sorry those are facts. Not bs.
    I shot a guy once. That make me a murderer? Can you tell if I am a murderer or not without an explaination OF THE FACTS OF THE SITUATION?
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

So EVERY single user of crack, meth, and heroin steals to support their habit and neglects their kids? And for users who don't do those things, why should they be arrested? Who are they hurting?
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    What makes you think there isn't already tweekers & crackheads behind you in traffic and exercising his right to bear arms?
    I understand the position but the experts pretty much agree on the addiction side. Very hard to use and not get addicted to those drugs. Your points are well taken. I suppose it's just as bad to have an alcoholic behind you in traffic and there are probably addicted drug users out there that have a CCW. It's just the addictive nature of those two drugs drives more users to self-destruct than any other substance, including heroin and pain-pill addiction.

I recently watched a documentary on cocaine and meth addiction that was pretty good. The drugs cause users to exhaust their levels of Serotonin in the brain. Chronic use depletes the Serotonin stores and reduces the sensitivity of brain receptors to it. The long-term affects of this lead to an inability to maintain proper state of mind and mood. Loss of serotonin is the most common cause of depression. Drugs like crack and cocaine raise blood pressure and stimulate the electrical system of the heart. This leads to enlarged heart (usually left ventricle) and changes in cardiac electro-physiology. Later in life users of these drugs are prone to heart failure, atrial or ventricular fibrillation. Afib causes blood clots and is the most common cause of stroke while vfib can cause instant death. These patients demonstrate early need for implantable pacemakers and defibrillators. Drug addiction has a direct relationship to increased medical costs and since it is recognized as a valid disability there is a direct relationship to increased demands on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

However, in all fairness to your opinion, cigarettes are the only consumer product that, when used exactly as intended, will result in death.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

9. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    ~snip~ Refusing to vote because you don't like any GOP candiate reduces the GOP lead over Obama by one vote. ~snip~.
    That's the plan..

Who said I wasn't going to vote, anyway?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456