American Humor - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Humor

I'm just pointing out that respect for religious actions has nothing to do with patriotism or nationalism. The country was founded on the ideals of freedom and respect, and those are not exclusive to any particular religion or denomination.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under GOD.'
    I think this needs to be re-written:
    You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
    It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under GOD,' but you respect those who might be.
    And I've burned a bunch of American flags, but at a retirement ceremony, not a protest. OTOH, I did serve in the Army protecting the rights of those who wish to burn a flag in protest. I think that makes me a True American; I respect and defend the beliefs of those who believe differently from me.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Bob: I am not offended by the phrase "one nation under God." No, actually, I do not respect those who do not respect that. For far too long a rabid few have tried to dictate to the majority what we can or can not do or say. If you don't like it, get over it. We started out as a nation dedicated to God. There are those now who deny the existence of God and and have done everything they possibly can to prohibit even the mention of His name. We are a Judeo-Christian nation, not a Muslim nation nor any other tree hugging or animal hugging nation. I am glad you served in the military as have many of us on here. Having been military for all of my adult life, I become extremely irate when I see our freedoms being taken away and by people who should know better. I'm not sure I know what your definition of freedom and patriotism is but, if that email I posted sets you off like this, I feel you need some serious counseling. As the cartoon rooster, Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "It's a joke son."

Let me point out from the get-go that I am Christian by faith and baptism, and Nazarene by denomination.

I missed the part in the Declaration of Independence where it mentions being a Judeo-Christian nation. It mentions a Creator who endowed all men with certain inalienable rights (although it took us a few years and a few hundred thousand dead to get that properly clarified). But there's nothing there about having to be Judeo-Christian in your beliefs to be a citizen or hold an office. In fact, Article 6 of the Constitution specifically states "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States," and that hasn't been repealed that I've read.

What do you think "Judeo-Christian nation" means? Way too many people spout off "We're a Christian nation" without really understanding what it means, or being able to say what it means to them. What does it mean to you?
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Old Grunt,
    I only have a few words for you.

SEMPER FI, thats a true american one who fought and served for our great nation......

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Let me point out from the get-go that I am Christian by faith and baptism, and Nazarene by denomination.

I missed the part in the Declaration of Independence where it mentions being a Judeo-Christian nation. It mentions a Creator who endowed all men with certain inalienable rights (although it took us a few years and a few hundred thousand dead to get that properly clarified). But there's nothing there about having to be Judeo-Christian in your beliefs to be a citizen or hold an office. In fact, Article 6 of the Constitution specifically states "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States," and that hasn't been repealed that I've read.
    I'm sure the OP was only trying to post a funny. "It's a joke son." - Foghorn Leghorn

I do however believe that the above quote to be the true and correct interpretation of the constitution. Jefferson, in his writings leaned more towards a secular state. I find it funny that there are still State constitutions that indicate one must believe in god to serve on a jury or hold public office.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

What do you think "Judeo-Christian nation" means? Way too many people spout off "We're a Christian nation" without really understanding what it means, or being able to say what it means to them. What does it mean to you?
    Bob, old son, it seems like you just can't let it go so I will make one last entry on the subject. "Judeo-Christian tradition" is the body of concepts and values held in common by Christianity and Judaism.
    Christianity emerged from Judaism. There are common shared scriptures and fundamental doctrines such as monotheism, the belief in a Messiah and that the idea of worship here is patterned after worship in heaven. Jews and Christian share many sacred texts and ethical standards and generally hold that Christian and Jews worship the same God. That is the answer in a nutshell. If you have a different definition then, by all means, use your definition. You are right in that it is not specifically mentioned in the Constitution however you can not deny that we do have that tradition. Also, there is no religious test for holding office in this country. I don't remember any inferrence to it being so. I didn't think we would have to start into eschatalogy over American humor. Anyway, you have a good day now, ya' heah?

I did serve in the Army protecting the rights of those who wish to burn a flag in protest. I think that makes me a True American; I respect and defend the beliefs of those who believe differently from me.
    Honestly, this offends me. This statement implies that one must have served in one of the various branches of the military to be a TRUE AMERICAN which leaves me, and many people I know, out. I did not serve in the military, but am still a true American.

By the way, I am not an immigrant to this country. I was born here, therefore this makes me a native, just as much as those who speak Navajo, Apache, or other such languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecduc8r_NH View Post
    Honestly, this offends me. This statement implies that one must have served in one of the various branches of the military to be a TRUE AMERICAN which leaves me, and many people I know, out. I did not serve in the military, but am still a true American.

By the way, I am not an immigrant to this country. I was born here, therefore this makes me a native, just as much as those who speak Navajo, Apache, or other such languages.
    Well said!
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening."

Okay. I'm a devout Atheist. I don't see anywhere where Congress is given authority to add or subtract words to any work of literature, such as "under god" to the "Pledge of Allegiance". I do see where government is prohibitted from establishing a religion, which it violates with any explicitly religious displays on government property. As an Atheist, I do not celebrate religious festivals, such as Christmas, so I fail to see the point in referring to it as anything other than "The Holidays" genericly, to be inclusive of Hannukha, the Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, etc. Likewise, I do not believe in prayer, so to make myself appear to be partaking of same would be for me to make myself a liar. If you want to pray, pray, just don't expect me to join in.

But then, I guess... I'm not a real American to some... Guess that means I can have my rights trampled on with impunity if I associated with some of you.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

We won't expect you to join in.....but don't expect us to not pray.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast