American Humor - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: American Humor

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    No, because you just come off as an elitist prick. You're no better than anybody else in here, so hop off your throne and try to act civilized.
    Funny. I thought the elitists were the ones setting the definition for who is and who is not one of the chosen, the special, the elite. A thread predicated on who is and who is NOT a "real" America would fit that bill far, far more efficiently than anything I have said. I never claimed to be "better" than anyone else here. In fact, it was a point of taking one of the points mentioned in the original list and running with it, showing just how much of a "real" American a devout Atheist is also.

I don't put myself above anyone, but neither do I allow others to put me under themselves by threatening me with torment in their own idea of an afterlife, claiming that I'm a lesser being than them, that I must be sad, that my life must be lacking because I don't believe in their imaginary friend. Attempting to put someone down like that, especially if it is then claimed it's some form of proselytizing intended to raise them up, that is the antithesis of what a "real" American is. That is elitism.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Old grunt- Thanks for your post and attempt at humor. Obviously it wasn't received well. For the record, I am a Christ follower. But believing in God doesn't make someone an American. Going to church doesn't make someone a Christian. Telling someone who doesn't believe in God that they will likely burn in hell doesn't help. And starting a conversation with a spiritual undertone on a public forum will always get mixed responses. Don't be naive.

Apparentely a moderator has to review my post to CathyInBlue before it shows up. But I posted a similar message 3 times now. My apologies, I guess I just really want to talk to you.
    [Dear moderator- if you actually are reviewing this, I'd appreciate if you only post my comments once. Thank you.]

Old Grunt "IF YOU DON'T LIKE SCARY ANSWERS...... CEASE ASKING SCARY QUESTIONS!"

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    "You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening."

Okay. I'm a devout Atheist. I don't see anywhere where Congress is given authority to add or subtract words to any work of literature, such as "under god" to the "Pledge of Allegiance". I do see where government is prohibitted from establishing a religion, which it violates with any explicitly religious displays on government property. As an Atheist, I do not celebrate religious festivals, such as Christmas, so I fail to see the point in referring to it as anything other than "The Holidays" genericly, to be inclusive of Hannukha, the Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, etc. Likewise, I do not believe in prayer, so to make myself appear to be partaking of same would be for me to make myself a liar. If you want to pray, pray, just don't expect me to join in.

But then, I guess... I'm not a real American to some... Guess that means I can have my rights trampled on with impunity if I associated with some of you.
    The First Amendment says:
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;....."

There is nothing that speaks to separation of church and state or that any display of religion cannot occur on any governmental grounds or activities. The Supreme Court has added that in their reckless changes to the Constitution.

That amendment was added in response to the English being required to belong to the Church of England. Nowhere has anyone tried to establish a state sponsored religion in the US, but the aforementioned Supreme Court has gone far in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    There is nothing that speaks to separation of church and state or that any display of religion cannot occur on any governmental grounds or activities. The Supreme Court has added that in their reckless changes to the Constitution.
    Did I say separation of church and state? No. I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Did I say separation of church and state? No. I didn't.
    You said this: I do see where government is prohibitted from establishing a religion, which it violates with any explicitly religious displays on government property.

If you don't advocate separation of Church and State, then you should have no problem with religious displays on government property.

Quote Originally Posted by rob929 View Post
    Old grunt- Thanks for your post and attempt at humor. Obviously it wasn't received well. For the record, I am a Christ follower. But believing in God doesn't make someone an American. Going to church doesn't make someone a Christian. Telling someone who doesn't believe in God that they will likely burn in hell doesn't help. And starting a conversation with a spiritual undertone on a public forum will always get mixed responses. Don't be naive.
    Old son, I am anything but naive. What started out as strictly Jeff Foxworthy type humor took on a life of it's own and blossomed into a great many wild tangents. It was never meant to be about religion and, by the way, I did not threaten anyone with hell. I didn't start a thread with spiritual overtones, that was started by others who just had to take humor to a different plane. I don't try to give religious instructions to anyone. Their religion, or lack thereof,is their problem and one that I did not put up for discussion. One thing I have learned on here is, if you throw something out, someone will comment on it, one way or another. So, unless you want to get shot at, don't put anything out on a thread. If you don't have a sense of humor or don't understand what has been said, don't say anything. Now, isn't that simple? Maybe we should all take a cleansing enema so there will be a clear shot from our brains to the orifice from which we speak. CathyInBlue, I meant no disrespect to you and wish the clamor hadn't started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    You said this: I do see where government is prohibitted from establishing a religion, which it violates with any explicitly religious displays on government property.

If you don't advocate separation of Church and State, then you should have no problem with religious displays on government property.
    I have a problem with not following the letter of the Constitution, which prohibits government from establishing any religion, which having an overtly religious display on government property does. I'm sorry if you can't understand this.

You're really getting tedious and boring. Feel free to take your crusade elsewhere.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast