Voting Rights - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Voting Rights

Not sure I agree with allowing the recipient class to vote. They will only vote for whoever will hand them more largess from the tax payers coffers. IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Homeowners? How many people in the U.S. actually own there homes? By far most supposed "Homeowners" are living in homes that are in fact owned by a bank or credit union to whom they pay monthly mortgage "rent" to live there. As many people have found out in the last few years, even paying extra principal payments to try to pay off a mortgage faster does not result in any benefit with the bank when one is no longer able to make payments. Just because one is a renter should not preclude them from voting. Those on "The Dole" however are another matter.

The root word of mortgage is "mort" as in "until death".
    Almost - Origin:

late Middle English: from Old French, literally 'dead pledge', from mort (from Latin mortuus 'dead') + gage 'pledge' So called because the mortgage extends past the life of the borrower, until the debt is paid.
    IIRC voting was not just homeowners, it was limited to people on the tax roles, due to the very intelligent notion that steering the boat should be limited to those rowing the boat. Felons should not be able to vote, as voting is a right given to those who are not given to acting "as wolves to their fellow man." I totally agree to both propositions
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Homeowners? How many people in the U.S. actually own there homes? By far most supposed "Homeowners" are living in homes that are in fact owned by a bank or credit union to whom they pay monthly mortgage "rent" to live there. As many people have found out in the last few years, even paying extra principal payments to try to pay off a mortgage faster does not result in any benefit with the bank when one is no longer able to make payments. Just because one is a renter should not preclude them from voting. Those on "The Dole" however are another matter.

The root word of mortgage is "mort" as in "until death".
    An easy way to find out if you really own your home/property is to not pay the taxes on it.
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

@Tatted:
    Hey, if you don't mind America becoming Zimbabwe, leave the Free $#!& Brigades as the largest storehouse for votes for politicians to pander to. I'm not saying you can't. All I'm doing is giving a modest proposal for how to NOT allow America to become Zimbabwe.

@buddy:
    Much evil has crept into American jurisprudence due to issues of indirect versus direct effects of government actions. The Commerce Clause is all but rendered toothless to limit federal action because it is read to allow the federal government to regulate things based on the most tenuous of indirect effects upon interstate commerce. Witness the public legal debates over the "individual mandate" in ObamaCare.

I would, if I so had the power, rewrite the social contract to require all government actions to bear direct relation to the thing over which they are given authority to regulate. And, as is often mentioned, "we are the government", which means if the tax or regulation does not directly affect you, then no, you should not have a say in how that regulation is crafted. If you don't have children in the school district's schools, you should have no say in the regulation of the schools. If you do not own property subject to taxes, then you should have no say in the level of said taxation or what those taxes are used for.

All else is pandering to the likes of Obama and others who are all about "redistributing the wealth" and I do not cleave to that.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    @Tatted:
    Hey, if you don't mind America becoming Zimbabwe, leave the Free $#!& Brigades as the largest storehouse for votes for politicians to pander to. I'm not saying you can't. All I'm doing is giving a modest proposal for how to NOT allow America to become Zimbabwe.

@buddy:
    Much evil has crept into American jurisprudence due to issues of indirect versus direct effects of government actions. The Commerce Clause is all but rendered toothless to limit federal action because it is read to allow the federal government to regulate things based on the most tenuous of indirect effects upon interstate commerce. Witness the public legal debates over the "individual mandate" in ObamaCare.

I would, if I so had the power, rewrite the social contract to require all government actions to bear direct relation to the thing over which they are given authority to regulate. And, as is often mentioned, "we are the government", which means if the tax or regulation does not directly affect you, then no, you should not have a say in how that regulation is crafted. If you don't have children in the school district's schools, you should have no say in the regulation of the schools. If you do not own property subject to taxes, then you should have no say in the level of said taxation or what those taxes are used for.

All else is pandering to the likes of Obama and others who are all about "redistributing the wealth" and I do not cleave to that.
    Wow, I guess we will have to agree to disagree, since I think renters who have kids in local schools paid for in part by their rent payments should actually have a say in how that money is spent on their kids schools. And all this time i was just pandering to obama!

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    Oxygen thieves
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

If your renters want a say in how money is spent on their kids' schools, then they need to be the ones paying that money to the school, not to you for rent which you then use in part to pay the property taxes on the rental property, which is then used in part to fund their kids schools. That's direct interaction versus indirect interaction.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    If your renters want a say in how money is spent on their kids' schools, then they need to be the ones paying that money to the school, not to you for rent which you then use in part to pay the property taxes on the rental property, which is then used in part to fund their kids schools. That's direct interaction versus indirect interaction.
    If you are advocating "pay as you go" schools, I don't disagree. But it is not happening in the real world anytime soon.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345