According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.

Thanks Gunny! - If you haven't been told lately, we appreciate your and ALL the vets service!
    If I ever meet you in person, I would gladly shake your hand and buy you a beverage!

Psalm 82:3-5

First off- thanks for your service Gunny. I was in high school when Siagon fell. My best friend is a Vietnam vet. Has 2 purple hearts and a Distinguished Service Medal and some shrapnel in his leg to show for it. Is he a hero? Damn straight. ANYONE who goes into the service and therefore into harms way is a hero. The NYT has morphed into a worthless rag not worth the newsprint it comes out on. I'll bet they think that our community organizer in chief is a hero. What the elites think and what the people know are two totally different animals. If I had a copy of the NYT in the house now, I'd use it as toilet paper.
    MR
    Last edited by Mosbyranger; 08-22-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Heya... William Deroga-whatever. Com'ere. Closer. Closer. I wanna tell you something in confidence.

/me ****-punches William Deresiewicz.

There, now. That's not pleasant, is it? Hurts like hell, doesn't it? It would have been nice to have someone around who could have stepped in and stopped that from happening, wouldn't it?

Well there are about a half a billion screaming Islamofacists out there who would love nothing else than to strap on a bomb vest, come over here, and spread themselves all over your Cheerios tomorrow morning, but you won't be caring about that, because you'll be spread all over your wife's corn flakes. That would be a whole lot worse than a sucker punch to the wedding tackle, wouldn't it?

Well America's fighting men and women in uniform are the people who are out there making sure that those bad men do not get the chance to do their violence upon you. So rather than pissing and moaning about the cult of the uniform, maybe it would be better if you just said a little prayer of your own at that alter and then quietly went the f&^% away.

/me ****-punches William Deresiewicz one more time for good measure.
    Well, you can't say that NYT doesn't do their part to hire the handicapped. William Deresiewicz is as big a retard as you are likely to find. If only NY state would throw a fence around NYC and keep it as a preserve for the Galactically Stupid that escape from the lunatic asylums of Chicago, San Francisco, LA, and Washington D.C.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    There are "heroes" and there are not, they come in many sizes and uniforms. I'm just thankful they are generally treated better than the Viet Vets were (for years!). Sure as hell no one ever thanked ME for my service!

On the other hand, if the "terrorist threat' ever gets minimized to a "comfort level", it will be as always:

"Oh it's 'Tommy this!'
    and 'Tommy that!'
    and 'Throw him out, the brute!'
    But he's the Nation's hero
    when the guns begin to shoot."

(R. Kipling)

GG
    Right On, brother! I'm 3rd gen Navy and 2 out of 5 brothers served in the Navy. but military service goes through all the big wars to a lineal lots of greats-grandfather who rode with "Light Horse" Harry Lee (Robert E. Lee's grandfather) in the Revolutionary war. I worked for the VA for 14 years, so I'm d*** proud of our men and women in uniform and it really torques my jaw when I hear of this kind of doggrel coming from slack wits like William Deresiewicz. I'd like to see him try on a uniform and protect this country, instead of denigrating the men and women that provide the freedom for him to "be less than he can be."

Sorry, Rant Off
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    There are "heroes" and there are not, they come in many sizes and uniforms. I'm just thankful they are generally treated better than the Viet Vets were (for years!). Sure as hell no one ever thanked ME for my service!

On the other hand, if the "terrorist threat' ever gets minimized to a "comfort level", it will be as always:

"Oh it's 'Tommy this!'
    and 'Tommy that!'
    and 'Throw him out, the brute!'
    But he's the Nation's hero
    when the guns begin to shoot."

(R. Kipling)

GG
    Thanks, Gunny. And you ARE a hero for your service, and for putting up with all of the Jane Fondas of the Country when you returned.
    Charlie

I dont care what anyone says, If you down an Military Uniform, you are an hero. Serving your country is an great honor, and all should be treated as such.If this country adapts this Attitude that they are not heros, then all Veterans who fought, and served did so in vain.

Our vary way of life was built on everyday Citizens wearing that uniform.It really pisses me off, that anyone would think other wise. There was a thread the other day about being an True American, and some of the responces offended me.to be an True American

Is one who fought, and served our great Nation, and ultimiately gave the greatest sacrifice their life. Those are true americans, and heros

WOW! Thanks for the words of encouragement and thanks for my (OUR) service. Good to know that there are many that would still put Country above self interest. (Seems to be a diminishing breed, I must, sadly, observe.)

As long as there exist those who would take such a stand in support of our troops, then the sacrifices of all those who have gone before me and have followed after will not have been in vain.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

That Vietnam vet that spit in jane fonda's face several years ago at a book signing - now that guy is a hero. I would like to shake his hand and buy him a beer.
    Attached Images Attached Images According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.-jane_fonda_sitting_at_gun1.jpg According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.-jane-fonda-vietnam.jpg 
    Last edited by fudo; 08-23-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: got a bigger pic, couldn't delete the little one

I served three years as an MP in the 80s. I wasn't a hero, and I refuse the the title. I felt a call to serve, and I did. Nothing particularly heroic about standing at a gate, watching grass grow and rabbits hump.

The payroll clerks are not on the same level as the guys in the wall or in the bush. If they were, we wouldn't have all the Ranger and MoH wannabes.

Without reading the article, I tend to agree with the premise. The word is overused and almost trivial now.

Perhaps no word in public life of late has been more thoroughly debased by overuse. Soldiers are “heroes”; firefighters are “heroes”; police officers are “heroes” — all of them, not the special few who undoubtedly deserve the term. So unthinking has the platitude become that someone referred to national park rangers on public radio recently as “heroes” — reflexively, in passing — presumably since they wear uniforms, as well."

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/op...#ixzz1W2YdqqVx
    It takes a special kind of person to put on a uniform. Whether it be a fireman, police officer, soldier or even a park ranger. Many of these folks do it in the full knowledge that at some point they will be called on to risk life and limb in the service of their fellow man.

Granted that not every one of them will have that moment, but the fact that they put on the uniform every day knowing that it could happen is a testament to their courage. I've been a volunteer fireman and I can tell you that everytime the alarm sounds, you make up your mind that you will do what needs to be done - every call could be the one that ends your career or your life. To walk knowingly into that makes a person a hero in my eyes.

Sure there are some that will disgrace themselves and their fellows - show me a group anywhere in life that this isn't true - does that lessen the value of everyone else... not only NO but HELL NO !!

The NYT article is nothing short of complete disrepect for anyone that has the courage to take responsibility for themselves and the people around them !! There was a time I respected the NYT as a news source... now.. I can barely bring myself to use it to line the bottom of my cat's litter box. but that's just me..

and To Gunny and all the men and women in uniform, everywhere THANK YOU !
    Last edited by BruceGAtl; 08-25-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: fixed typos
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast