According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.

Angry According to the NYT, our soldiers aren't heros.

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I agree somewhat with the essay. Would you call officer harliss a hero?

Soldiers, police, firefighters, anyone, has the opportunity to be heroes. I respect our soldiers a lot more than many other uniforms, but I do realize not all get the opportunity to be heroes.

The word "hero" is pretty subjective, I suppose.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."

Heya... William Deroga-whatever. Com'ere. Closer. Closer. I wanna tell you something in confidence.

/me ****-punches William Deresiewicz.

There, now. That's not pleasant, is it? Hurts like hell, doesn't it? It would have been nice to have someone around who could have stepped in and stopped that from happening, wouldn't it?

Well there are about a half a billion screaming Islamofacists out there who would love nothing else than to strap on a bomb vest, come over here, and spread themselves all over your Cheerios tomorrow morning, but you won't be caring about that, because you'll be spread all over your wife's corn flakes. That would be a whole lot worse than a sucker punch to the wedding tackle, wouldn't it?

Well America's fighting men and women in uniform are the people who are out there making sure that those bad men do not get the chance to do their violence upon you. So rather than pissing and moaning about the cult of the uniform, maybe it would be better if you just said a little prayer of your own at that alter and then quietly went the f&^% away.

/me ****-punches William Deresiewicz one more time for good measure.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

I am glad we live in America where people do have a right to share their views. And I suppose the term "hero" may be overused in many cases. But, to me, those men and women deserve the right to be called heroes. There is no draft. They didn't have to step up, but they have and continue to do so.
    My nephew and my son will always be heroes for making the decision to step up!

Other than that, if the NYT burned down tonight, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Psalm 82:3-5

There are "heroes" and there are not, they come in many sizes and uniforms. I'm just thankful they are generally treated better than the Viet Vets were (for years!). Sure as hell no one ever thanked ME for my service!

On the other hand, if the "terrorist threat' ever gets minimized to a "comfort level", it will be as always:

"Oh it's 'Tommy this!'
    and 'Tommy that!'
    and 'Throw him out, the brute!'
    But he's the Nation's hero
    when the guns begin to shoot."

(R. Kipling)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    There are "heroes" and there are not, they come in many sizes and uniforms. I'm just thankful they are generally treated better than the Viet Vets were (for years!). Sure as hell no one ever thanked ME for my service!

On the other hand, if the "terrorist threat' ever gets minimized to a "comfort level", it will be as always:

"Oh it's 'Tommy this!'
    and 'Tommy that!'

(R. Kipling)

GG
    Thanks for your service Gunny! I mean that with all my heart.

And from me and my family.....thank you for your service too. We thanked those that we know of (and that includes you now...) because many of the pilot members of our flying club are also old vets. And boy! do they have stories to tell!!! I love them all. In our upcoming convention, we are going to honor the homeless vets as one of the fundraising activities I am planning to have, amongst other things. Work tirelessly, expect nothing in return.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

"Oh it's 'Tommy this!'
    and 'Tommy that!'

Thank you, Sir, for your service, and for your continued dedication to your country, and most of all for your words of wisdom.
    (R. Kipling)

GG
    Thank you, Sir, for your service, and for your continued dedication to your country, and most of all for your words of wisdom.

Thanks Gunny.
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast