Names for groups of animals

Thread: Names for groups of animals

Names for groups of animals

A Herd of cows, a Flock of chickens...

The English language has some wonderfully anthropomorphic collective nouns for the various groups of animals.

We are all familiar with a Herd of cows, a Flock of chickens, a School of fish and a Gaggle of geese.

However, less widely known is a Pride of lions, a Murder of crows (as well as their cousins the rooks and ravens), an Exaltation of doves and, presumably because they look so wise, a Parliament of owls.

Now consider a group of Baboons. They are the loudest, most dangerous, most obnoxious, most viciously aggressive and least intelligent of all primates. And what is the proper collective noun for a group of baboons?

Believe it or not ........ a Congress!

I guess that pretty much explains the things that come out of Washington!
    Charlie

Is the opposite of progress, congress?

Politicians are like dirty diapers; they require frequent changing, and for the same reason.

Politician = "poli" from the Latin word for many, and "tic"k meaning blood sucking parasite.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Is the opposite of progress, congress?
    Politicians are like dirty diapers; they require frequent changing, and for the same reason.

Politician = "poli" from the Latin word for many, and "tic"k meaning blood sucking parasite.
    Makes sense to me.
    Charlie

Humans are a family. AWWW!!! LOL!

A group of Ravens is actually known as an Unkindness. But I agree with the comparison between baboons and our elected officials!