American Community Survey came to the house

Thread: American Community Survey came to the house

American Community Survey came to the house

I got a copy of the American Community Survey at the house the other day. If you are not familiar with this, it is a very detailed questionnaire from the census bureau. It was sent to 250,000 households to gather information. The questions are probing and detailed and relate to everything from income and taxes to personal interests and family members. Needless to say, volunteering this information to a government agency is not on my list of things to do, but the form makes it clear that you are in violation of the law if you do not return it. So I tore it up and threw it away and I expect that they will "follow up" with additional threatening calls, mailings, and eventual visits.
    Has anyone else experienced this? How relentless have they been. I am convinced that if people are willing to turn over this information voluntarily to the Feds then the Republic is finished. There is no reason they could possibly use this data for anything other than wealth redistribution and confiscation. I love being in non-compliance
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Shreeder worked for me I do not give any information out period.

Plead the 5th. I respectfully decline to answer the questions based on my 5th amendment right against self incrimination. Then mail it back. After all it was only illegal if you did not return it.

"Get off my lawn." - Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino

Did not complete the census. They sent someone to the home. Told him I completed it and get off my property. The gate is closed for a reason.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Shreeder[sic] worked for me I do not give any information out period.
    Yes, shred it and then comply with their request to return it....shredded.
    Charlie

Back durring the 2000 Census, I was sent the "long-form". I downloaded a copy of the "short-form", filled it out and sent it in, I also retained a copy for my records. Never heard back from anyone.

I filled out the 2010 form with only the required information. Number of people in the home and number of people in the home under the age of 18... I decided they did not need to know who may be paying my mortgage. They kept calling, I made it clear that the information provided was adequate. They told me the form was incomplete...

They sent a person to the door. I answered it in the usual fashion with firearm on hip. The woman looked at me and at the firearm introduced herself and asked me if it was safe to come inside so that the census form could be completed. I said the form had been completed to my liking, and that it was indeed not safe to attempt to enter my home without my permission. She left and that was the end of it..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I filled out the 2010 form with only the required information. Number of people in the home and number of people in the home under the age of 18... I decided they did not need to know who may be paying my mortgage. They kept calling, I made it clear that the information provided was adequate. They told me the form was incomplete...

They sent a person to the door. I answered it in the usual fashion with firearm on hip. The woman looked at me and at the firearm introduced herself and asked me if it was safe to come inside so that the census form could be completed. I said the form had been completed to my liking, and that it was indeed not safe to attempt to enter my home without my permission. She left and that was the end of it..
    HA! I got the same thing. I sent the form back without being filled out, so they sent someone. Like you, I answer the door with a 1911 on my hip. The black guy they sent asked the very same question - "Is it safe for me to come inside so we can complete the form?". I said, "You see the curb at the end of my driveway? THAT is where it's safe for you to be. I recommend that you retreat to that position."

He got all blustery, puffed out his chest, and asked, "Is that a THREAT!?"

I responded, "No. It's a warning, and you should consider yourself lucky that you even got a warning form me. Don't come back."

With that, I shut the door. He left, and didn't come back.

BTW, it went pretty much the same way ten years ago.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    Plead the 5th. I respectfully decline to answer the questions based on my 5th amendment right against self incrimination. Then mail it back. After all it was only illegal if you did not return it.
    Bingo! (need 15 charactors to post, hense the crap here after the word bingo...)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Yes I did. About two years ago I got one in the mail, looked over all the personal information it wanted and it stated, "by law I'm required to answer all the info". I tore it up. A month or so later got another one with a nasty cover letter stating if I didn't return this one I would be contacted in person. To make a long story short, they started calling and calling, and I kept telling them, it's non of your business and even read them the constitutional requirements of the census, told them to shove it somewhere. A couple weeks after that a large male showed up at my residence. The wife answered the door and he identified himself with the Census Bureau. Wife calls me to the door, I tell him nothing personal, but get a real job and get the you know what out of here. He started threatening arrest, penalties, jail time, etc. Now it became personal and I became angry and mentioned his illegitimate parents and some other things and again told him to get the you know what out of here and closed the door. Wife didn't want me to get in trouble and went outside and answered only the questions she could answer. Many questions are an invasion of privacy and are none of the governments business. Never heard from then again but I'm sure there will be a next time. There's a big difference between "by law" and what is "Constitutional".